connecting electronic components of different eras

tightasadrum

Full time employment: Posting here.
Technology continues to move ahead, but I still have stuff from a different era. Here's the problem:

I purchased a DVD/VHS recorder for Christmas to try to get everything on DVD's instead of tape. The new recorder has a HDMI cable connector which hooks nicely into the HDTV, but TV speakers are not the sound quality I want. I'd like for the amp/tuner to be in the loop so my sound system can be used with movies. However, the old tuner/amp does not have an HDMI slot.

Can I leave the HDMI cable connected from the DVD to the TV for best quality picture and also connect RCA plugs from the DVD player to the tuner/amp and have the surround speakers work with the DVD?

It's really a pain in the *ss to get to all those wires, so I only want to do it once. Has anyone had any experience with this problem? I really prefer not to buy a new tuner/amp just to get HDMI connectivity.

Generally, you have to use one kind of cable system. So if you want HDMI for the TV, then you need an amp with HDMI switching.

The last time I went through this, it was to use co-axial audio that came with a
DVD player. By the time I was done, it was a new amp, sub-woofer and tape player.

Later this year, I expect to move to HD, forcing another AMP change........

I purchased a DVD/VHS recorder for Christmas to try to get everything on DVD's instead of tape. The new recorder has a HDMI cable connector which hooks nicely into the HDTV, but TV speakers are not the sound quality I want. I'd like for the amp/tuner to be in the loop so my sound system can be used with movies. However, the old tuner/amp does not have an HDMI slot.

Can I leave the HDMI cable connected from the DVD to the TV for best quality picture and also connect RCA plugs from the DVD player to the tuner/amp and have the surround speakers work with the DVD?

Absolutely, this will work. Only trouble is, when you switch the HDTV
to another source, you'll still be getting the DVD sound out of your amp.

My HDTV has audio OUTPUTS, and I run RCA cables from those to aux
input RCA jacks on my vintage Dynaco pre-amp and even more vintage
MacIntosh tube power amp. So whenever I switch my HDTV to select
different inputs - among HD tuner (it doesn't have built-in digital, aka
ATSC, tuner), DVD recorder, VHS recorder - the sound coming out the
stereo switches with it. I never use the speakers in the HDTV, ever.
This all has the added benefit that the volume and mute controls on
the HDTV remote affect the signal levels coming out of the HDTV's
audio outputs, so I have that functionality even though my pre-amp
is way too old for that kind of stuff. (To make this work, it's
necessary to use the HDTV's menus to disable its internal speakers).

So if you want HDMI for the TV, then you need an amp with HDMI switching.

Huh ?

Absolutely, this will work. Only trouble is, when you switch the HDTV
to another source, you'll still be getting the DVD sound out of your amp.

My HDTV has audio OUTPUTS, and I run RCA cables from those to aux
input RCA jacks on my vintage Dynaco pre-amp and even more vintage
MacIntosh tube power amp. So whenever I switch my HDTV to select
different inputs - among HD tuner (it doesn't have built-in digital, aka
ATSC, tuner), DVD recorder, VHS recorder - the sound coming out the
stereo switches with it. I never use the speakers in the HDTV, ever.
This all has the added benefit that the volume and mute controls on
the HDTV remote affect the signal levels coming out of the HDTV's
audio outputs, so I have that functionality even though my pre-amp
is way too old for that kind of stuff. (To make this work, it's
necessary to use the HDTV's menus to disable its internal speakers).

Huh ?

Ok. I get the part about the audio output from the HDTV to the tuner and such, but I don't follow the detail after that. Anyway, I'll look at my HDTV and see if I can find some audio outputs. I have no problem with not using the puny speakers from the HDTV. I can get a better sound from the tuner/amp anyway, and with my sorry hearing it helps me understand the conversations better.

I guess I could have been clearer. Part of the joy of DVD movies, is the high quality sound that comes with Dolby Digital 5.1 or better. Yes, you can take the audio from the RCA jacks on the back of the HDTV(red and white) and run them through your old amp with the sound from the HDTV speakers off. And, yes this will sound better than just the two HDTV speakers.

However, this will not be Dolby Digital 5.1 or better. The audio that comes from the jacks is stereo two channel.

To get Dolby Digital 5.1 or better, you must send the audio to the Amp via the HDMI cable. The Amp then will split the audio into left, right, rear, center, and sub-woof.

HDMI switching refers to the fact that many HDTV's come with only two HDMI inputs. If you use one for your cable, and one for a HD-DVD, you are done. If you need more than two inputs, say a third for a game player, you will be unable to attach it to the tv.

An HDMI switching AMP may have 4 or more HDMI inputs and allow you to choose which to send to your HDTV. This AMP will also support your need for Dolby Digital sound into five or more channels.

SteveL,

I get it now. I have two HDMI inputs on the HDTV. I helped my MIL purchase the same brand recently (Samsung) that is a series 5. It has three HDMI inputs. I also bought her a Sony sound system for Christmas that has 5 HDMI plugs. If I had that unit, my problems would be solved.

My other option would be to forget the HDMI route and use a different wiring format like component video or S-video I suppose. Then I could get the sound back with 5.1 surround but with lower level of picture.

I really hate the idea of having to purchase another amp when the two I have work perfectly well.

Ok. I get the part about the audio output from the HDTV to the tuner and such, but I don't follow the detail after that.

I'm saying, when you press change the "volume" (or press "mute") on
your HDTV's remote control, with any luck this will also change the
level of the audio signal coming out of your HDTV's audio-output jacks,
meaning the sound you're listening to through your regular stereo's
amp and speakers will also change volume or mute. Note - I have a
friend for whom this doesn't work (volume/mute only changes his
HDTV's built-in speakers, the audio-output levels are unaffected) - so
YMMV.

I guess I could have been clearer. Part of the joy of DVD movies, is the high quality sound that comes with Dolby Digital 5.1 or better. Yes, you can take the audio from the RCA jacks on the back of the HDTV(red and white) and run them through your old amp with the sound from the HDTV speakers off. And, yes this will sound better than just the two HDTV speakers.

However, this will not be Dolby Digital 5.1 or better. The audio that comes from the jacks is stereo two channel.

Ok, I understand now, thanks.

So it requires a whole new amp and speakers (or at least add'l speakers).
I wonder if it really sounds better than simple 2-channel stereo through my
audiophile-quality stereo system ?

Well guys, I struggled through the rewiring fiasco. I used the RCA audio output from the HDTV to the tuner/amp. It works! You're probably right about it not being a true 5.1 Surround Sound!!!!!!!, but hey. It's much better than the sorry TV speakers. Thanks.

I hope to remodel my basement into a Scottish Pub, office and Home Theater over the next year. I'll focus my technology dollars into that effort for the maximum effect. Thanks for the help.

Oh, looks like I'll have to turn off (or turn way down) the HDTV speakers when I'm using the sound system. They both stay on, but that's really no big deal.

SteveL,

I get it now. I have two HDMI inputs on the HDTV. I helped my MIL purchase the same brand recently (Samsung) that is a series 5. It has three HDMI inputs. I also bought her a Sony sound system for Christmas that has 5 HDMI plugs. If I had that unit, my problems would be solved.

My other option would be to forget the HDMI route and use a different wiring format like component video or S-video I suppose. Then I could get the sound back with 5.1 surround but with lower level of picture.

I really hate the idea of having to purchase another amp when the two I have work perfectly well.

There is method to the madness of the government in forcing the move to digital tv, and ultimately HD only. The method is to boost the economy by forcing all the techno geeks to buy all new gear every three or four years. I too will have to dump my amp once I want to switch to an HDTV. It sucks.

Ok, I understand now, thanks.

So it requires a whole new amp and speakers (or at least add'l speakers).
I wonder if it really sounds better than simple 2-channel stereo through my
audiophile-quality stereo system ?

If you have good quality surround speakers, properly placed in the room, and a good sub-woofer, the sound will knock you out!

If you have good quality surround speakers, properly placed in the room, and a good sub-woofer, the sound will knock you out!

It's subjective. Myself, I would vastly prefer "audiophile quality stereo" to "good quality" 5.1 channels. But if you are watching Jurassic Park, and want to feel the dino's walk, a "good quality" sub woofer and surround sound is a fun experience.

-ERD50

It's subjective. Myself, I would vastly prefer "audiophile quality stereo" to "good quality" 5.1 channels. But if you are watching Jurassic Park, and want to feel the dino's walk, a "good quality" sub woofer and surround sound is a fun experience.

-ERD50

For music, all the surround stuff dooesn't cut it. Both my CD player and amp have many ways to shape the sound to make it supposedly better for listening to jazz or whatever. Mostly it just makes it sound funny, and just a pair of good speakers (I like the woofer too) make pretty good sound.

But, to hear the Death Star explode, you need all those surround speakers.

Back
Top Bottom