PCS choices: want to stay overseas

Keyboard Ninja

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm working on my 2nd PCS assignment dream sheet and I would like to stay overseas. I have my 8 choices with all extended long tours, and zero CONUS choices. Would this show that I want to volunteer and stay overseas? or does it even matter?

Don't know if the AF has such a program, but, in the Army long ago, we could apply for what they called something like an inter-theater transfer. Applied on paper and most were approved. Also we were allowed to extend the current assignment. Personally, I spent a total of 9 OS (mostly Far East a that time) out of the first 17 years in the Army. Much easier as an enlisted person versus an officer. It probably does not matter to the service where you are or they send you so you have to ask if you want to influence the action (IMO).

I used to work at a San Diego training command. We quickly learned that when new instructors reported aboard from Yokosuka, kicking & screaming the entire flight, the first words out of their mouths after "Reporting for duty" were "... and I'd like to go back to Japan next!" Some of those guys were overseas for their entire careers between bootcamp & retirement, and I know a few that still haven't come back.

Similar situation in Hawaii.

I have my 8 choices with all extended long tours, and zero CONUS choices. Would this show that I want to volunteer and stay overseas? or does it even matter?
If your dream sheet was submitted to the Navy's BUPERS, it'd be proudly displayed in their "Hall of Fame" trophy case and make the front page of Navy Times.

You'll get something overseas, in some climate. I guess the big question is whether it'll be in Hongul or Farsi... or Bantu.

When I was in the army they always seemed happy to extend people overseas who wanted it or to transfer them to another overseas assignment if they wanted that. It saves a whole lot of money. I have heard that recently there are lots of people trying to extend in Korea and Europe to avoid coming home to have to deploy to Iraq so I would think there would be seriously limitations on those extensions now.
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom