Bluetooth speaker/mic for senior cellphone use

jsncpa

Dryer sheet wannabe
I’m not a big poster, but I know this is the go-to place for esoteric knowledge. Maybe I have some I can share some day.

My dad (82) was just required to update his flip phone because of the 3G sunset happening on AT&T next February. He wanted to stick with a flip phone (and didn’t like the free one they sent), so after researching I bought him a Sonim XP3. I had to get a refurbished one because they have apparently stopped making them recently (on the bright side, I got to pay as much for the refurbished one as the new ones used to cost!). After the expected birthing issues and a trip to the AT&T store, he’s using it. (Perhaps I should mention I live four hours away , so I can’t pop by for every hiccup encountered here.) The sound quality is good when using in a conventional up-to-the-ear fashion, but he’s apparently relying more on the speaker function in the whole two weeks since activating it. That may indicate an entirely different problem, but talking to him in speaker mode induces a lot of echo that makes for an unbearable conversation on my end (and others, by all accounts).

Anyone have an idea for a good, universal Bluetooth speaker/microphone that would work well in his situation? I’m thinking primarily using it hard-wired to the phone would be a logical solution, as Bluetooth connections can be persnickety even for me, and I know which end of my iPhone to beat with a hammer when it won’t work.

Thanks a bunch-

I’m not a big poster, but I know this is the go-to place for esoteric knowledge. Maybe I have some I can share some day.

My dad (82) was just required to update his flip phone because of the 3G sunset happening on AT&T next February. He wanted to stick with a flip phone (and didn’t like the free one they sent), so after researching I bought him a Sonim XP3. I had to get a refurbished one because they have apparently stopped making them recently (on the bright side, I got to pay as much for the refurbished one as the new ones used to cost!). After the expected birthing issues and a trip to the AT&T store, he’s using it. (Perhaps I should mention I live four hours away , so I can’t pop by for every hiccup encountered here.) The sound quality is good when using in a conventional up-to-the-ear fashion, but he’s apparently relying more on the speaker function in the whole two weeks since activating it. That may indicate an entirely different problem, but talking to him in speaker mode induces a lot of echo that makes for an unbearable conversation on my end (and others, by all accounts).

Anyone have an idea for a good, universal Bluetooth speaker/microphone that would work well in his situation? I’m thinking primarily using it hard-wired to the phone would be a logical solution, as Bluetooth connections can be persnickety even for me, and I know which end of my iPhone to beat with a hammer when it won’t work.

Thanks a bunch-
i use a Plantronics Voyager Legend bluetooth headset. i wear it whenever i'm out of the house. it's comfortable and plenty loud and it can also stream audio from the phone (music, podcasts, etc). aomething like this may work for your dad.

Thanks a bunch-
I feel your pain. Luckily the flip phone my grandfather uses has good loud speaker and big enough buttons. The only issue is he would forget to turn it off and it would deplete its battery after a week or so.
Maybe a wireless headset would work better than Bluetooth?

Last edited:
I think just about any wired headset or even wired earbuds with a microphone will work very well. It seems to me that the wireless versions are always more prone to have issues. I’d see if he’s willing to wear an over the ear headset and mic. If so, he’ll hear well and you’ll hear him well.

This is an example I found on Amazon but there are many. Plantronics is a good company. I owned a few of their products over the years.

Plantronics 89434-01 Wired Headset

Yeah, I jumped to the speaker conclusion without really even thinking about a headset. I think he would be initially resistant, but it's something to consider. Wish I were in a better position to try out multiple options, but I'll bounce it off him.

Thanks all!

Yeah, I jumped to the speaker conclusion without really even thinking about a headset. I think he would be initially resistant, but it's something to consider. Wish I were in a better position to try out multiple options, but I'll bounce it off him.

Thanks all!

Any update? I also think a wired headset (if he's OK with that) would be best. Simple, usually very good sound quality, no echo or choppy cut offs as with a speakerphone, since the mic doesn't 'hear' the speaker in the headset.

-ERD50

Any update? I also think a wired headset (if he's OK with that) would be best. Simple, usually very good sound quality, no echo or choppy cut offs as with a speakerphone, since the mic doesn't 'hear' the speaker in the headset.

-ERD50

Your inquiry inspired me to give him a call, which I hadn't done yet. Seems that he's been fiddling with the settings for the last couple of days and now the sound quality suits him fine. He's apparently using it up to the ear mostly... not sure there will be any improvement with the speaker. He didn't seem as concerned with the speaker function today. I'm not sure, but maybe he was driven to trying the speaker by a lack of clarity in the regular operation. He never used it before that I'm aware. Anyway, he's going to give the headset some thought and may get me to to order one in the next few days. I've got my eye on a couple of Plantronics as mentioned above, with a 3.5mm adapter.

Back
Top Bottom