The Lost Decade ... in baseball

These substances weren't banned by baseball for a lot of the time they were (admittedly and/or allegedly) juicing. So if we're going to do that, we'd have to remove records held by spitball pitchers before spitballs were banned.

It's the same thing I say to people who don't think X should be in the Hall of Fame because they were a jerk. I can think of a lot of openly virulent racists currently enshrined in Cooperstown who were stars in the pre-Jackie Robinson era. Again, if we say so-and-so shouldn't be in the Hall because of their vile personality, then Ty Cobb, Rogers Hornsby and Cap Anson (among others) should be expelled.

I think it would open a real Pandora's Box to do so. Their records are tainted in the eyes of the public (just as are the public images of the racists I mentioned above) and that might have to be enough.

Sorry, stopped watching major league baseball after the 1994-95 strike. I was a life long fan (Dodgers), but the behavior of both the owners and the players was so arrogant and obnoxious I had to just say no. It hasn't gotten any better from the little I absorb through osmosis. I probably couldn't name a single player anymore, unless they had recently testified in a Congressional Hearing.

As far as the steroids, who cares. You can't compare the Babe Ruth era to the Hank Aaron era anyway. I say legalize the steroids, make it part of the game. Start a juiced league and an unjuiced league. They'll all be cyborgs in a few years anyway.

I remember that season so well (and the one before) because our son was little and he and his friends were so into baseball and the home run race.

I remember everyone saying something must be different about the baseballs or the bats, because everyone was hitting like a maniac. If I recall correctly, some sportscasters even had the baseballs analyzed vs. some older baseballs to see if the baseball manufacturers had done something.

It was an awesome day when McGwire hit his record breaker, watching on TV as he circled the bases. I'm glad McGwire came clean, and wish the others would too. I don't think the record books need an asterisk by their stats because the infamy will be there even though the substances they used were not illegal at the time.

Sometime in the future.... this record will fall...

And as mentioned... it is hard to compare records from different eras...

Now, if it were against the rules at the time... then maybe I would feel differently... like taking away the gold medal for someone who juiced... but since it was not.... let it be...

I thought steroids were not allowed during that time...but those who took them took the tailored kind that couldnt' be detected.

But if someone said, who was more of a power hitter? Aaron, Ruth, Bonds, McGwire or Sosa, I'd say the first two.

I do see what you say, as for not being able to restore the records. First, there's no way to say if someone was not on the juice, what would be the equivelant amount of home runs. Secondly, no matter how bad a character a person was (Ty Cobb, O.J Simpson, Michael Vick), they still accomplished their feats on the field.

Mark McGwire admits to using steroids:

Mark McGwire admits to using steroids for nearly a decade - USATODAY.com

Sad, but not shocked.

If Sosa and Bonds eventually admit to the juice, should they rewrite they restore the home run records?

Humans cheat. Do you really think baseball was pure before all this? If not drugs. Perhaps bribes to throw the game.

Anytime money is involved you will have people who want to influence what is going on.

I must say now with the advances of science. I want professional players to shoot up. To entertain me. The huge hits and the drama. Perform for me.

In a vacuum, if adults knowing the risks want to roid it up, it wouldn't bother me too much.

The problem is that it sends a message to kids in high school that if they want to succeed in the pros, they have to do it too.

In a vacuum, if adults knowing the risks want to roid it up, it wouldn't bother me too much.

The problem is that it sends a message to kids in high school that if they want to succeed in the pros, they have to do it too.

I guess that requires parenting to tell them to do the right thing.

You two don't make me stop this car! (channeling my mother)

You two don't make me stop this car! (channeling my mother)

My old man only need to say that one time in my life. My mother was backup.

Well he didn't say car. We had a horse drawn carriage.... ;)

Late to the party, what are we drinking/shooting? j/k Yeah, yeah, I know we can't say, "say it ain't so." But he and the Oakland A's were amazing in the '90s, several Jose's, two Hendersons, closing with Eckersley, and so on. Their outfield was the best ballet in the bay area. The good 'old days.

Late to the party, what are we drinking/shooting? j/k Yeah, yeah, I know we can't say, "say it ain't so." But he and the Oakland A's were amazing in the '90s, several Jose's, two Hendersons, closing with Eckersley, and so on. Their outfield was the best ballet in the bay area. The good 'old days.

During a Oakland-Texas game in the 80s, I saw both of the "Bash Brothers" (Conseco and McGuire) hit 450+ ft homers. Of course, Ranger pitching could make a hero out of about anyone...

Yeah, the old "Bash Brothers." It wasn't too many years ago that Jose Canseco was being vilified for his claims about rampant steroid use in baseball, being accused of sensationalism in order to sell books.

And I bet every one of them was pounding down performance enhancing Gatorade, at the very least. :)

Back
Top Bottom