Anyone done a cross-country drive, roughing it?

PX4sc40sw

Recycles dryer sheets
I absolutely foam at the mouth thinking of getting on a ElderBus and riding with 60 fossils like myself. I want to drive cross country in a van (basic van not RV) and put an Aerobed, some blankets and pillows and a cooler with stuff to consume. Just go. No jocular host or convivial seatmate. I want to eat at White's in Salem, OR, not Denney's on I-90, Denney's on I-80, Denney's on I-74, get the picture.

Has anyone ever done anything similar and are there enough rest stops with showers, facilities, etc to allow for hygienic basics? Or is it destined to be a Day's Inn fest.

I really long for the freedom and rhythm of the highway as it rolls on by, city lights and rolling thru the backwoods.

Am I dreaming of somthing impossible?

My friend tells me that Wal-mart has places in their parking lots for RV's to stay over why not see if thats true. You can sleep at all the Wal Marts across the country.

Thanks, that is the type of thing I am thinking. Go in get a 6-pack, and some chow, take along a video player, and just let the Wal-Mart provide my motel parking spot.

Appreciate and will try to get some info.

My friend tells me that Wal-mart has places in their parking lots for RV's to stay over why not see if thats true. You can sleep at all the Wal Marts across the country.

Your toughest job will be finding showers. Rest stops don't have them. You will probably need campgrounds for showers. There are two campground guides to very inexpensive campgrounds, one for the east and one for the west. Here is a link to the western one: Amazon.com: Guide To Free Campgrounds-West 13h Edition: Includes Campgrounds $12 And Under In The 17 Western States (Don Wright's Guide to Free Campgrounds Western Edition): Don Wright: Books

The places tend to be out of the way places, often in small towns.

Martha, thanks for those links, I suspect that that is gonna determine my route. Even I can't go without my daily shower. And others appreciate my fastidiousness, I'm sure. But I want to die with an West-East passage and an East-West passage under my belt and I'll be darned if it's gonna be posh.

If need be, I'll do the Motel 6, Tom Bodette thing, but I want a rough ride, no sissy stuff. Real Americana cross country. Not Tu Pac/Eminem do La to NY via Escalade with posse.

DH tells me of a time when he and his friend lived out of a car for a while (wow, a loooooong time ago!).

They got free showers by going to gyms and pretending to want a tour/getting a free day pass, etc.

Leave it to DH. What a creative man he is!

I suppose you could do truck stops, but then you are just traveling the 51st state.

I want to eat at White's in Salem, OR,...

Better not have breakfast there or you'll never get on the road - eat, founder, take a nap. Get up and look at half your meal patiently waiting for you.

This trip seems like a recreation of a friends trip in 1970-71, where he bought an old van, left with a girl from Vidalia, GA and went from Macon, GA to Medford, OR and took 4 months to get there.

He is a very senior, tenured professor and he sometimes comments that he wasted his life except for those 4 months. Somewhat overstating I'm sure but.......

I'm determined to have that "mess" that you once talked so fondly of.

Better not have breakfast there or you'll never get on the road - eat, founder, take a nap. Get up and look at half your meal patiently waiting for you.

Another place that showers exist at a nominal fee would be public swimming pools.

2Cor521

Showers at the gym

DH tells me of a time when he and his friend lived out of a car for a while (wow, a loooooong time ago!).

They got free showers by going to gyms and pretending to want a tour/getting a free day pass, etc.

Leave it to DH. What a creative man he is!

Funny, but I was going to suggest that if you have a gym membership with reciprocal privileges in various places, you might be able to shower there...and stretch your legs on some of the machines to boot. Have some of the local gym rats recommend dining possibilities and get sightseeing tips.

The gym membership is interesting. But would I have to get in workouts and work out. Or, maybe I just say, ooops, I feel my back is too tight. I'll just grab a warm shower.

See ya.

It gets hot out, or cold. And nature calls at inconvenient times. And the shower thing gets annoying. And truck stops are not always the safest place. And sometimes you just gotta stand up but it's raining out. And a hundred other things not to underestimate.

I can understand your attraction for the open road and the Kerouac lifestyle, but you might look for used Class B motorhomes. For the money you will actually be able to meet your necessities of life with a little style to boot. And many are fairly small (medium van size). There's Roadtrek, PleasureWay, Great West, and many others. They might be cheap nowadays. You can even get a Sprinter chassis with a small diesel engine.

Go for it, whichever way you decide, and keep us posted.

Yes, what is fun and adventure at 18 isn't necessarily so fun after 50. How many times do you have to get up and pee at night? ;)

I like my slide in truck camper and my Silverado. Staying overnight in a non-campground environment is called "boondocking" and you'd be surprised just how many places you can stay for free.

Another place that showers exist at a nominal fee would be public swimming pools.

2Cor521

I suggest looking into a YMCA membership. I think that you can use Y's across the country for free or for a nominal cost.

Yes, what is fun and adventure at 18 isn't necessarily so fun after 50. How many times do you have to get up and pee at night? ;)

Dang, you just had to go and ruin it, didn't you ;)

Actually, that was part of the attraction. Not the peeing on the side of Wal-Mart at 2AM part, but the idea that this ole 60 year old can get back some of the lost youth. You know, wearing a bandanna over my face and hurling Molotov cocktails at the Berkeley police. The good ole days.

Sheesh, the speeling checker wanted (coercement) me to say "wearing a banana over my face..".

Actually, that was part of the attraction. Not the peeing on the side of Wal-Mart at 2AM part, but the idea that this ole 60 year old can get back some of the lost youth. You know, wearing a bandanna over my face and hurling Molotov cocktails at the Berkeley police. The good ole days.

