What is on your "Recession Things To buy List"

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I don't have many things on my "Recession things to buy List" but I'm starting to think about it:

+++ Electronics
Lenovo S10 netbook now about $400
LCD television - large ones should be in the $500 area by xmas

+++Clothing
Travel suit jacket - light and non wrinkle - any suggestion where to buy?

+++Travel
Spring in Italy?
Summer - RV US West
Winter US - in Australia?

+++Exercise Equipment - instead of a Gym fee?

+++Food
Discounted Restaurant gift cards
Stock up on some canned goods

There will be some fantastic sales the xmas. But, I can not think of any other things to buy during the recession.

What is on your "Recession things to buy List"?

House - it's just a case of finding something with like with a seller that is not delusional about it's value and it will be a done deal.

Has nothing to to do with with recession buying, but my suburban is going to need winter tires. Would be nice if tire prices came down to earth.

They seem to be in rocket up, feather down pricing mode.

Like you, I'm thinking about a TV. Other than that, nothing comes to mind.
Check out Travelsmith for the suit--I like their stuff pretty well.

I'll be looking at 2 new TV's, a 26in and a 47in. LCD. I am also looking for a 4x4 utility ATV, hopefully at a deep discount from someone who is "de-leveraging". ;)

Might try to pick up a lightly used pontoon boat...and possibly a large LCD if the prices drop significantly (although I don't watch that much TV).

Nothing really - maybe a new recliner. For the TV shoppers, I think I saw coupons off several tvs in the newest Costco coupon mailer thing that came out last weekend. Since I'm not shopping for one, I didn't actually look into it, but if you're shopping for a new set, you might check.

Already bought a car.

Video camera looking at the Sony SR 11 HD one. Waiting till after Thanksgiving to see if any deals appear. Might buy an HD TV too as long as they are giving stuff away.. :)

stocks.
trip to Scandinavia next Spring.
Perhaps a new car to replace DW's 11 year old car...
new digital camera.

A laptop, if I can convince myself I need it. It's hard to spend the bucks.

DW and I just signed up to go to Sydney in late February.

Other than that I am looking for some additional woodworking tools on the cheap, a 1968-70 Ford Bronco that needs some work, and a clue as to what to get DW for Christmas.

stocks.
trip to Scandinavia next Spring.
Perhaps a new car to replace DW's 11 year old car...
new digital camera.

Firedreamer, if you need any help with your trip to Scandinavia, let me know. My neck of the woods as it were....

Firedreamer, if you need any help with your trip to Scandinavia, let me know. My neck of the woods as it were....

Thanks! I might send you a PM as our plans become more defined. I am going to Copenhagen for a week (I don't know when yet) and while I am there I wanted to drive to Malmo and perhaps, if I am lucky, push all the way to Stockholm (it will depend on how much time off I can get). I have always wanted to visit Scandinavia so I am very excited about it!

Second the Travelsmith recommendation, Dex. Here's a blazer that fits your criteria:

Men's Classic Machine-Washable Two Button Coat - TravelSmith

As far as stuff -- we'd love a bigger house. Hopefully the slump in housing prices will hang on for a couple more years while we save up a down payment.

I third the Travelsmith recommendation. But I buy Travelsmith dresses on Ebay at a substantial discount (I've done it twice). Sometimes you can find something on Ebay that is still for sale at Travelsmith's web site so you can check out the size information from the source.

I plan on buying absolutly nothing that I don't have to buy. My tv just broke and instead of buying a new one I canceled my cable. I need to increase my e-fund. If I buy anything it'll be a low-end laptop as my current desktop is 7 years old and very slow.

Already burned through a boat load of cash fixing up the new (old in dog years) homestead (New kitchen/2 new baths). Now, can't think of a thing we need and not much we want - except - a new homestead. This time, with a view of the water. Can't believe what we once thought was "perfect" is now only "way more than adequate". Any further fluctuation in real estate prices cuts both ways, though I fear less so for those who had the foresight to purchase on the bay.

But, other than that....

It's disturbing to walk through the stores - especially when recently visiting the mainland - seeing real "values" for which we have no need. Why can't it be the other way around. (No, not higher prices on things we need! Somebody did mention tires, darn it.)

Haven't been into "stuff" for ages. I'm probably the only poster who doesn't own an Ipod. Buy my CD's at GW or SA. $1 or $2 at most. Have WAY more than I can ever listen to.

Oh yeah! Hoping for a vinyl to CD converter for Xmas. I haven't been very good this year, though. Only bought DW a kitchen and 2 bathrooms! (No, as a matter of fact, I never use the kitchen and only use one bath, so it IS all HERS).

Still using the old Hi 8 camcorder instead of springing for a chip type camera. Maybe Best Buys will have a big sale. DW already wonders how much beach fauna I really need to tape. Silly girl, I'm actually trying to learn how to surf - from the shore. She's not buyin' it.

Actually, DW wishes I'd spend some money on clothes. Had to rent a Tux for a wedding on the mainland. Other than that, I don't own a suit or even a tie - I do own one pair of long pants and a long sleeved shirt for air travel. Since I have enough shorts and T's that we only have to do laundry once a week, I think that's enough.

Next trip to mainland, we want to do the Keys for the first time or else the Rockies for the nth time.

Still exploring Oahu, so have lots to keep us busy, travel wise.

Already did Xmas for the kids when back on mainland.

So, maybe we can save some money now.

Much Aloha,

Well the dishwasher made a funny noise, and the microwave isn't working as well as it used to . . .

And if Mr. Market will just even out his temperature a bit (these high fevers followed by chills aren't healthy!), a return trip to Oz would be lovely.

-- Rita

Haven't been into "stuff" for ages. I'm probably the only poster who doesn't own an Ipod.

I have never owned or used an Ipod. I've also never owned or used a digital camera or a phone that does more than make a phone call or text.

Haven't been into "stuff" for ages. I'm probably the only poster who doesn't own an Ipod.

I have never owned an iPod, but mostly because I just can't justify it to myself. I don't think I would use it. They seem like black holes into which to toss money.

There are a lot of things that I will want, AFTER I retire and move north. Anything I buy right now will have to be moved (ugh). I am watching car prices though I didn't plan to buy one until after the move. I want a treadmill but I am trying to use a little self-discipline and wait so that I don't have to move it. Besides, I'd like to take my time and try to get a great price on one through Craigs List, as Nords has recommended in the past.

I was just saying to DW last night that it might be time to take the jump to a flat screen LCD or plasma TV this winter when the Xmas fire sales are in full swing. We still have a stodgy old CRT. I figure if I don't jump at one of these deals I'll be kicking myself a year or so later when our TV goes out and the prices have gone back up significantly.

Maybe a laptop computer too. I'll have to shop around - on the web. I hate shopping the stores, especially during the holidays.

I have never owned an iPod, but mostly because I just can't justify it to myself. I don't think I would use it. They seem like black holes into which to toss money.

I use a simple little IPod shuffle. Very reliable and small and easy to use. Only about fifty bucks. And I use it all the time, listening to podcasts. Very good value for me.

But I know what you mean about the other IPods.

Back
Top Bottom