ipod shuffle problem

WM

Full time employment: Posting here.
DH has had an ipod shuffle (the little one that clips on) for several years and really likes it. It came with a charging/sync station that plugs into the computer via a usb port. Generally, when you plug it in, the computer sees it and asks what you want to do with it.

This past year, I was using my personal computer for work, and they "upgraded" me from xp home to xp pro so I'd be compatible. No problems with the ipod that I recall during this period. But because of some bad side effects from the "pro," I converted the computer back to xp home using the restore disk a few months ago.

Since then, my other problems are fixed, and I haven't encountered any glitches, although of course I had to re-install my other software. However, the ipod isn't behaving right - it takes several tries to plug it in and have the computer "see" it. We haven't been able to figure out what makes it work, we just keep trying things until it does.

Any ideas? Is it possible the charging station is worn out somehow? Tonight, DH's success came after he took it off the charger and wiped off the connector (not that it really looked dirty). Or the usb connector? Again, it doesn't look like anything's wrong with it. But I'll take any suggestions anyone's got!

A few months ago I added a new hard drive to my computer. It replaced my C drive, so I had to reinstall Windows XP. When I plugged in my ipod shuffle I remember getting a warning that my device would work better if I upgraded to USB 2. It turns out that my XP installation did not included the upgrade to USB 2, it was still using USB 1.

I don't remember how I upgraded, but it's probably at the MIcrosoft site somehwere.

Also, check your iTunes preferences and options. Did you install the newest version of iTunes? Have you tried another USB port?

I had one of the original shuffles. It didn't use a charging dock, it just connected to a USB port. I recently got the new iPod Nano (4th generation). Cool little gizmo that I got for free from opening a checking account and jumping through a few hoops, I needed to complete some required transactions.

One thing that can really help with software glitches on iPods is to plug them into the wall outlet using that square box outlet (not all of the iPods come with this, so you might need to beg/borrow/buy one). That resets a lot of problems.

Interesting. Thanks, I'll try these suggestions. We don't have the plug-in box, but we can probably find someone who does. My USB ports all run other devices fine, so I don't think it's the computer, but I don't know if I'm running 1 or 2, so maybe that will help.

Back
Top Bottom