When I'm 64

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
...or um 94. Will you still need me, will you still feed me?

Something about an old post Audrey resurected got me thinking about longevity on this board. It isn't surprising that there are few very old posters today. The internet simply hasn't been around long enough for many 80/90 year olds to have joined an ER forum. But there are a lot of us here in the first wave of the boomers. For many of us this has become an enjoyable community and I would suspect we will stay on board for the long haul. Kind of a sad topic but in 10, 20, 30 years we will start dying off. It will be pretty weird to see posters you have come to think of as friends simply disappear with no way to find out if they are still kicking. I'm not sure it makes sense today (or maybe ever for some fiercely anonymous posters) but when we notice the disappearances starting to pick up maybe we should discuss adding a contact feature to our profiles. Something like an optional "in the event I suddenly disappear" email contact.

donheff, good idea. There was a discussion a couple of years back on this same subject and the consensus at that time was to try to arrange for some sort of notification on our end. I have a "In Case of Death or Incapacitation" letter I update annually and I've included something in it about notifying the forum of my decline/demise

REW, is there someone on your end that the forum members can notify of your decline? :D

And Donheff, I agree, it is a good idea: I still wonder about Astro, honestly.

Well, maybe a few years down the road we can add a 70+ or 75+ forum for those of us who will be turning into old curmudgeons and at the same time we can add a "contact my heirs" feature or something. Of course, maybe none of us we be able to remember we were interested in such a thing.:)

REW, is there someone on your end that the forum members can notify of your decline? :D

And Donheff, I agree, it is a good idea: I still wonder about Astro, honestly.

I was probably the last one to talk to her. She is on another board I frequent. She is fine and very busy.

Something like an optional "in the event I suddenly disappear" email contact.

Already got one. In case the gummint offs me emails will be automatically sent out all over the world with proof about the Kennedy shootings, the moon landing, the Stargate and other supposed "conspiracies". >:D

I think it is a pretty good idea. Nice one donheff :)

Back
Top Bottom