Ipod Touch dilemma

modhatter

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have a delima, and it's driving me crazy. I would like to buy an IPod Touch. I don't need an IPod Touch. I just want one. There new one will be coming out in the beginning of September with obvious improvements and everyone is hopeful it will have an actual built in mic and camera, but no guarantees of course. I listen to audio books, and may down load some e-books, and perhaps some pod casts and tv shows like HD Net's Dan Rather, not available where I am right now for the next two months. Here is where I get stuck. I can buy a refurbished 8 gb from apple with new battery for $150. I can get a new 8 gb at Costco for $178 or I can get a 32 gb (which is more the size I ultimately would want) at Costco for $264. I hate spending $264 plus tax right now and then wishing I waited come Sept. On the other hand, I know the 8 gb would by ultimately too small for me long term.

So do I buy the refurbished 8 gb now for $150, and give it to my son (who probably won't use it anyway) and if I like the Touch and the new ones have some of the improvements I want I can buy the new one in Sept with the larger 32 gb drive. I guess I could also consider selling the 8 gb. one for $100 in a few months and only be out $50. Though most people want the larger drives. I need to make a decision so I can play NOW, or it will soon be September.

My gal uses her iphone 3G hard and has no problem with the memory space on the machine. Without a camera I betcha you wouldn't notice the 8GB as restrictive.

I have the 8g iTouch and it is fine for music, podcasts, etc. I would go for it so you can enjoy it NOW. You might be hit by a bus before September and then you'd be sad you waited.
:) This is the same argument my DH uses for every small expensive item he wants. We call it the "hit by a bus scenario".

The 8 GB Itouch is the SECOND generation, not the THIRD generation like the 32GB and 64GB models that came out last September. Many people called this deceptive marketing by Apple.

If you are in one of these areas (Cleveland, Eastern OH, Idaho, Western NY, Oregon, Seattle Cascades, South Puget Sound, Central NY, Rochester, Maine, Northwest OH, Michigan, and Capital Region NY.) and want it SOON but not necessarily NOW maybe you could do this deal -

https://www.key.com/gen/html/mkt-q210-check-touch.html

My guess is that it will be the iPod Touch 3G with 32 GB.

If you are in one of these areas (Cleveland, Eastern OH, Idaho, Western NY, Oregon, Seattle Cascades, South Puget Sound, Central NY, Rochester, Maine, Northwest OH, Michigan, and Capital Region NY.) and want it SOON but not necessarily NOW maybe you could do this deal -

https://www.key.com/gen/html/mkt-q210-check-touch.html

My guess is that it will be the iPod Touch 3G with 32 GB.

I signed up for this deal - they will ship the ipod within 90 days of satisfaction of requirements, in my case a debit card transaction and two auto draw payments of over $100 each. Others could do two autodeposits of their SS or paycheck to meet requirements. Then have 6 months to close account to avoid the $20 annual fee. Figure that means I get an ipod in about 6 months from now - a mere nothing for a delayed gratification type. I'm counting on the cheapest ipod available, but am willing to be pleasantly surprised.

I did a similar promo deal with this bank a few years ago and I was surprised that the iPod came very soon after I did the required transactions. I went back and checked. It was shipped 1 month later.

When the promo offer started the iPod was a 3rd generation Nano. Soon after the offer started the 4th generation came out and I was sure we'd get the older one from Key Bank. I was very pleased that it was the newest, 4th generation.

I checked out the Key Bank deal and it is not in my area. Also looked around for others. So just made the decision and ordered the new 32 gb from Amazon for $260. When you consider no tax ($12) and the built in microphone in the headset, plus three times the space, I figured it was worth the extra $90 bucks without tax. I know I will be crying when the new one comes out, Oh the price of impatience.

By the way for you that have one - how do you like it, and have you jail broke yours?

Once you get it, you will need it.

I was in the same boat, and bought my iPod as part of my effort to spend more money. I got my 8 G 2nd Gen model for $138 on Amazon.

It is extremely useful. The free ShopShop app lets me quickly add stuff to shopping and to-do lists at any time. It saved me today when it reminded me of something I needed to pick up. And there is nothing cooler than picking it up and speaking "What does xxx mean?" and having Google find the meaning for you.

I have a long list of very useful apps.

It's great for checking email, etc. without opening your klunky laptop.

I haven't jail broken it -- I found no reason to.

Best apps

gmail
google calendarr
IMdb
Notemaster
Dragon dictate
dictionary
weather
Babla swedish english dictionary
igoogle
Google
Yard sale mapper
Road trip lite (quickly enter and track car mileage)
ShopShop
Kindle
ABC News mobile web site
Angry Birds

I bought one last year. Loved it so much, that when I received a free gift from work, I got a second one. Neither jailbroken, havent seen the need and didnt want to bother with the risk. I have a lot of free games, a few paid, I did buy DocToGo (so I could bring documents with me when I travel and not have to lug my laptop), lots of music, and some TV shows to watch while at the gym. I think you will be glad you got the large hard drive.

My personal favorite games are Lock N' Roll (not Lock N' Roll 2, which I think is way too easy) and Collapse (although personally I like Collapse Free more than the paid version....)

Al - if you like Angry Birds, have you seen Ninja Free? It's pretty cute and along the same vein.....

I'll try it, thanks.

I use it a lot for cooking. I just copy and paste any recipes to google docs in an iPod/Recipes folder. I then put the iPod on the counter as I cook.

For Christmas I got younger son a 32GB itouch. It was not big enough for his music and he already had a Blackberry so I swapped him for the large hard disk ipod. Now that I have the itouch I am rarely using my netbook, only need that if I need to connect a camera to download or type a larger document. At the local coffee shop it is all that I need to keep in touch.
My apps:
standard apple: weather, music, stocks
added: CNN Money, Gold Prices;Yard Sale, Free WiFi, Flashlight, Craigsphone & Dragon (not used yet) From Tal's recommendation.
Nowwe have Apple Mobile ME so this itouch shares calendars, email, contacts & bookmarks with DW's iphone, her laptop, our desktop and even my PC netbook. There is a MobileMe app that is called "Find My iphone" and it works for the iphone and itouch (if neat WiFi). Just love this thing. But if I did not have a netbook and the itouch I would be looking for an ipad.

Man, you guys are having so much fun and I haven't even caught up with you on my iPad.

Apple released some software a couple of days ago that will let you read ebooks on your iPhone and iPod Touch I think.

Audrey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom