Navy Federal CU Membership Eligiblilty Widens

OAG

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
May be old news but now NFCU is not open to eligible Army and AF personnel. See the home page at www.nfcu.org for details and online or mail in applications.

Either one will work......(test them before you post them).

Nope, NFCU.org won't work for me. Didn't the first time I looked either

odd - clicked R Woods link and it opened up - grabbed the URL and it is this: Navy Federal

Not that it does me and my 4 years as a sonarman any good. Not eligible, though Pentagon Fed accepts me and anyone else with a spare $20.

Question for Navy Fed members:
I'm a USAA and PenFed member. How would I benefit by opening a NavyFed account?
I can think of one--Membership can be passed to the kids and then to their kids someday.
Anything else??

I have been an NFCU member for 20 years and its the only bank/CU I have ever belonged to. I have used them for mortgages, loans, etc.. Never had a problem.

I just joined USAA for the insurance possibilities, so I couldn't tell you the pluses, minuses, etc...

Question for Navy Fed members:
I can think of one--Membership can be passed to the kids and then to their kids someday.
Anything else??

NFCU can be a good source of CD's Rates (not so much lately but they have been in the past) - Sometimes they beat PFCU. Can be another source of deposit insurance to cover savings.

Also, they have about the lowest Car Loans around (without checking; I think they have a 3.75% 36 month loan and beat PFCU.

The legacy factor can be good for the kids and grandkids later. (PFCU has the same option I believe).

BTW NFCU is the #1 (in size/deposits) CU in the USA - PFCU is 3rd.

Cost to open: Nothing (beyond the $5 Share deposit).

Last edited:
Anything else??
I'm with all three now-- NFCU since 1978, USAA since 1981, PenFed since 2006.

Over the last few years PenFed & NFCU have been locked into a vicious struggle to beat each other's CD rates. PenFed has generally been winning but NFCU occasionally pops an extra quarter-point of interest rate onto a high-minimum CD. PenFed must be losing a lot of money on their $1000-minimum CDs, but they offer the best flexibility & rates. NFCU generally offers lower rates on $1000 CDs and only competes at higher minimum balances.

After you've reached your 25th anniversary with NFCU they hand out an extra quarter-point of interest rate on your next CD (or reduce your next consumer loan by a quarter point).

NFCU has generally been better on mortgages & HELOCs, but PenFed is learning fast. I especially like PenFed's "e-mail me when mortgage rates get to my alert levels" website feature, but NFCU just claims to be working hard on a similar feature.

NFCU has more member network ATMs, too, although that's not much of a difference.

I'm with all three now-- NFCU since 1978, USAA since 1981, PenFed since 2006.

After you've reached your 25th anniversary with NFCU they hand out an extra quarter-point of interest rate on your next CD (or reduce your next consumer loan by a quarter point)..

Ok, I'm sold. I'm going to do the threesome also.

Gotta get started on that 25 year deal right away...Sigh, suddenly the idea of buying a bunch of green bananas does not seem so risky.^-^

Back
Top Bottom