Good news for foreign travel - dollar will strenghten

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Redeker Says BNP Paribas 'Very Bearish' on Euro, Pound - Recherche vidéo sur Truveo

This guy is pretty good.
He is forecasting euro parity with the US$ in 5 years.

The down side is that your foreign investments and US exports will go down.
I'm guessing that it would also mean oil will go down also (oil up, dollar down/)

Redeker Sees Dollar Rising as Capital Returns to U.S. - Recherche vidéo sur Truveo
Here he says euro = 1.20 in 2009

So I'm guessing there is some money to be made in the euro - buy the 1.20 bounce and then sell.

In the late 90's, when I worked in France (I was based in the US, but had a small staff, along with my boss, there), the Euro started out at about being 1EU = .78 USD.

How things change :bat: ....

My DW/me still go there 1/2x a year in our retirement travels and I've been keeping my Euros rather than cashing them in (hey, I'm going long on FOREX!).

- Ron

I have been saying for a while that the Euro is way, way overvalued relative to the USD (particularly based on purchasing power parity). I have been waiting to purchase a condo in western Europe for a few years now. It looks like, with a weaker Euro and a weakening real estate market in some parts of Europe, I may be able to find some bargains in a few years.

I just booked two nights stay in an Amsterdam Hotel prior to a guided "all-inclusive" tour...geez, the rates for a nice room are outrageous! Our first international trip. Guess I will rethink Euro trips in the future!

Thai Baht

Retired living in Thailand. I've seen the Baht move the last few months for 30/31 baht to the dollar to 35 baht to the dollar. It's great, now I need the stock market to go up so I can enjoy it some.:)

Retired living in Thailand. I've seen the Baht move the last few months for 30/31 baht to the dollar to 35 baht to the dollar. It's great, now I need the stock market to go up so I can enjoy it some.:)

You got to hope Tarisa Watanagase gets her act together. She is stubbornly refusing to lower interest rates and exports and tourism is suffering as a consequence.

A Bangsaen dweller

When Billy and I arrived in Chapala, Mexico at the end of August this year, the Mexican peso was about 10 to the dollar. It is now about 12.5 to the dollar. We have enjoyed the benefits of the increased buying power in just about every category: our rent is in pesos, and food, dining, entertainment, transport, etc. all have been cheaper now that our dollar buys more.

So even though the markets took a nosedive, the strengthening of the dollar has been appreciated. We notice the difference on a daily basis.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Back
Top Bottom