If you could live anyplace in the world for 6 months where would it be?

Someplace with warm quiet water for swimming and sandy beaches. But no sharks or other biting things in the water. No no-see-ums. Flat or gently rolling land for biking on either quiet roads or paved trails.

Anyone know where this is? Let me know.

Upper Midwest? In October? Your old stomping grounds?

If I try really hard, that is how I can remember my childhood. I also like mud-bottom lakes; I know of a lake where the people still don't allow motors on the water. For rolling hills and lakes, The Kettle Moraine.

Got back from Portugal recently and I would definitely like to spend some significant time in the north, maybe just above or below Porto exploring the coast and surfing the heck out of it. Really felt at home there for some reason, but can't make heads or tales of the language.

Upper Midwest? In October? Your old stomping grounds?

If I try really hard, that is how I can remember my childhood. I also like mud-bottom lakes; I know of a lake where the people still don't allow motors on the water. For rolling hills and lakes, The Kettle Moraine.

October? Freezing cold. This year our inland lakes did not get past goose pimple "warm."

Somewhere in southern Nova Scotia, i'd have to toss a coin to see if it was Digby,Yarmouth or Luninburg

October? Freezing cold. This year our inland lakes did not get past goose pimple "warm."

Oops, I was thinking of my old stomping grounds. Go south, young woman! Or enjoy that one day of summer up in the northland. But that was sooooo last week.

Somewhere along the Mediterranean coast...

Wait, I believe a lot of the Mediterranean coast has jellyfish! Martha's got some tough requirements there! Most of the tropics would be excluded because of the mosquitos and other bugs.

since its only 6 months and i plan on living to 100, I have a list:
1) Beijing - interesting place that we toured and had to rush thru, want to learn more of culture
2) HangZhou - same as 1
3) Shanghai - same as 2
4) Hong Kong - same as 3
5) Bangkok/ChangMai - lots of posts on these places (especially CM), want to experience
6) Singapore - another SEA place that sounds interesting and a foodie paradise
7) Southern France (Nice ?) - loved visiting the area and would use as a home base for traveling the area
8) Spain (Barcelona?) - inexpensive and fun
9) Italy? on the coast
10) Manhatten - love the place and the vibe
11) San Fran - see 10
12) Boston - see 11
I guess that is 6 years worth there .... what will I do with the other 30 something years? :whistle:

I can live without li hing mui gummy bears but the powder makes a very interesting contribution to a margarita. Particularly the third & subsequent margaritas.
AHA! A new twist on la benita Margarita! This bears investigation.

Back to the topic at hand:
a) If I have to pay for it, Mazatlan (certain other parts of Mexico included).
b) If not, Bellingham, Washington. (Home, but I cannot afford to live there yet. There is a reason I am The Gypsy.)
c) Money no object, Copenhagen (or other special spots in Denmark). I left a part of my heart there.
d) Other....many other. "hey, there's a hell of a great universe next door. let's go!" (e e cummings)

Well if Mars, the space station, and the moon are all out.

1.) The Playboy mansion.
2.) Thailand
3.) London
4) The White House

Someplace with warm quiet water for swimming and sandy beaches. But no sharks or other biting things in the water. No no-see-ums. Flat or gently rolling land for biking on either quiet roads or paved trails.

Anyone know where this is? Let me know.

Lake Ponchartrain with insect repellent? :D

Some people swim in it, and the water quality is theoretically good enough to swim in these days. I thought I'd wait a few years...

Water is definitely warm.
Water is definitely quiet.
It has a few sandy beaches.
No problems with sharks etc. biting people.
Louisiana is the flattest place you have ever seen, and there are quiet roads and paved bike trails.
However, there are a lot of insects.

Last edited:
First Rarotonga, been there twice and will go again
second: UK canal boat
third: (only in summer ) Haines AK, local saying: "I died and went to Haines"

So many places...

