Songs of Home

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Inspired by Ha's where we live thread. I love catching glimpses of life in different areas. Please post a song written about the place you're from or sung by someone from your neck of the woods. I'll kick it off with my favorite singer from the great Commonwealth of Virginia.

YouTube - Patsy Cline - I Fall To Pieces

I'm from Pasadena CA and I refuse to identify with the Beach Boys 'Little Old Lady From Pasadena":whistle:

Can't think of another local song.

New Orleans has a rich musical tradition, with many wonderful musicians and vocalists of all different genres, especially jazz singers but also rock 'n' roll, blues, and more. Who to pick? Fats Domino? Irma Thomas? Finally I settled on the legendary Louis Armstrong playing and singing a song that is quite popular here (especially this year):

Now, if you want a song ABOUT an event in the history of New Orleans, here's one that I love (but it was sung by a Texan, and my apologies in advance if it offends any of the terrific Brits on our board):

A couple of weeks ago Frank and I spent some time at the Chalmette Battlefield, where that battle occurred, on the outskirts of New Orleans. Hard to imagine.

I'm from Pasadena CA and I refuse to identify with the Beach Boys 'Little Old Lady From Pasadena":whistle:

Can't think of another local song.

Love the Beach Boys but can't blame you on this one. But hey, isn't Pasadena in LA County?

New Orleans has a rich musical tradition, with many wonderful musicians and vocalists of all different genres, especially jazz singers but also rock 'n' roll, blues, and more. Who to pick? Fats Domino? Irma Thomas? Finally I settled on the legendary Louis Armstrong playing and singing a song that is quite popular here (especially this year):

Let's not forget Dr. John or the basic NOLA philosophy:

YouTube - Dr John - Let the Good Times Roll

My second nomination is called "The New Colorado State Song." It was written by Utah Phillips, who may be better known as a raconteur for his classic Moose Turd Pie. I have heard his proposed Colorado song on some scratchy vinyl from a 1970s album by a Denver folk group called Grubstake.

The tune is so simple that even I can sing it, and one verse goes like this:

We've got a lot of trouble with the jet set,
Those lazy no-good bastards love to ski,
And they all want to fly to Colorado,
Then buy up all our mountain property.
There's a chorus:

Well you can visit now and then,
Bring your money, bring your friends,
Bring your campers and your Winnebagoes too.
Bring your festivals and dope, and we all sincerely hope,
That you don't forget to leave when you get through.

I couldn't find a copy of it to include here but I did locate Emmylou Harris' version of Utah's "Green Rollin' Hills of West Virginia" for those from WV.

I don't know that anyone has ever written a song about Connecticut, but here is a relatively famous song from Steam, a one hit wonder from Bridgeport, CT -- right down the road from my place.
I love that song! :flowers:

From Mr. Purron.

Please thank Mr. Purron for that! I remember every word of that song so clearly from many years ago, on 78 rpm records. But I never saw them sing it, so that was fun to watch. :flowers:

Telephone Road is just a ghost of what it once was, but back in the day it was a place where you could find heaven or hell on the same night - sometimes more than once in a night. Music, food, bars, women, guns, drugs and anything else you wanted. It inspired at least three different eponymous songs (all three songs are good, but only the first video is worth watching)

YouTube - Rodney Crowell - Telephone Road

YouTube - MARKY MAY-TELEPHONE ROAD

Telephone Road - Video

http://blogs.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2008/01/a_conversation_with_burton_chapman.html

YouTube - on the banks of my own lovely lee music video

Where we sported and played
'Neath the green leafy shade
On the banks of my own lovely Lee

OK, now the quiz:
1. Where is Meadbh from?
2. What sport are they playing?
And, for bonus points.....
3. What is the name of the cup that the captain of the winning team brandishes near the end?
4. Why was the Lee in the news in November 2009?

YouTube - on the banks of my own lovely lee music video

Where we sported and played
'Neath the green leafy shade
On the banks of my own lovely Lee

OK, now the quiz:
1. Where is Meadbh from?
2. What sport are they playing?
And, for bonus points.....
3. What is the name of the cup that the captain of the winning team brandishes near the end?
4. Why was the Lee in the news in November 2009?

I'd say you are from Ireland (the Guiness banners all over the field gave it away) and they are playing hurling.

You are right and right FD! Now can you guess the city?

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Well done! I am indeed a Corkonian. Cork is known as the Rebel County.
You will never guess the answer to #3 (in retrospect I think that was just too hard) but can anyone tell me what happened in, on or around the River Lee last November?

Telephone Road is just a ghost of what it once was, but back in the day it was a place where you could find heaven or hell on the same night - sometimes more than once in a night. Music, food, bars, women, guns, drugs and anything else you wanted. It inspired at least three different eponymous songs (all three songs are good, but only the first video is worth watching)

YouTube - Rodney Crowell - Telephone Road

Yikes! I went to high school with Rodney Crowell, although he was a year or two ahead of me and I didn't know him.
I'm not sure if I am happy about being reminded of those times.

Back
Top Bottom