Update on move to FL from OH - Long

Buckeye

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have completed the move to Largo, FL from OH and we are settling nicely into our 2/2 apartment in the 55+ community. I'm enjoying living in an apartment community much more than I though I would but I believe it's directly related to the fact this is a 55+ community. People are friendly and outgoing and there is zero yahoo factor. No loud music, no loud cars, no domestic disturbances in the middle of the night. The management of the complex is great to work with and they are not like any apartment management I have ever dealt with. Very professional and very focused on their customer. The lack of space (and no garage) was a bit of a shock but we are making it work.

It's also very rewarding to be able to help those who are less able. For example, the neighbor on one side of us is 88 and had a heart attack within the last 6 months. On the day we moved in, we told her it was the last day she had to carry her trash to the dumpster while she lived next to us. She just sets her trash bag outside her door and we take it away. We will miss her because she is moving to a downstairs apartment in the neighboring building next month. First floor apartments are highly sought after as you might guess. We saved $100 per month by renting a 2nd floor apartment.

I have been compliant with unemployment requirements and have been checking out jobs and submitting resumes. One landed me an interview today. The interview was supposed to be for an individual contributor position but I was "promoted" and the interview morphed into an interview for a manager position. As it turned out, two of the three managers who interviewed me have new positions within the company and will be leaving their current positions in 3-4 weeks. Their boss also interviewed me and stated he was interviewing for the manager position as I was waaaaay over-qualified for the original position and he is going to have two open positions. He emphasized I would DEFINITELY be hearing from the company. He has to write the requisitions and get them approved and he is going on vacation next week so I was relieved things were going to be delayed a bit.

It has been wonderful not having to go to work. I have no problem finding things to do or doing nothing. Did I say it's wonderful? I think I have decided our savings are just a little too close to the line to stop working now. We could probably make it work financially but the budget would have to be tighter than we want it to be. The job for which I interviewed today would be in a new industry so I would hopefully stay energized for awhile learning the ways of the new industry and the new company. Boredom is definitely my enemy. We'll see what happens. I don't have an offer but I definitey got the message one would be forthcoming.

Did I mention not working was really enjoyable? So many grains of sand on the beach to count and so little time!:cool:

Wow, you have been busy! I am so glad to hear of your good experiences in the 55+ apartment complex. And even though you don't want to work, it's nice to have a choice and as you mentioned the money could come in handy for a while.

way to go buckeye lady... we are considering living in an RV fro 1-5 years (it depends) but the over 55 comm. still lingers in our mind.... hope you get the j*b if you want it and best of luck!

Congratulations and welcome to the Sunshine State. Largo has some great areas and the beaches are plentiful and close. We love living in the Tampa Bay area. Within another week or so the last of the summer weather should fade away and we will be in for about 8 months of weather heaven (that is, if a last minute "tropical disturbance" doesn't decide to pay us a visit).

To get you started, check out the Fort Desoto park and its beaches, Dunedin, Tarpon Springs and St. Pete at the pier. Don't forget to hop the bridge to Tampa for International Plaza, more restaurants, and a taste of big urban life downtown, including Ybor City and Channelside near the cruise ship ports. The zoo is great.

Now go on, get movin' -- you have a lot to check out ;).

It was not originally my intention but I picked a 55+ apartment complex because the online reviews for all-age apartment complexes were so poor. The ratings I was reading were based on the question "would you rent here again?" This complex had an 80% positive rating (sample of 5, one negative response). Most others were between 20%-40%. This place was clearly different than the rest. I have found the positive ratings to be warranted.

Yes, we must really keep heading out to new places because a j*b is pursuing me! We have been to Fort Desoto Park and managed to get a spot in the last kayak trip at Weedon Preserve (budget cuts).

We are very pleased with our decision to move to the Tampa Bay area even though we seriously considered moving back to the Orlando area. One of my Orlando start-up contemporaries (who kept his home in Clearwater and did temporary housing in Orlando) said he would move out of the state before he moved to Orlando. I now understand why after living a few miles from the beach. Divine! Eat dinner, watch news, jump in car, drive 10 minutes, watch sunset on beach. Aaaaaah!

We are enjoying the last of the heat and can't resist looking at the temps up in OH. Definitely don't miss that!

Sounds like you made a really great decision for yourself. Lucky you!

Sounds like you made a really great decision for yourself. Lucky you!

A little bit of planning and a lot of luck brought us to where we are now!

Today I found out how we ended up in this apartment when I was visiting with my 88-year old next-door neighbor, Mary. She expressed concern she should pay DH and I for bringing her some of our leftover moving materials and for taking her garbage to the dumpster whenever it appears outside her door. I told her it made me happy to help her because I had lost my grandmother 2 years ago and helping her made me feel like I still had my grandma around. I made it halfway through the sentence before my voice cracked and I shed a couple of tears. It was then Mary told me she had prayed for and asked her prayer group to pray for a good neighbor to move into the empty apartment next to hers. So there you have it, the power of prayer!

Buckeye - (I am assuming you are a Buckeye fan.) How are you managing in a state full of SEC fans - particularly the Florida kind? Has OSU football withdrawal been difficult? I am a Bucks fan also, currently living in China. I can probably get about the same amount of info here as you can there, which probably isn't much!!
Anyway, why did you decide to move to Florida? Weather, kids, etc? Did you leave any family in OH? We are considering whether to move from Columbus in the next few months after we get back from China. One big negative is kids and a grandson in OH. It's been tough living so far away from them in China for the last 2 years, and we would like to stay a little closer to them. Did you consider other areas of the country?

Buckeye - (I am assuming you are a Buckeye fan.) How are you managing in a state full of SEC fans - particularly the Florida kind? Has OSU football withdrawal been difficult? I am a Bucks fan also, currently living in China. I can probably get about the same amount of info here as you can there, which probably isn't much!!
Anyway, why did you decide to move to Florida? Weather, kids, etc? Did you leave any family in OH? We are considering whether to move from Columbus in the next few months after we get back from China. One big negative is kids and a grandson in OH. It's been tough living so far away from them in China for the last 2 years, and we would like to stay a little closer to them. Did you consider other areas of the country?

Hi SciFi! O-H...

Yes, OSU football withdrawl has been a problem. Two of the first 3 games were televised but we couldn't get the third. The buckeye was implanted into my head soon after I arrived at my new employer (condition of employment) and I think it's programmed to issue an electrical shock if I root for an SEC team! :LOL:

We moved to FL mostly for the weather. Last winter was terrible cold and my husband was done with it. No family here in FL but we do have friends from when we lived here during 2001-2004. My MIL passed in April. We left a brother-in-law, step-daughter, son-in-law and teenage grandson in Cincinnati which was 2.5 hours from where we lived in corn country. We did most of the visiting because we would go to Cinci for other reasons (Reds games, for example). Young families are very busy with two working parents.

I am originally from Seattle and I considered moving back there to be near my family and girlfriends but it was DH's turn to decide where we lived and hubby wanted FL. I have always had a long-distance relationship with my family as I joined the Air Force after college and haven't lived in Seattle since (almost 30 years ago). We did not seriously consider any other areas of the country.

I have seen how close OH families can be so I know understand where you are coming from. The good news is that it is easy to fly between Columbus and most cities in FL. Your house may become a favorite destination! Housing prices are definitely down (and possibly still falling) and apartment rents are very reasonable. On the flip-side, you have the benefit of Columbus being a "real" city so you would have amenities (like shopping and restaurants and entertainment within 20 miles) which we didn't have living in corn country (and are now enjoying immensely). We were just done with the weather and outta there!

Congratulations and welcome to Florida. Too bad you missed hurricane season – but don’t worry, it’ll be back next year, and again, and again...

So, now that you’ve moved, you gonna change your user name to “Sunshine”?:D

Buckeye - Glad you are enjoying Florida. I have a sister living in Jacksonville, but don't really think we will end up there. I really like having 4 seasons - fall is my favorite (partly because of college football!!). I think I would miss that in FLA, along with the family. Don't really need the big city stuff - just means there is more shopping where the DW can spend money, although now with the internet, there's not anyplace that is really safe from that.
The other thing is that hurricane stuff that MichaelB just mentioned....

Back
Top Bottom