Sheesh, the speeling checker wanted (coercement) me to say "wearing a banana over my face..".

bwa-ha-ha-haaaaa..........you are hilarious!

This site has a lot of tips for staying clean on the road, from the perspective of people living full-time in vans:

How To Stay Clean

"Truck stop" type places for sure. A little gritty, but most around here are not bad places (at least during the day). Relatively clean showers but bring your flip flops and don't drop the soap. Grab a greasy cup and enjoy some delish stale coffee with a thick film of whatever's cooking on the griddle.

Also, our local city community centers have small gyms in them with showers. It used to be $1 for a day pass at the community center gym, now maybe $2. Our city pools are similar - $2-3 for non-residents for a day pass. All you can swim and shower.

The awesome thing to do would be to rig up a portable shower that you can hang off the side of your van. That should be a simple task in light of your mad antenna building skillz. :)

Also check into "couch surfing" (google it). There are a bunch of websites and online communities that facilitate you finding a place to sleep on people's couches (or guest beds) and presumably a shower as well.

Throw a tent in the van with you, and you can do some impromptu camping wherever. I know there are many state and federal lands that allow "wilderness camping" with no facilities but no fees. Some request that you check in w/ the ranger's station beforehand just to let them know you'll be there, but a simple phone call or email will suffice.

Sounds like a fun trip. PM me the blog/photog link when you hit the road! ;)

I'll second the YMCA membership. There's kind of an unwritten rule that if you have a current YMCA card that ANY YMCA will let ya use their surfaces. Heck, you can get in a workout if ya want.

WalMarts let you stay overnight for free. Just tell the manager your plans and make sure you are far away from where most of the customers park. 24 hour Walmarts are common nowadays so that's another plus.

Bring a tent and 1-2 air mattresses. A BATTERY-POWERED Coleman lantern is almost a must, no KEROSENE........:)

I did a couple of the trips you are describing as a young man. We had a blast, some crazt times. We even found a few laundromats that had a bar next door to them.........:)

Keep us posted........:)

FUEGO, definitely will get you the blog link when I head out. If I do it, I actually hope to get myself arrested or something neat like that.

Nice idea, cause most rest stops have water available. I could fill a gallon milk container and screw a shower head onto it and get someone to hold it over my head while I shower. Nice "outside-the-box" thinking.

Last time I was in a truck stop was after a Led Zeppelin concert back in the 70's. I ordered pancakes and coffee at 3AM and they tasted like meatloaf only better.

And maybe I can find a tent that can be used as a shower enclosure.

Good things to consider. Thanks, hope the rellie gets to Cambodia and back, is he from the Damdonebroke town.

"Truck stop" type places for sure. A little gritty, but most around here are not bad places (at least during the day). Relatively clean showers but bring your flip flops and don't drop the soap. Grab a greasy cup and enjoy some delish stale coffee with a thick film of whatever's cooking on the griddle.

Also, our local city community centers have small gyms in them with showers. It used to be $1 for a day pass at the community center gym, now maybe $2. Our city pools are similar - $2-3 for non-residents for a day pass. All you can swim and shower.

The awesome thing to do would be to rig up a portable shower that you can hang off the side of your van. That should be a simple task in light of your mad antenna building skillz. :)

Also check into "couch surfing" (google it). There are a bunch of websites and online communities that facilitate you finding a place to sleep on people's couches (or guest beds) and presumably a shower as well.

Throw a tent in the van with you, and you can do some impromptu camping wherever. I know there are many state and federal lands that allow "wilderness camping" with no facilities but no fees. Some request that you check in w/ the ranger's station beforehand just to let them know you'll be there, but a simple phone call or email will suffice.

Sounds like a fun trip. PM me the blog/photog link when you hit the road! ;)

FD, if ole Jack was still around I think he'd appreciate hitching this ride.

I did one as a young guy and that piece of freedom haunts my memories sometimes. There was a feeling that me and my bud had escaped something. On the lam, no bloody copper gonna take us alive, and the memories are too much fun to recall very often. Best remembered in small measures.

Dixonge, that is a good site (How To Stay Clean). Some of the ideas I already use.

Oh, if you ever go into a drugstore for baby wipes, there is a product in that section that is for babies and it's hilarious. Boudreaux's

I'll second the YMCA membership. There's kind of an unwritten rule that if you have a current YMCA card that ANY YMCA will let ya use their surfaces. Heck, you can get in a workout if ya want.

WalMarts let you stay overnight for free. Just tell the manager your plans and make sure you are far away from where most of the customers park. 24 hour Walmarts are common nowadays so that's another plus.

Bring a tent and 1-2 air mattresses. A BATTERY-POWERED Coleman lantern is almost a must, no KEROSENE........:)

I did a couple of the trips you are describing as a young man. We had a blast, some crazt times. We even found a few laundromats that had a bar next door to them.........:)

Keep us posted........:)

I can speak from recent experience on this one -- we just got back from our camping trip from California to St. Louis and back.

MapOfTrip.jpg

We stayed at 16 different campgrounds, and five of them had showers. Others had access to showers (e.g. $7 shower at the nearby outdoor store).

Swimming pools work, but you will probably have to pay $10 or more.

I asked about showers at a truck stop in Colorado. It was free with a fill-up of 50 gallons or more.

You can also do your own shower with some boiling water mixed with the cold water.

TableToBully%2B008.jpg

Also, you can get used to not taking a shower every day.

With our airbed and earplugs, there wasn't that much deprivation involved. If you can time your drinking properly to avoid having to get up to pee in the middle of the night, then you are way ahead of the game.

Highly recommended.

Here's our blog:

California to St. Louis Car/Bike Trip

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom