Need help finding good dental insurance

at_last

Dryer sheet wannabe
Moving closer to age 65 and the loss of my meager dental insurance. I am searching for dental insurance once I reach 65 because I expect to need continued care. I have researched dental plans which get you a discount. I also know folks who travel to Algadones Mexico (I live near Phoenix) for inexpensive care. Does anyone have any leads for dental insurance that actually pay reasonably well?

Dental insurance when you are paying out of pocket is generally a waste of time. If you will be having stuff done in the US, try tofind a plan that will simply let you use their provider network at the cram-down prices they negotiate with the dentists. Otherwise, if you like travellig and need major work I would take a trip south of the border.

I would be very surprised if you found a plan that is better than paying out-of-pocket plus going outside the country for major work.

I would agree dental insurance is a waste. Many insurances are the prepaid type where the dentist gets paid whether you come in or not. He's got an incentive not to see you. With deductibles and copays and low 500 to 1500 dollar per year maximums... I would rather borrow 10,000 out of my house and pay the 50 bucks per month it costs if money is an issue. At least you get to write the interest off. With the bad economy dental visits are down and they're hurting for business. Some of my friends do some bargaining on price for procedures. Dentists have also let them make monthly payments for procedures somewhat equal to the price of the insurance. You might as well cut out the middle man.

We had a discussion on dental insurance sometime back.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/dental-insurance-48260.html

In my case, I do have dental insurance. Comparing having dental insurance vs paying out of pocket, I was short by about $150 by having dental insurance.

Seems to more you go (which might be your case), the more reasonable having insurance is. Ehealthinsurance (Health Insurance - Affordable Health Insurance Quotes, Buy Medical Insurance Plans Online) is one place you can go and look/apply for dental insurance plans if it makes sense for you.

OP:

Agree with the others. Did the same search years ago. Ask every dentist I knew.

Result. Unless your dental plan is from a large employer, Forget it.

However, you might visit a "dental school" for work. I heard the work is good. Just takes longer. But the costs are less.

Just to add another tuppence worth:
I looked into various dental insurance plans about a year ago, and decided that they weren't worth it. Based on our last 10 years of dental work, and the current charges from our excellent local dentist (who doesn't participate in any plan), it was just about a wash.

OTOH, if you expect to have a lot of work done (probably because you didn't take really good care of your teeth), and you're willing to use the dentists who are in some plans, I can see where it might definitely be worthwhile. The Delta plan probably comes out best for that scenario.

I have to agree that dental insurance is not worth it for me after doing some homework on it. Not enough payout for even the small monthly they asked for. Since I have some crowns and bridges, I'm heading south of the border or another country when it becomes implant time. Way too expensive here for that.

However, I did get dental insurance 20 years ago or so--which covered orthodontia--for my son when he needed braces that saved me about $1,500+/- if I remember right.
And the Orthodontist we used was really great having graduated from University of Texas #1 in his class (as a side note, he was a big, tall Chinese guy with a really hick Texas accent...go figure?). Anyway, we did well with that dental insurance. You have to do your homework on dental insurance savings for sure first before plunking down any money, tho. Doesn't save a penny in many cases.

Back
Top Bottom