Unpatriotic to retire early?!

These people are short-sighted and selfish. They expect other people to continue to prop up what they want in government by shaming them into continue working and having nearly half of what they earn taken in taxes.

As I've said repeatedly on this topic, I think it's more beneficent for someone who can afford not to work to step aside and create a job opening for someone who needs it.

As I've said repeatedly on this topic, I think it's more beneficent for someone who can afford not to work to step aside and create a job opening for someone who needs it.
So true. I have pity for those misguided souls who can't let go of the rat race for fear they will no longer be "productive". I'm not mentioning any names, but we have a prime example right here in our midst...

Yarrow notes that when people work longer, they not only continue to pay taxes and produce additional goods and services to spur the economy, but also slow the growth of the national debt.
How about reducing government spending and getting the unemployed to work?

I am confused... After watching TV recently, I had come to believe that being patriotic meant wearing an American flag pin on your lapel! So if you buy a $0.25 pin and still retire early, would it be OK? :p

The author is probably right, but I think I'm leaving early anyway...

I am confused... After watching TV recently, I had come to believe that being patriotic meant wearing an American flag pin on your lapel! So if you buy a $0.25 pin and still retire early, would it be OK? :p

Don't forget putting a patriotic bumper sticker (regardless of where it is made) on one's vehicle

Maybe it's time for us to make a bumper sticker that reads....

Be Selfish and Unpatriotic...Retire Early.

I've been working since I was 12, I will retire early no matter what the hell anyone thinks.

It's wrong if you leave on your own, but it's OK if the company decides they don't need lets you go. :confused:

So true. I have pity for those misguided souls who can't let go of the rat race for fear they will no longer be "productive". I'm not mentioning any names, but we have a prime example right here in our midst...

Hey he contributed a 0.1 FTE for the cause :D.

DD

Good thing I generally don't give a rats azz what others think!

Yarrow urges the nation's 78 million baby boomers to forgo traditional or early retirement and work for a few more years, for their own sake and the good of the country.

If boomers all turn in their keys at age 55, 62 or 65 and head for the Tuscan hills, that great sucking sound you'll hear is untold amounts of taxpayer dollars being leached from the economy. That is money heirs will either have to replace or do without.

It's an act Yarrow calls "profoundly selfish and unpatriotic."
Wow - that's a good one. The poor heirs!!!! The heirs will have to earn their own money instead of spending their parents!

What a bizarre twisted reason for disapproving of early retirement.

Notice he doesn't even favor "traditional" retirement - gosh, taking off and heading for the hills at 65!!.....

Audrey

Sorry, but I disagree with the article (page 2 did not work by the way).

Retirees still pay taxes on their retirement income.

Retirees still buy goods and services.

Retirees may actuall spend more on some goods and services than before they were retired. For example: travel and medical care.

Many retirees continue to invest in college savings plans for grandkids.

With downsizing and moving products overseas the GDP of manufactured goods is decreasing in the US and has nothing to do with retirees. It is about labor costs and the US cannot compete with developing countries in this area. The few remaining employees are doing much more work than even a few years ago.

What jobs are going to be around for older folks? Early retirement packages abound as American business continues to downsize to lower costs. The trend seems to be to get rid of the higher paid older worker and replace them with younger cheaper ones or to "job share" and dump the workload on fewer and fewer workers. There will be no place for the older worker.

Heirs won't get money from their parents. How sad! I plan to die waving my last dollar to the undertaker. If there is anything left then my kids or their kids can buy a six pack or two. They know this and don't really expect anything. Just like I don't expect anything from my mother when she dies. It is not important to us because we don't need it. If there is anything I plan on donating some and putting the rest in a trust for future generations. I can think of nothing more disgusting than my relatives clawing and scratching (each other) for a few bucks from my estate.

If one is FI then retirement is possible without having to work another day. It is not selfish nor is it unpatriotic. It is misguided to assume otherwise.

Gosh, now it's unpatriotic to retire early. Man, that hurts, especially on the fourth of July! Here I thought that patriotism was just a matter of spending my stimulous check on stuff I did'nt want or need. Check it out:

Is Retiring Early Unpatriotic? - AOL Money & Finance

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
The Ultimate Cheapskate

"The debt currently stands at $9.3 trillion and is largely driven by rising Medicare and Social Security costs."

I think that quote from the article shows just how ignorant the author is so I wouldn't worry about the rest of it.

My wife ER'ed at 49 (3 yrs ago) with only 401k, no pension. I am working part-time, mainly because I am not sure I am FI (two children still attending college). When my friends ask me how we do it, I reply "Because I work less, I simply have to eat less (meaning consuming/spending less)". Isn't that fair?

I think other nonER'ers are just envious, and just trying to make us feel guilty.:p

China's Share

"The debt currently stands at $9.3 trillion and is largely driven by rising Medicare and Social Security costs."

Maybe this author hasn't noticed but we are engaged in a two front war that will last for decades. I see that he has left out the cost of those wars, instead suggesting that the way to save money is to not retire "early".

I suggest we remove our armies from the field as soon as possible and let China take over our efforts. They have the man power and resources to take our place.

I'm for China doing their share and all the Boomers that can, retiring early.

b.

Well, if we don't retire early, then we don't need to save and invest so much money. That means no investment in future production and GDP growth, so we will spend our money buying more imports. Does that sound patriotic? Hogwash! FIREes are just as patriotic as those who choose otherwise, and probably even more, because they know how to LBYMs, where those who don't are more likely not to even know what LBYMs means.
R

Yes... unpatriotic. Keep yourself tied to the yoke until you die so you can help someone else not work and become wealthy. Continue working till you die or dies shortly after retirement, that way your pension is cleared from the books and your other assets will be spent by someone else.

That guy can k!$$ my ER bound @$$. I could care less what the $h!th3@d thinks. I hope he continues to work so SS is funded. Of course, I will bet that hypocritical jerk did not serve in the military... his patriotic gestures probably beging and end with a generous spew of empty rhetoric.

If you mean me, I'm not "productive." I just take their money. :angel:

I am wary of people who apply labels, blame and judgements to a block of people - in this case early retirees. If there is anything I've learned from participating here is we are a diverse group of people with many reasons for retiring (or planing to retire) early.

Back
Top Bottom