Fire! Fire!---Not FIRE

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
It's the season when they allow logging. which reduces intensity and frequency of wildfires.

So the answer is no.

California seasons:drought fire flood earthquake

it's smoky out there - luckily seems like the winds are on my side for now, but i've made a mental note of our important things to grab if we have 10 minutes to evacuate...

My friend called to tell us that he was having to evacuate his Yorba Linda home last night at 9 PM. He just got out of the hospital the day before after his 5th surgery for cancer and was not feeling well. We couldn't get to him to assist. Damn it!

This morning the fire has moved into Chino Hills nearing my sister and her family. So far they are OK. Seems like the winds aren't as bad right now. Hopefully, the crews can save the homes in Carbon Canyon and turn the fire on itself soon and keep it from working its way up the canyon towards her house.

Its terrible. That fire spreads so fast. They talked about a mobile home park that got flattened.

Overpopulation meets Global Warming.

We had friends evacuate and stay with us for the weekend. Their place is OK but they were as freaked out this weekend as we were earlier in the summer when we wanted to evacuate...

I've got a HUGE appreciation for California's firefighters, though. They're fighting fires in 70-mph winds. How many crazy people out there will willingly fight wildfires in hurricane-force winds?

Now we're getting ready for mudslide/flooding season, since the mountains behind our house are nekkid, nekkid, nekkid. Ugh.

Now we're getting ready for mudslide/flooding season, since the mountains behind our house are nekkid, nekkid, nekkid. Ugh.

Got a great solution for you. Kudzu. Worked wonderfully down south. :eek:

I lived in California - Yosemite foothills from 1987 to 1996, charming old mining town of Mariposa. Terrible droughts resulted in many years of horrific fires. The ranch was next to a fire station and I witnessed the bravery of the firefighters, as they literally put their lives on the line, year after year. One of my friends was on a call with his bulldozer (D8) when the wind changed & he & the dozer were engulfed in flames - the machine was destoyed, but thankfully Fritz managed to survive - and yes, the smoke, heat, and lack of oxygen is truly hell on earth.
You can't begin to imagine the devastation or terror of an out of control fire!

Those currently in the path of the latest fire, are in my thoughts and prayers.

The firefighters and other officials who fought these fires did an amazing job! Also have to give a shout out to Kcal9/cbs2 news who stayed up all night saturday night (along with me watching) covering the fire. It was the only way I could stay abreast of the fire's progress as it creaped toward my parents house! Uggg...

The air support on Sunday was incredible and stopped the fires from engulfing more homes than it had already taken on the insanely hot/windy Saturday before. Unfortunately, a lot of homes were lost on Saturday due to the raging winds and flying embers. The embers were allowing the fire to hopscotch and jump several miles away, creating hotspots and the poor firefighters had to try and get ahead of those little spots before they grew larger.It didn't matter how far you lived from the fire, it was leaping it's way closer every hour or so and it was so stressful to watch. Smaller fires blended with larger fires..it was a harrowing weekend. Over 20k acres burned on this side of LA.

I saw some of those bulldozer workers and they were really committed - the fire would be right next to them on the hillside and they would keep on dozing right next to it so I could see how your friend would get engulfed with a shift in the winds...

Today we finally get a breath of fresh air and it no longer smells like an ash tray outside and paranoid mom of asthmatic daughter can relax again.

I grew up in this area and we'd see a major fire maybe one or two times in the 25 plus years we've been here - since we moved back we've seen one every year...it's a bit disheartening...

Back
Top Bottom