Survey

Coach

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was offered the opportunity to take a survey when I logged in to the forum this morning. According to the survey, "Early-retirement.org is conducting research to better understand and meet the needs of its site users." Having taken the survey I suspect its real purpose is to help sell advertising, since it seemed mostly interested in my financial status and trading practices.

In the future it would be nice if the admins would post some information about things like this ahead of time.

Coach

Having taken the survey I suspect its real purpose is to help sell advertising, since it seemed mostly interested in my financial status and trading practices.

I came to the same conclusion... whoever dreamed this up is going to be very disappointed in my responses.

I think the professional management of the site and several others just had it run.

I agree that a heads up would result in more cooperation and useful data.

As I have been a dope in the past about answering things that popped up on my computer(resulting in much spam and strange e-mails), I quickly declined to participate in the survey.

I started to take the survey then become unsure whether it actually is sanctioned by the owners of this website, or just a clever pop-up/spam. The first couple of questions made me suspicious so I shut it down.

Concerning surveys in general, sometimes a web site will suggest I take a survey to help them. In the past I'd think, "OK, there are some definite areas of improvement, things I could suggest, etc. I'll do it." But when I take the survey, there is usually no opportunity for making the suggestions, just a bunch of multiple choice questions. So I no longer do surveys.

My opinion is far too valuable for me simply offer it freely. Oops, I guess I just did

I've noticed many surveys on sites I frequent. I never participate. This falls into the same bucket as those phone call surveys I usually don't even answer because I see it as junk call number on my caller ID.

Know what bothers me too? Most sites have ads, but many now have those ones that if you accidently hover over them, a new window pops up filling the screen with the ad. Then I have to look for the "close" or "x" button to get rid of the thing.

I don't answer the door if I don't recognize the person.....because it's usually a solicitor that's too stupid to read the "no solicitors" sign. I normally never answer the telephone at home, my answering machine screens the calls. And I NEVER take internet surveys...NEVER! :nonono:

I was offered the opportunity to take a survey when I logged in to the forum this morning.
You just need some motivation... like free admin/moderator passwords for a day, or a month's full FIRECalc access, or being able to edit/delete posts for 24 hours.

I didn't take the survey.... If someone that can data mine can not figure my view with the 4000 plus post here.... a survey will not help...

I do have ads turned off... so I don't get them.. good for me...

PS... I am HARD to sell to.... I kind of know what I want... and know what I don't want... I do enough research on what I want to buy.... well, what I want!!

The ads don't change my mind... now... I will admit that an ad for a new movie might get me interested in seeing it... and one for a new TV show can do the same... but the car ads, beer ads, food ads, ED ads... hmm, what else... (I really don't know... I have been time shifting for over a year and I don't watch TV ads much)...

Sorry about the inconvenience of this survey and more importantly for not giving you all a heads up about it. This survey is from a marketing firm who is trying to help us get more relevant ads on the site. You can easily opt out for 60 days each time you click "No Thanks". For those of you who are willing to fill it in accurately, it would be appreciated. It will help us get more relevant ads on the site.

Sorry about the inconvenience of this survey and more importantly for not giving you all a heads up about it. This survey is from a marketing firm who is trying to help us get more relevant ads on the site. You can easily opt out for 60 days each time you click "No Thanks". For those of you who are willing to fill it in accurately, it would be appreciated. It will help us get more relevant ads on the site.

Bacon ads?

Now that I know it was intentional, I can be genuinely outraged at the oversight. Too bad. It might have produced some useful results.

This survey is from a marketing firm who is trying to help us get more relevant ads on the site.

Well, they could have just asked straight out -- I would find, for example, advertising of free software or free books relevant to my spending pattern.

Why is it so focussed on trading practices and financial status? Those are questions I don't like answering. I think I've started the survey twice and then stopped after I got part way done.

Just wait 60 days and you can take it again if you deferred on the first appearance!

I would like to see ads for free travel :)

Well, they could have just asked straight out -- I would find, for example, advertising of free software or free books relevant to my spending pattern.
But perhaps not to their business plan? :)

Why is it so focussed on trading practices and financial status? Those are questions I don't like answering. I think I've started the survey twice and then stopped after I got part way done.
It is not near so much fun online as in person, but I love to just answer with absurd numbers that create totally impossible scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom