I'm a noob with baseball so forgive my ignorance...

Keyboard Ninja

Recycles dryer sheets
If a pitcher is trying to throw out a player at 1st base then why does the 1st baseman try to tag the runner? If he is standing on 1st isn't the runner automatically out if the ball gets there first :confused:

That "force out" play only applies to advancing runners if they are "forced" to advance to the next base by a following runner. In the "pick-off" case you describe, the runner could instead of returning to first base turn and try to steal second base instead. So no "force" by tagging a base instead of a player.

That "force out" play only applies to advancing runners if they are "forced" to advance to the next base by a following runner. In the "pick-off" case you describe, the runner could instead of returning to first base turn and try to steal second base instead. So no "force" by tagging a base instead of a player.

A+

Next question

Name 7 ways a batter can safely reach first base:

1. hit
2. walk

3. hit by pitch
4. run on strike three when catcher doesn't control ball

Here's another one...

Runners on first and second, no outs. The batter swings and puts the ball in play. The defense scores a triple play, but without a single fielder touching the ball. How?

Hint: the ball is hit in the air.

5. Reaching on a fielder's choice.
6. Reaching on an error.

That's the seven I know.

Rich, roster substitution makes eight if you change the question from "batter" to "player".

The batter's out before the ball is caught when the infield fly rule is called.

BTW, that's hint #2 on the triple play question.

Htown Harry:

This is a complete guess regarding your question about the triple play. What if the batter hits a pop up and the infield fly rule is called, but the runner on first base runs and passes the runner on second base in the base path. Is that it?

Htown Harry:

This is a complete guess regarding your question about the triple play. What if the batter hits a pop up and the infield fly rule is called, but the runner on first base runs and passes the runner on second base in the base path. Is that it?

I think only one of them is out....

I don't know the if the infiled fly rules changes anything... but if the base runner interferes with the defense ability to catch the ball or the ball hits the player... that player is out...

Now... let's say the other guy on base thinks it is the third out and goes to the dugout... he has abandoned his base and is called out...

Hope this is not a hijack.

Yogi Berra: Baseball: Inspirational Quotes
Good pitching always stops good hitting and vice versa.

“You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you’re going, because you might not get there.”

Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.

“You should always go to other people’s funerals; otherwise, they won’t come to yours.”

And my favorite:(Yogi’s comment when introduced to the writer Ernest Hemingway.)
“Yeah, what paper do you write for, Ernie?”

1. walk
2. intentional walk
3. hit by pitch
4. dropped 3rd strike
5. failure to deliver pitch in 20 seconds
6. catcher interference
7. fielder interference
8. spectator interference
9. fan obstruction
10. fair ball hits ump
11. fair ball hits runner
12. fielder obstructs runner
13. pinch-runner
14. fielder's choice
15. force out at another base
16. preceding runner put-out allows batter to reach first
17. sac bunt fails to advance runner
18. sacrifice fly dropped
19. runner called out on appeal
20. error
21. four illegal pitches
22. single
23. game suspended with runner on first, that player is traded prior to the makeup;
new player is allowed to take his place

the weird triple play

ball is batted such that the infield fly rule is invoked, the runner on second guesses this and stops watching the ball while returning to his base. the runner on first bolts and passes the runner on second, he's out. all the while people have stopped paying attention to the ball and it hits the runner that started on second, third out.

okay how about a triple play without the ball evering being put in play by the batter?

This thread reminds me of a baseball question I heard several years ago. The question is what is the maximum possible number of runs that can score on one pitch, and the answer (according to this former college baseball player) is not four. Has anyone heard this? Is it possible to score more than 4 runs on one pitch?

well you don't score on a pitch do you? you score by stealing or hitting

This thread reminds me of a baseball question I heard several years ago. The question is what is the maximum possible number of runs that can score on one pitch, and the answer (according to this former college baseball player) is not four. Has anyone heard this? Is it possible to score more than 4 runs on one pitch?

Bases loaded and one pitch is a grand slam one pitch 4 runs.

Back
Top Bottom