Blizzard of '09

We have every bit of two feet of the stuff. One of those days that makes me glad I spent the money for a snow thrower. However, it makes me popular with the neighbors, one of whom insists that he's going to take me and DW to lunch later this week.

Perhaps someday I will get to live my dream: When we sell the house I want to put in the "comments" section of the listing "Snow thrower conveys. Ha ha ha."

Snow is just starting here in NH. I don't think we will get much as the storm is heading out to sea.

Nice Pictures! I continue to dodge the snow bullet in my corner of southern Ontario. I will probably pay later.
Bruce

Bruce1, for once you northern folks didn't get clobbered!

We had about 8 - 9 inches here in NYC. The desk with the computer on it sits by the front window - just saw some happy kids go by. I don't hear anyone out shoveliing yet, although the plow just went by.

ta,
mew

Here is a shot of my backyard in DC and one of DW with the dogs in a nearby park. I wanted to get an evening shot down East Capitol Street with the Capitol dome session light burning with the city buried in snow (those bums deserve to work through a storm). But falling snow obscured the shot yesterday - maybe this evening.
main.php

main.php

'09 seems to be the year for unusual snow activity, everywhere.

Light snow fell near Melbourne Australia last week (in their summer), probably confused the heck out of the 'Roos!

kangaroo_snow.jpg

The south of France

capt.603d554f4c774822bd1a36f32ae5c907.france_weather_cir103.jpg

And even at my house in Southeast Texas:

aSNOW3.inline.jpg

Here are a few from Northern Va. - that's our grill lurking under the pyramid of snow!

Attachments

• IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1128.jpg
    IMG_1128.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 2
......although the plow just went by.
I went out cruisin' around town last night after my coffee run, checking out Christmas lights and displays throughout all the different neighborhoods. And was totally impressed by how well maintained my street is compared to many around town. My street, in my block, was plowed curb to curb and salted within about 30 minutes after it quit snowing, and so is clear and dry...and I live on a street that is little traveled and kind of out of the way. Most other streets are plowed just so-so, with no salt applied, so as night fell and the temps went down, they became like ice skating rinks...slicker 'n snot on door knob!

But then again, being retired from the municipality, and being very good friends with all the guys on the snow plow crew (including their boss), as well as my annual Christmas [-]bribes[/-] goodies, snacks, and cheese trays that I take to them each year, really pays off in the long run!!!

The first year that I took in cookies and a cheese tray, their boss looked at me kind of seriously, and asked me if it was a bribe. I said, "Well.......D*MN straight it is!!!" He chuckled and said I wouldn't have to worry one single bit about being able to get in or out, regardless of the snowfall....'cause as long as the boys were kept well fed, they'd take care of it! I've kept 'em fed, and they've always kept my street nice and clear within an hour of the time the plows hit the streets. (normal time to plow all the streets in town is about 10-14 hours depending on the amount of snowfall)

I love the dedication of my former co-workers!!! :D

I'm in Leesburg, Va, just about 10 miles west of Reston, Va, and about 50 miles west of DC. Here are before and after pics of my truck. They were taken through an open window but through the screen. I'm not very good at taking pics. We got about 20 or 22 inches. I plowed, using my super-cool and masculin Bobcat, after about 16".

Mike D.

Attachments

• TruckTarp.jpg
    TruckTarp.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 2
  • TruckSnow.jpg
    TruckSnow.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2
I just hand shoveled my 70' driveway enough to get the car out until the plow comes along and piles it up at the base. About 20 miles north of Leesburg and got 18.5 inches.

Attachments

• 100_1620 drive shoveled.JPG
    100_1620 drive shoveled.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_1577 yard 18 in snow.JPG
    100_1577 yard 18 in snow.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 1
This is so sweet! I lived in Northern VA for 30 years, and moved out to the shore a year or so ago. I've always told DW "it never snows at the beach", which is a slight exaggeration, but still. So DD, who rents our townhouse in Leesburg, get 21 inches. We (180 miles) east of her get 1/2 inch. :angel: For the first time ever she had to get out the snow shovel and dig herself out, instead of watching me do it. She dug the snow away, then got out her hairdryer to get rid of the ice. :ROFLMAO: She was so proud of herself she sent me a picture from her phone.

I guess I should probably take the snow thrower to her when we go back for Christmas. It never snows at the beach. :D

Here are some pics of DH and I shoveling out house #2:eek: Yup, the renters moved out and we've been busy fixing it up. We are sore and tired, but very happy tonight. We moved a ton of snow and enjoyed some of the most beautiful sights we've ever seen.

Attachments

• P1010199.JPG
    P1010199.JPG
    446.4 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010175.JPG
    P1010175.JPG
    458.9 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010168.JPG
    P1010168.JPG
    435 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010201.JPG
    P1010201.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010194.JPG
    P1010194.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 10
Gosh I feel so left out not being able to post pictures of the snow on my driveway in Honolulu.

I'll admit I am very lazy, but man that looks like very cold, hard work, to shovel the white stuff. Thanks for sharing them it reminds me why I pay the big bucks to live here.

In case any of you get tired of shoveling, Mid January flights to Honolulu from the west coast start at $350 and $600 from Chicago :)

In case any of you get tired of shoveling, Mid January flights to Honolulu from the west coast start at $350 and $600 from Chicago :)

So is this an invite for DH and I to come visit? Guess we could use our primo shovels to move some sand for ya ;)

White Christmas

I saw all those news reports about that storm(s) up and down the east coast and the photos Y'all have posted. I'm glad I live in SoCal.

It was 80 degrees here yesterday (70 today). I had the a/c on in the car yesterday cause it was gettin' kinda warm.

We have had some cool weather though and a cooling trend will take place in the next day or two.

Beautiful but really, really cold morning here in Europe...

4203026274_df31fb75f0_b.jpg

Oooooh....FIREdreamer. I didn't know you were so far away.....:eek:

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? :D Stay warm and Merry Christmas! :greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom