Looks like I Must stay FIREed

Cattusbabe

Full time employment: Posting here.
I had a recent conversation with a fellow nurse I work with at the Red Cross. I'm a volunteer. She was telling me how horrible the job market was for nurses in the Philadelphia area. Next to no responses on her resume and she has a Masters degree. I have also been seeing articles like this one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/24/business/economy/24older.html?hp

This started me to thinking about the likelihood of my returning to my former profession at age 54 after not having worked for the past three and a half years. That likelihood is nil but increasingly not just because I do not have or want to.

I suspect this is partially due to the fact that nurses were in short supply 20 years ago, and a lot of people went into it for the "guaranteed" employment. I also suspect there will still be plenty of jobs, if you are willing to work in the nursing home/home care part of the job. But I suspect that those might be lower pay, higher difficulty positions.

Having said that, I know what you mean about being unable to return to the field. As a former IT security dude, I think I've lost my edge even though I still do a good bit of reading and maintain my professional memberships and a couple certs. Forensics and countermeasures are a rapidly moving target. I don't want to go back, but it still feel a little strange to think I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Jobs are like Real Estate, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! My DD works in IT for major non-profit healthcare provider. I have a job offer monthly from her dept and she gets a bounty every couple of months for finding another RN to join up with them. The Desert SW has jobs for both of you!

Like connie said, it must be LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. I just watched a PBS program called NOW last week about shortage of nurses and that will only get worse in the future...

Jobs are like Real Estate, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

Apparently so. Around here (WV Panhandle) it would take a RN about ten minutes to find several possible jobs. Local hospitals and the VA hospital are constantly advertising for them.

Florida still has plenty of RN jobs especially if you just want part time or per diem . I frequently get job offers but like Cattsubabe I'm not interested .

In Maryland and D.C. areas, there is a lot of work for all kinds of health care professionals. There are loads of ads, for everything from home health care to physical therapist, to, yes, RN. Physical therapy seems to be the big growth area, though. Must be all the aching backs and necks amongst the folks who spend 10 hours a day at a computer, and 2 more commuting

Like connie said, it must be LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. I just watched a PBS program called NOW last week about shortage of nurses and that will only get worse in the future...

I saw this program as well. It matches what I've read and heard many times. There is a great shortage of nurses. I know this holds true for Texas. I can't fathom an explanation for what OP has found.

My two daughters will be graduating from UT nursing school in another year. I have great confidence they will have ample job opportunities and career choices within nursing. I've researched some about nursing since they went this direction with their college majors. Seems like a great field with many flexible options for someone. Probably should get paid more for how hard nurses work. But I think it's one of those fields you go into for something beyond just money.

Physical therapy seems to be the big growth area, though. Must be all the aching backs and necks amongst the folks who spend 10 hours a day at a computer, and 2 more commuting

It's actually the population aging creating increased need in the geriatrics specialty. Demand has always been pretty high for PT's, but lucky for me, it just continues to go up. The one big unknown is always what changes will come about in health care coverage for therapy services.

Physical Therapists

Back
Top Bottom