Investors pick U.S. Over BRICs

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
From Bloomberg. Contrarians take note:

Investors Pick U.S. Over BRICs in Bloomberg User Poll (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

June 8 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. has supplanted China and Brazil as the most attractive market for investors as confidence in the global economic recovery wanes in the wake of the Greek debt crisis.

Almost four of 10 respondents picked the U.S. as the market presenting the best opportunities in the year ahead. That’s more than double the portion who said so last October, when the U.S. was rated the market posing the greatest downside risk by a plurality of respondents.

Talk about timing. I had reduced my EM exposure and just recently decided to increase it again - starting today.

All signs are looking quite good for buying internationals in early 2011, which is good, since I have yet to add an international portion to my portfolio. I would prefer the dollar to cross over the 1.0 mark though at least before buying, which is quite possible. 1.2 would be great, but I doubt the dollar will rise that fast in a year.

All signs are looking quite good for buying internationals in early 2011, which is good, since I have yet to add an international portion to my portfolio. I would prefer the dollar to cross over the 1.0 mark though at least before buying, which is quite possible. 1.2 would be great, but I doubt the dollar will rise that fast in a year.

Against what?

Easier for me to just copy+paste an explanation of the weightings:

"The US Dollar Index (USDX) is an index (or measure) of the value of the United States dollar relative to a basket of foreign currencies.
It is a weighted geometric mean of the dollar's value compared only with

USDX started in March 1973, soon after the dismantling of the Bretton Woods system. At its start, the value of the US Dollar Index was 100.000. It has since traded as high as the mid-160s and as low as 70.698 on March 16, 2008, the lowest since its inception in 1973 (and this extended into early 2010)."

Source: Wikipedia

The dollar has been very weak for purchasing Internationals between 2008-early 2010. I don't think it will be surprising see it become strong in the near future.

International is my most underweight asset class right now. I expect to rebalance (to add more) in the near future. Just waiting to hit my trigger.

Audrey

The dollar has been very weak for purchasing Internationals between 2008-early 2010. I don't think it will be surprising see it become strong in the near future.
Just the opposite. The US$ had been losing for most of the decade through early ’08 but has gained substantially over the past 2 years. The best thing that could happen to us would be a sustained but orderly decline of the US$.

Most folks judge strength via Euro vs US$. Better to track the Real (Brazil) and Remembi ( China).

International is my most underweight asset class right now. I expect to rebalance (to add more) in the near future. Just waiting to hit my trigger.
World cup kicks off this friday. Animal spirits will be unleashed – for better or for worse. One thing I expect to see is a slowing of 2Q profits around the world - due to people working less so they can watch the games. That is, everywhere but the US.

New Nike World Cup ad here – very enjoyable.YouTube - NIKE FOOTBALL WRITE THE FUTURE - FULL LENGTH VERSION

Back
Top Bottom