Semi-Retired --> Retired

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
For those who took the semi-retired --> retired route, at what point did you decide to make the transition? What were some of the determining factors: financial, stress, enoughness, or no particular reason.

I took that route and it was definetely the enoughness factor that made me fully retire . I had been FI for some time but was not mentally ready to pull the plug . Then I started to be annoyed at the day to day complaining and the under staffing and that is when I decided enough was enough . Up to that point I had really always enjoyed working . I was lucky in that my job was never boring . I was an RN for forty years and spent most of it in the OR and special procedures .

I'm still in the "semi-retired" mode. The job is okay, the people are generally easy to work with, the extra income is nice, I have a 3.4 mile commute, and as another guy put it "I'm there 'till I'm not". My KMA* hat is still firmly in place. So maybe I have an attitude problem.

*Kiss My A--

Pharmacist friend of mine sold out to a big national chain for big bucks, and went part-time. He discovered that 3 days a week was too much work. 2 days suited him well for about 3 months, when he discovered he needed to attend a weekly 7 am staff meeting on a day he wasn't scheduled to work.

He bolted like a speeding bullet.

Pharmacist friend of mine sold out to a big national chain for big bucks, and went part-time. He discovered that 3 days a week was too much work. 2 days suited him well for about 3 months, when he discovered he needed to attend a weekly 7 am staff meeting on a day he wasn't scheduled to work.

He bolted like a speeding bullet.

When you are ready anything can put you over the top . My final push came when the young nurses were complaining about how long they had worked .

do a different kind of work

My semi-retirement job is a series of consulting contracts that I can work on mostly from my living room. The pay is good and it keeps me doing some interesting work. When my last child is gone and my wife is fully retired, I will likely be wanting to give up this extra work too.

I'm tiptoeing away from working with our rentals - have been training a yonker to take over much of what I do. Posted notes with all the tenants letting them know that all rents were to be sent to a PO box, no more visits from Yrs Trly to collect, no more stopping by my house whenever, and reminding them that rent was due on the first, late after the fifth, and that there were contract specified late charges. Got another cellphone on our plan and gave my old number and phone to the new guy. Not a whole bunch of repercussion so far, though one old geezer that I charge a reduced rent and have never late charged when he forgets to pay for a week or three did decide to rag on me - seems that 20 years ago when he first started renting they didn't charge a late fee till the ten day mark. OK fine, but the contract we did eight years ago is different. Sheesh. Kinda thing that strengthens my exit resolve. That and the fact that even if we pay the new guy 10% of rents we should still have enough to live on.

It's my hope that the new guy takes hold, discovers that there is more to the job than renting places and checking for checks in the PO box, and has the temperament to deal with the tenants. Working on his skill set for repair work....

I've w**ked temp/PT jobs off/on for a few years just to have something to do from time to time. I w**k a while, collect unemployment until it dries up, work some more, collect unemployment some more, W**k a bit. Considered Census 2010 work as different, once in a lifetime w**k, but probably not for me.

I believe that I am at a point now where w**king (even PT) is no longer fun and, since I do not need the $, I may be at the end of my little game.:D

My friend decided at 52 to fully retire (he got out just before this recession started last year). He had made good money with his pharmacist salary, and he decided to sell his businesses he had acquired over the years when he felt the "enoughness" to get out of the game. He and his wife bought a portion of a ship and now tour around the world.

Back
Top Bottom