San Gimignano - Tuscan village.
Bellagio -The town, not the hotel, and perhaps the most beautiful place in the world.
San Carlos de Bariloche - Patagonian ski resort town.
Annecy - Medieval city in France, near Geneva.
Nanaimo - Victoria Island.
Piedmont Avenue neighborhood, Oakland - Surprised? Upscale neighborhood, near perfect climate, everything (including a BART station) withing walking distance.

If cost is not an issue:
London
Paris
Rome
Manhattan

So many places...

Indeed. How can one choose? Before one gets hung up on a particular place, remember that the residents of that place take vacation trips elsewhere too.

Even if one loves chiggers, fire ants, and basking in the warm sun, it is nice to have a luxurious motorhome to get away occasionally to get the homesickness feeling again. ;)

Indeed. How can one choose? Before one gets hung up on a particular place, remember that the residents of that place take vacation trips elsewhere too.

Even if one loves chiggers, fire ants, and basking in the warm sun, it is nice to have a luxurious motorhome to get away occasionally to get the homesickness feeling again. ;)
The location equivalent to “No matter how good she looks - no matter how sweet she talks - somebody, somewhere is sick and tired of putting up with her s**t.

Eh! I wouldn't go that far!

Western Samoa in the middle of nowhere Pacific Ocean.

Lived there 2 years largely in a remote village on Savai'i. One day, found myself in Apia lolling about on the street by the waterfront. A small motorcade proceeded past me and looking directly at me out of the back of what passed for a black limousine in that place, within high fiving distance, was the Queen of England Herself. Talk about weird. We waved and smiled at each other and then she was gone. When I got back to my fale on the beach in my village, I thought about it some. Not the strangest thing that happened while I was there, but odd nonetheless.

Lived there 2 years largely in a remote village on Savai'i. One day, found myself in Apia lolling about on the street by the waterfront. A small motorcade proceeded past me and looking directly at me out of the back of what passed for a black limousine in that place, within high fiving distance, was the Queen of England Herself. Talk about weird. We waved and smiled at each other and then she was gone. When I got back to my fale on the beach in my village, I thought about it some. Not the strangest thing that happened while I was there, but odd nonetheless.

OK, what was the strangest thing that happened when you were there? :)

Taking the 5th on that but the whole experience was like passing through the looking glass. If there is a place that is less familiar in just about every regard to Western ken, I've yet to find it.

I have been watching thread with much anticipation on where people think they would want to live for 6 months at a time. The more I thought about it I think for me it is really a 3-4 month period making sure I spend the summers in Colorado. I actually think this is becoming more viable for us although it may be a while, but that’s ok.
So here is my list (not in order)
Santa Barbara, Ca
Seattle
Oahu
Sevierville, Tn
Paris
Bavaria
Florida Keys
Thailand (still researching)
Tokyo
New Zealand
Iceland
Greek Isles
Caribbean (St Thomas?)

Looks like I have my first decade of FIRE planned out.

Tomcat98

1.) The Playboy mansion.
2.) Thailand
3.) London
4) The White House

With the exception of London, I think the other three are pretty much the same thing.

As for where I'd want to be, give me a nice downtown condo, my bikes and 6 months in Colorado. :)

1.) The Playboy mansion.
2.) Thailand
3.) London
4) The White House
You forgot Jupiter*.

*My favorite response (deadpan delivery) when people ask me "where have you been ?" when it's been a while since they saw me.

Being from New England I am a little bias but I will tell you that from late May to late October it is a very nice place to be. We plan to make north western mass. our home base, appartment, Hang out for the summers and then globe treck the rest of the time, 2 to 4 weeks at a time. If your feeling really adventurous check out Hostels for 2 weeks at a time. Their cheap and clean and usually well located.

Went to Munich last year for 2 weeks and could easily see moving in there for 6 months. It's a beautiful place, great transportation, friendly people (as long as you stay to the right on the escalators). It has everything I'd be attracted to in a "big" city, but it's still small, safe and quiet feeling. I especially love the Bavarian attitude towards living and loving life - I think I'd be able to slow down and enjoy things a little more living there.

Back
Top Bottom