Having House Cleaned by Friend

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Like Nords, I am considering loosening the purse strings a bit (I know!*). I was think about what expenditure would improve the quality of our life. One idea is to have someone clean our house every two weeks.

One of our best friends has a one-woman housecleaning business, but I think it would feel weird to hire her. That is, she'd be like our servant.

I've also always been uncomfortable having someone clean while I'm around goofing off. Plus we'd have to put our sex toys away.

Anyway, has anyone hired a friend to clean their house?

*for Craig Ferguson fans

What is happening here ? Boardies are buying cars , clothes , RV's ,vacations and now this ? Have I entered the Twilight Zone ?:)

We have a friend that cleans our house every two weeks for two hours. Dusting, bathrooms, and floors. When we decided to hire a cleaner we didn't even think of anyone else-we just knew it would be her. It has worked very well for us. But she was not what we considered a "Best" friend when we hired her. Simply a friend I knew from work, that my wife had met several times and been impressed with.

I used to clean houses myself when I was in high school and also as a starving college graduate in a screaming recession in 1980. It was darn good money for the time period.:D
I've had a housecleaner for years. I was not friends with her beforehand, but we've become friends.
I look at it this way...this is what she does to earn money. No "servitude" is involved.
We went through the entire house, agreed what would be done and not done on periodic visits. I left the option open for her to put in extra hours on special projects, like doing all of the inside of the windows top to bottom. Windows are very time consuming, so I usually do them myself.
When she comes to clean, I get all my daily use stuff out of the way and stay completely out from underfoot.
I relocate myself from room to room as she progresses. We joke about her "kicking me out" so she can clean. :LOL:

Like Nords, I am considering loosening the purse strings a bit (I know!*). I was think about what expenditure would improve the quality of our life. One idea is to have someone clean our house every two weeks.

One of our best friends has a one-woman housecleaning business, but I think it would feel weird to hire her. That is, she'd be like our servant.

I've also always been uncomfortable having someone clean while I'm around goofing off. Plus we'd have to put our sex toys away.

Anyway, has anyone hired a friend to clean their house?

*for Craig Ferguson fans

I pay someone to clean the house. Problem is I'm at back of her having full-time job and 2 offspring.

Years ago, we had a very good friend of my sister's (I knew her and liked her as well) clean our house every 2 weeks. We were at work when she was cleaning. I think that I would have felt funny if I had been there when she was cleaning. It sure was nice coming home to a clean house.

I think that the economy must be getting better with all of the loosening of the purse strings going on! Sounds good to me.

Wow...it took 8 posts to inquire about the sex toys?! :LOL:

Ahhh, but anyway. I've never had anyone clean my house, but if I did, I would not hire a friend. Any negative thing said by anyone of us involved might ruin a friendship.

Having a my house cleaned by a commercial service once every two weeks is my one big extravagance. Worth every penny. Not only do they clean stuff, but it forces me to 'pick up' around the house before they arrive. Yes, I pay people to make me clean :).

I've thought about having somone I know come in, but, there is the sex toy issue.....

Steve

I was think about what expenditure would improve the quality of our life. One idea is to have someone clean our house every two weeks.
One of our best friends has a one-woman housecleaning business, but I think it would feel weird to hire her.
You can have a best friend or a housecleaner... pick one?

Back in our good ol' working days we hired a housecleaner. We were overwhelmed and she was a godsend (our kid was 19 months old at the time). She turned our [-]disaster area[/-] home into a house. Three years later we moved and hired another housekeeper for another three years. She was a struggling young single mother who was turning her life around with our help, and we felt good about everything. She did a fantastic cleaning job, too, along with getting her college degree and a second spouse.

After the marriage she sold her business to the whacko from hell. We hesitated to fire someone who knew how to get into our house so easily. We eventually gracefully extricated ourselves with smiles and happy waves all around... but it was not a comfortable time.

You could start out by telling your best friend that she's your BF and you're worried about ruining the friendship by hiring her as a housecleaner. Maybe she's already seen your house and doesn't want to touch it. See how everyone feels about it. Best result is she's happy to clean your house, worst result is she feels appreciated that you consulted with her for a referral to some other housecleaner.

That is, she'd be like our servant.
No more than a plumber is a servant. You're hiring a professional contractor, not a maid. You'll have to have the house set up exactly the way she wants it and let her clean it the way she feels is best. You'd probably never ever feel comfortable criticizing the work without being concerned about the friendship, but maybe you'll never find anything to criticize.

I've also always been uncomfortable having someone clean while I'm around goofing off.
We made sure we were hardly ever home. It makes things easier for them to clean. You don't really want to know how they're doing it, and you certainly don't want to distract them with chitchat or making them feel as if you're looking over their shoulders. The closest we'd come to "being home" would be staying outside with yardwork or other projects, or running errands in & out during their visit.

Some people feel compelled to clean before the housecleaner comes. ("Eeeuw, she can't see our toilet looking like that!") We made sure that we picked up all the debris so that she could spend her valuable time on dusting & vacuuming, not on putting stuff away.

Plus we'd have to put our sex toys away.
Depends on nature of the "friendship" and whether or not the toys need cleaning!

I'm badly in need of a house cleaner. I have recommendation from my previous house cleaner who is suffering from medical problems. How much do people pay their house cleaners. The professionals on Craigslist seem to range form $25-45/hour which seems high...

Cliff, those rates seem high to me. $45 an hour is a lot of money. However, if you think it is worth it, it can be a bargain.

I used to pay my cleaner $80 and she came every second week. She would normally stay for 5 hours or so. Didn't do any washing or ironing, but did everything else.

I miss my cleaner. I used to love coming home from work on the days she had been because I could smell the cleaning products before I entered the apt.

I use to pay mine $100 for roughly 6 to 7 hours and she'd come 2 to 3 weeks.

By the way, I would find it uncomfortable to have a friend clean my house.

I had a weekly cleaner when I lived in my previous house. She was a niece of a lady who worked in my husband's office. She worked 4 hours and cleaned the kitchen, bathrooms, vacuumed, dusted all over. When I moved I asked her to continue here for me, but she declined as it was a 20 mile drive each way for her. I felt comfortable with her and she worked when we weren't there. I think she charged $15.00 an hour. She told me what cleaning supplies she needed, and I furnished them. I did get the gardener to follow me to the new house, and he also shovels and plows the snow which has been a God-send this winter. I wonder if my shrubs will survive the mountains of snow or if he will have to replace them.

Al - I agree with Nord's, talk it over with your friend. She might feel worse if you go elsewhere when she offers this service. I sympathize with your discomfort. DW first hired a weekly housekeeper about 25 years ago and I said something like, "my family will think we are pretentious rich jerks" only to find out that three of my five siblings already had housekeepers. Even after 25 years I feel uncomfortable being around the house while she is here and try to make myself scarce - liberal guilt I guess :)

I don't have any friends who clean houses, but if I did, I don't think I'd offer them the job. Not if house cleaners expect you to put stuff away on their behalf! We have a lot of stuff and would refuse to put any of it away. This is our house, and our lifestyle.
Deal with it, or don't take the job, would be my thought. (And wash the darn edible body paint off the bed while you're at it!)

Amethyst

I have a cleaner that ran the locker room at an exclusive athletic club that I used to belong to. Apparently it was too exclusive - it shut down for financial reasons. Anyway, i convinced him to leverage the trust that all of these wealthy guys had in him - he held the keys to get in anywhere with anyone's wallet, jewelry,etc, plus everyone felt bad about the club shutting down and putting him out of work. he's turned it into a very successful business cleaning homes with his wife, and I'm comfortable allowing him into my home to clean when I'm not there.

Second, I have two good female friends, one of whom in very need and the other of whom only knows what her floor looks like on the days she moves into or out of a home. They are coming to an arrangement where one cleans for the other every 2 weeks or so. In large part this is based on both trust and the large quantity of sex toys and valubles that are around, and which the messy one doesn't want to have to worry about. Hoping it works for both of them, I'm happier with someone that I trust but isn't a friend.

Ok Al...here comes your turn on the hot seat...
Do any of these toys bear any sort of vague resemblance to my avatar? :cool:
Y'know, when BbbamI asks that question with her leather boots sticking out of her avatar, then it's intriguing.

When you ask that question with Bugs Bunny snickering and asking "What's up, Doc?!?", then it's probably not the image that the "toy" manufacturer was hoping to inspire...

Back
Top Bottom