Strange phone call

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
DW answered her cell phone today (yeah, without bothering to see who was calling). It was a recording and she didn't understand the first part of the call identifying the name of the credit card company, but the recording said they wanted to confirm she had received the letter they sent outlining changes to the credit card agreement. As the call ended, the recording said if you have questions and would like to speak to a representative, please press 9. She did.

A "gentleman" answered the phone and DW explained she missed the first part of the recording and wanted to know what company was calling. The representative asked "Did you press 9?"

When she responded in the affirmative, his response was "You stupid ****ing b!tch, ...", and at that point DW disconnected the call.

I did a reverse number look-up and the number came back as an unlisted cell phone in Paramus, NJ.

Any ideas on what might have transpired?

The mob is now doing credit card autodialer work on contract?

No real idea, but perhaps the gentleman is genuinely annoyed because the credit cards company's robocall system has incorrectly routed many, many calls to him.

Any additional clues on your cell company's on-line call record?

Mrs. REWahoo story of that mysterious phone call is obviously covering for her New Jersey boyfriend :)

Last edited:
When she responded in the affirmative, his response was "You stupid ****ing b!tch, ...", and at that point DW disconnected the call.

I did a reverse number look-up and the number came back as an unlisted cell phone in Paramus, NJ.

I lived in NJ for about a dozen years. That seems to be the normal NJ phone edict. Just sayin...

Simply googling the number instead of the reverse number search will likely turn up a reference if others have experienced any similar problems with that number. That might shed some light on what's going on.

I can't think of a good explanation. I googled some stuff, but came up empty. Perhaps a disgruntled telemarketer??

Simply googling the number instead of the reverse number search will likely turn up a reference if others have experienced any similar problems with that number. That might shed some light on what's going on.

Oh! I missed that. You have a number? Well why don't you make a habit of calling it at inconvenient hours? Between 5 and 6 am sounds like good timing.

Well why don't you make a habit of calling it at inconvenient hours? Between 5 and 6 am sounds like good timing.
Because this may be the most likely explanation of what happened:
...perhaps the gentleman is genuinely annoyed because the credit cards company's robocall system has incorrectly routed many, many calls to him.

This is a pretty well known scam (or the beginning of one).. you might alert your cell provider via e-mail and also ask how you can report the number.

some people, when called "stupid ****ing bitch", shout out their bank ac'ct number and social in shock?

Because this may be the most likely explanation of what happened:

So, you are convinced that the person was merely acknowledging your wife's query with the NJ version of "Howdy"? ... You are probably right.

Thanks. Looks like several others have had similar experiences: 800notes.com/1-973-725-6092

But that doesn't explain why they would make telemarketing calls and then swear at you. I do have to say that I like the one where someone asked what bank it was and the telemarketer answered that it was a sperm bank.

A "gentleman" answered the phone and DW explained she missed the first part of the recording and wanted to know what company was calling. The representative asked "Did you press 9?"

So what's the problem, REW? Sounds like typical Customer Service to me. :D

At least you know they didn't subcontract out CS to the Indian Subcontinent...

I traced a similar caller to a "credit counseling" service in Florida. After finding the owner's name from the Florida Secretary of State website, I used Skype to call the owner's home phone and to further inquire about their services (several times, over several days). I also called the office . It was a great time killer while I was cooking dinner.

The number is probably fake. Test it with Skype.

Edit: "This subscriber can not receive messages at this time."

Ok can someone help me out. I have a missed call on my phone from China. How do I reverse search it? I tried googling the number, however I am not the most technically savvy person. The number is +86 156 0424 0099. I don't know anyone in China, so figure it is a scam.

Ok can someone help me out. I have a missed call on my phone from China. How do I reverse search it? I tried googling the number, however I am not the most technically savvy person. The number is +86 156 0424 0099. I don't know anyone in China, so figure it is a scam.

Someone answers in English at that number. Other people were speaking Chinese in the background (call center?).

Him: Hello?
Me: Hello. You called me?
Him: Nonono.
<click>

Someone answers in English at that number. Other people were speaking Chinese in the background (call center?).

Him: Hello?
Me: Hello. You called me?
Him: Nonono.
<click>
Reminds me of a peeve of mine, when I answer the phone and someone I don't recognize on the other end asks, "who is this?"

Well, you called ME -- you tell me who YOU are.

Back
Top Bottom