Glycemic Load -- Different Definitions?

Not sure, one table clearly states what its indexed to (white bread) but the other table does not...maybe they are indexing to differing things?

T-Al

I have had an interest in the gylcemic index for years.

I first got out a book on it and pretty much memorized the values of different foods.

But then to my surprise they were listed as different values in other places.

"Brown rice" for example is all over the place depending on where you look.

There are many different varieties of food and different stages of ripeness in the case of a banana and the people who they do the test on can have different reactions that can make the results higher or lower. It's kind of annoying.

Cherries for instance I at first thought were the lowest GI fruit but some sources list them in the moderate GI range.

Here is one list that is probably the biggest list online. It has foods from all over the world though so it gets confusing!

You might like looking it over anyway though.

Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load

Jim

Why are the GL figures so different in this table (banana=85):

Glycemic Load Table

and this table (banana=10):

Glycemic load - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

?

Not sure if this will help but the sugar content of bananas increases the more ripe they get which will affect their GI.
These are two good sites for information. The second one "glycemicindex.com" is the Official Website of the Glycemic Index and GI Database

http://www.carbs-information.com/glycemic-index-food-chart.htm

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

I can understand a good bit of variation in values, but it seems that there are two separate systems, with totally different scales.

I think one of them is normalized to "white bread = 100" and the other isn't?

One of the them uses glucose for the base of 100.

Has anyone read the South Beach Diet? I learned a lot about nutrition from it.

Know that this is a very inexact science even if it is generally agreed that low glycemic load foods may be healthier. A big untested variable is what happens when foods of different types and loads are consumed simultaneously which is usually the case.

Even refined starches and sugars may be less harmful when consumed with proteins. Or not. We don't know. What about the speed of ingestion? If I take a tablespoon of white sugar and carefully eat it over 30 minutes it may be comparable to a mouthful of low glycemic load carbs all at once.

Personally I think there is something to this concept but there's much we don't know. So if you eat little sugar and refined starch, and avoid gulping or rushing your eating it may well give you most of the benefit. Or not ;).

Sorry to add to the confusion.

Al

You are right I think on is based on glucose and the other white bread.

There is two different rankings.

It's something that can not be made precise so you just get a rough idea...sometimes not even that though!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom