Turkey Redux

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Does anyone else enjoy the leftovers at Thanksgiving more than the actual feast? I once had 7 straight turkey meals (including sandwiches). It's the meal that keeps on giving, as far as I'm concerned.

[SIZE=+0]I had eggs/bacon for breakfast today (so this year's string of 4 is broken), but I'll be back on turkey @ noon today.... [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, same here. Turkey on rye (or homemade focaccia if you're lucky), mayo, onion & cranberry. Maybe horseradish, & bacon! Make you slap your mama.

I visited out of town friends for Thanksgiving so no leftovers here. The leftovers are the best part....better than the actual meal in my opinion. I plan to have a cheese omelet and a glass of Prosecco for my supper after a 4.5 hour drive home today. Lots of traffic on the roads.

Absolutely love the leftovers turkey sandwich with some cold dressing and a little cranberry sauce . YUM !

I broke down a ham I cooked - sliced ham in the frig and the ham bone to the pressure cooker. A couple pounds of split peas, ham bits, an onion, some celery and carrots and today we have a monster pot of split pea soup. Yesterday ham 'n eggs for breakfast.

Yum, turkey leftovers are the best. We made turkey sandwiches yesterday and today for lunch (half-baguette, mustard, turkey breast, dipped in leftover gravy!), and I made a big batch of turkey soup with the thighs and wings (nobody eats those on Thanksgiving in our house).

Yesterday I enjoyed some chopped Turkey in a Waldorf Salad that was just hanging around and it was excellent. Today after the bark park outing with my bulldog it was time to reheat the home made green bean casserole and some potatoes and gravy alongside some turkey and fresh cranberries. I am still stuffed and brunch was hours ago and followed by a lazy day nap that I missed on Thursday due to a bunch of company. The leftovers are the best because I am plum tuckered by mealtime on Bird Day and just have a modest meal.

Last edited:
No turkey leftovers since we did bunny rabbits, but we did have all the other leftovers...candied sweet taters, spinach & cheese casserole, cranberry/pineapple sauce, rolls.....and just a little bit o' bunny.

So for lunch today we had bunny sandwiches with mayo. And tonight we had a ham slice from Aldi's, along with all the rest of the leftovers. So all of the leftovers are now just a fond memory in history, with no more "big dinner" leftovers in our future until next Thanksgiving! (We go to the Masonic Lodge for Christmas dinner and to the Knights of Columbus for Easter...thus no leftovers!)

Yes!

It's a bit stressful/rushed getting the turkey and everything out for 20 or so people. I barely taste the dinner. But I *really* enjoy it over the next few days. Turkey, potatoes, stuffing with gravy and a bit of cranberry for breakfast - and my new favorite sandwich - melt some Brie on some good bread, add the turkey and a bit of cranberry - mmmm. We were served that at a fancy deli recently - excellent!

DW gets tired of Turkey quickly, I could go for a week or two, no problem!

-ERD50

Thanksgiving dinner is good, but the turkey sandwich with potato chips and a glass of cold milk is really the best.

....and my new favorite sandwich - melt some Brie on some good bread, add the turkey and a bit of cranberry - mmmm. We were served that at a fancy deli recently - excellent!

I tried that sandwich too, it was delicious!

We had steak and potatoes for Thanksgiving but I have 3 turkeys in the freezer for when we want some.

I like it for diet food, breast of turkey is easy to eat and if you measure out how much you want to have you can freeze servings for later.

What I really like is my boyfriend knows how to eat leftover turkey sandwiches so I don't have to cook for a week. When it isn't a holiday you don't need side dishes so just cook it on a weekend or even time bake to be done when you wake up.

Last time I was just putting it in the oven and was invited somewhere. Explained how long to cook to my boyfriend, told him to take it out then remove the stuffing and refrigerate. He likes basting so I gave him the baster and meat thermometer. When I got home it was perfectly cooked and in the frig, stuffing in a bowl and he had eaten the drumstick and some stuffing.

I made a wonderful turkey noodle soup a few days later

I've been advised by DW that the remains of the turkey are not to be touched any more. She plans on making a curried turkey with rice dish with the balance of the bird. I love that dish (or any dish w/curry) so I've agreed to cease my attack on the carcass of the big bird.

Does anyone else enjoy the leftovers at Thanksgiving more than the actual feast? I once had 7 straight turkey meals (including sandwiches). It's the meal that keeps on giving, as far as I'm concerned.

[SIZE=+0]I had eggs/bacon for breakfast today (so this year's string of 4 is broken), but I'll be back on turkey @ noon today.... [/SIZE]

Speaking of breakfast, I had an omelette at a restaurant that contained bacon, avocado, cream cheese and YES! TURKEY! It was a heavenly combination :smitten:

So don't forget the bird at the breakfast table:)

Gorganzola, over Turkey, over a non frozen cook up pizza... And a nice cabernet ... that kills part of the leftovers in a delightful way.

Just finished some turkey and dumplings with gravy. Have about three or four meals before we are done.

I didn't cook this year but I do miss the after-Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches! If I see part of a turkey breast at my grocery store, I might buy it just to eat leftovers with the rest of you. :D

I made a ham instead of the traditional turkey (12 pounds). So, with the leftovers I made a homemade scalloped potatoes and ham dish. Grated three kinds of cheeses, along with cream, fresh peas, sweet onion, a little BACON of course, and 3 pounds of Idaho potatoes..........:)

Ah, that noble bird! Ben Franklin was right-on.

I like it all year 'round. There are so many ways.

In Louisville, KY, they serve "Hot Browns"--an open-faced turkey sandwich on toast with gravy. Num, num!

The turkey leftover I liked the best was my mom's turkey soup. It was so good I would nearly inhale it. Sadly, that specialty disappeared when she died in 1995. The rest of her Turkey Day meal was great, too, and I came home with plenty of leftovers for several days.

I now go out of town to my brother's place where he and his wife make a meal for us. It is not as good and I do not desire to take any leftovers home on the long trip.

My ladyfriend makes a good turkey and sends me home with leftovers a few times a year. The turkey soup is good but it can't match my mom's. :(

Back
Top Bottom