Tool to report spam

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Does the forum have a tool to report spam? It would seem that there would be a button or link for member to report a thread that looks like spam.

For that matter, Why not just have the thread quarantined temporarily Or marked in the summary lists as suspected spam until a moderator can get to it.

Crowd policing this is going to be much more effective addressing the problem.

It probably would be a good idea to limit the quarantine ability to members that have a certain number of posts and membership time to limit vandalism. For example, anyone can report spam. long-time members reports quarantine and mark it (for speedy filtering).

And finally setup a feature that lets members filter out suspected spam.

Does the forum have a tool to report spam? It would seem that there would be a button or link for member to report a thread that looks like spam.
Yes. Click on the triangle icon under [-]your[/-] the avatar on the post you want to report.
img_731949_0_3b4cb1480bb7b8da4672b75b4a2b76a6.gif

Last edited:
Why is this tool so slow? When I report spam- usually late at night-there is a pretty long lag before my screen clears again.

Ha

For that matter, Why not just have the thread quarantined temporarily Or marked in the summary lists as suspected spam until a moderator can get to it.
Crowd policing this is going to be much more effective addressing the problem.
It probably would be a good idea to limit the quarantine ability to members that have a certain number of posts and membership time to limit vandalism. For example, anyone can report spam. long-time members reports quarantine and mark it (for speedy filtering).
And finally setup a feature that lets members filter out suspected spam.
Lemme get this straight: you're asking for more moderation? And not only that, you're asking for it from people who might not even be moderators?

I don't know if there's an ISO9001 standard for spam response times, but usually by the time I'm booting up my computer (9-10 AM EST) the day's spam has been dealt with. Heck, I hardly even see spam at night after the rest of you have gone offline.

I just wanted to add that we mods REALLY APPRECIATE those of you who take the time to report spam!! We would probably see it eventually, but reports really help to speed up spam deletion.

We don't generally take the time to thank spam reporters for their individual reports (too many of them), so I wanted to thank you here and now!

Lemme get this straight: you're asking for more moderation? And not only that, you're asking for it from people who might not even be moderators?

I don't know if there's an ISO9001 standard for spam response times, but usually by the time I'm booting up my computer (9-10 AM EST) the day's spam has been dealt with. Heck, I hardly even see spam at night after the rest of you have gone offline.

I am amazed at how fast spam goes away.

I'm on the 9AM Eastern time zone shift.

Khan, we race one another to trash and ban the spam--the last one to catch one is a rotten egg!
Seriously, we do try to beat each other to the button every time spam is reported! :)

Khan, we race one another to trash and ban the spam--the last one to catch one is a rotten egg!
Seriously, we do try to beat each other to the button every time spam is reported! :)

Yes - this is true, you should see the hash marks on the wall in the mods break room. :) It's only a little twisted - kinda like swatting flies as a competitive sport.

No spam at this point in time so no hash mark.

I just reported my first spammer! I had to hunt around a bit to find out how, so here's a comment to bring the relevant thread to the top again in case anyone else is wondering.

With a poster name like "Annuity Rates", you know it's gotta be spam!
:confused:but that wasn't the poster's name:confused: You're pulling my leg, right? 'cos I just checked and the message I reported is gone now.

:confused:but that wasn't the poster's name:confused: You're pulling my leg, right? 'cos I just checked and the message I reported is gone now.
Yep, that was the name. Maybe he felt that he'd finally be at home on a board about early retirement.

When I'm on this board at 8 PM HST, most of the spammers are just warming up and getting started. I seem to stumble across them once or twice a week.

Two different spammers around the same time, one for cheap shoes and the other pushing annuities. Both reported and deleted.

Two different spammers around the same time, one for cheap shoes and the other pushing annuities. Both reported and deleted.
It was the shoes I reported. Wow, zap two spammers for the price of one :)

Back
Top Bottom