Suburban Farming

I think that's awesome. There is some discussion related to this on Simple Living Network.

I think it’s awesome too. I respect the self sufficiency aspect and aspire to be more like that. It’s hard for me to understand how a family of four in California can pay property tax, car, home and health insurance as well as their other living expenses with only $30,000.

I think that this happens more often in California. There are a number of people in my neighborhood that have at least a partially edible front yard without grass. Most of them look fine and in no way do they detract from the neighborhood. I think that part of it is the Asian influence and part of it is the climate.

CA has a semi-desert, mediterranean climate. We get almost zero rain from May through October. Large "well tended" east coast/english style lawns require huge amounts of water and IMHO do not belong in the CA environment.

MB

If it's working so well for them, why don't they look happier?

dervaes_mn.jpg

If it's working so well for them, why don't they look happier?

My wife and a lot of friends have visited there. despite the pic, T Al, the folks are happy & healthy. Have real musical ho-downs regularly. I need to check out their biodiesel, the only local folks I know who make their own. I have seen the folks walking their goats on the hiking paths, quite a shocker to see a goat on a leash. My wife took out our front lawn and put in cactus & succulents, looks great.

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Actually, Lazy, I think they were emulating that picture. Note the pitchfork.

I think I've finally figured out a crop that I can grow: Christmas Trees.

Tree number one (Doug Fir) has grown this much between 12/07/07:

ChristmasTree1.jpg

and today:

ChristmasTrees 001.jpg

I've got four more planted

Back
Top Bottom