Child-free study: FYI

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It seems to me that we have more than one thread containing comments about/from folks that haven't had children, which surely is not for everybody and--having raised a boy's boy myself--I get it now :LOL:! (Not that he hasn't been the light of my life, but...)
Anyway, in case you missed this, here is an interesting article from USA Today on being child-free. I hope you enjoy it.

Nearly 1 in 5 older women are going childless - USATODAY.com

I heard recently that a study found both childless men & women at all age groups rated significantly happier than those with children. The drive to procreate must lie in something else - not happiness.

Last edited:
And as usual, the article is complete with idiotic, intolerant comments from the rabble. Sometimes I think the ability to post comments on these news articles (especially the political and religious ones) is contributing heavily to the breakdown in social civility. With apologies for the double negative, some people are simply not capable of not being troglodytes.

I heard recently that study found both childless men & women at all age groups rated significantly happier than those with children. The drive to procreate must in something else - not happiness.

We originally thought we'd have perhaps 2-3 kids. But we liked the configuration of our lives as is, and we want to remain each other's undisputed #1 in our lives -- not "1A" and "1B" or even #2 behind the kids, as we've seen in some strained relationships involving children.

I remain unclear on the concept of defining myself by something I'm not. I'll read this thread with interest.

And as usual, the article is complete with idiotic, intolerant comments from the rabble. Sometimes I think the ability to post comments on these news articles (especially the political and religious ones) is contributing heavily to the breakdown in social civility. With apologies for the double negative, some people are simply not capable of not being troglodytes.

We originally thought we'd have perhaps 2-3 kids. But we liked the configuration of our lives as is, and we want to remain each other's undisputed #1 in our lives -- not "1A" and "1B" or even #2 behind the kids, as we've seen in some strained relationships involving children.

Geepers...I certainly did NOT post this to offend anyone. I just thought it was interesting that more women today are choosing not to have kids, and certainly did not want to hurt anyone's feelings. My apologies to those who are offended by this post. It was definitely not my intent on any level at all.:flowers:

However, please, someone is going to have to actually point out what is so offensive about this study to me. I just took it as an interesting fact of today's world. Help me understand, Ziggy29, as I'm here to learn.

Geepers...I certainly did NOT post this to offend anyone. I just thought it was interesting that more women today are choosing not to have kids, and certainly did not want to hurt anyone's feelings. My apologies to those who are offended by this post. It was definitely not my intent on any level at all.:flowers:
Sorry if you misunderstood -- no, I'm not offended at all! I was just noting the idiocy of all the comments off of that article!

It seems to me that we have more than one thread containing comments on folks that haven't had children, which surely is not for everybody and--having raised a boy's boy myself--I get it now :LOL:! (Not that he hasn't been the light of my life, but...)
Anyway, in case you missed this, here is an interesting article from USA Today on being child-free. I hope you enjoy it.

Nearly 1 in 5 older women are going childless - USATODAY.com

I've never had an urge to have children. And, when growing up I do not remember any of the guys saying they wanted children.
Some parents I know expressed that they were tired of the kids and wish they were out of the house when the kids were about 16.

The natural urge to reproduce is powerful. I remember dating women who were around 30 - I felt like I was being sized up as a sperm donor.

Anyone want to start a pool on how many posts this thread will go prior to being closed? Maybe a secondary bet on when the personal insults and name calling will start?

However, please, someone is going to have to actually point out what is so offensive about this study to me. I just took it as an interesting fact of today's world. Help me understand, Ziggy29, as I'm here to learn.
There is nothing offensive about the article to me. I was merely commenting on how caustic and mean some of the comments from readers on that page were. Has nothing to do with the article itself. Was I really that unclear? My apologies if so...

Anyone want to start a pool on how many posts this thread will go prior to being closed? Maybe a secondary bet on when the personal insults and name calling will start?

I give it 70 posts. Signed childless, not-yet-a-billionnaire CJ. What are you not?

I agree that so many of my childfree brethren and their child-ful counterparts "out there" have a hard time seeing the other side's point of view, but we've managed pretty well here in E-R.org land, I think, at apply reason instead of emotion to the subject. But out there, it is not unlike the pure venom that can be generated between SAHMs and those who work outside the home.

I think our tent is big enough. :) And I'm now in the enviable place in my life where others now agree that having kids would have been a really bad idea for me!

Next topic: Which is better, Cats or Dogs?

Having never ever had a cat, I am perfectly equipped to render a fair and impartial objective opinion: the answer is "yes."

Last edited:
But out there, it is not unlike the pure venom that can be generated between SAHMs and those who work outside the home.

Ye gads, yes! "Childfree" versus "childed" is very restrained compared to this one. And it's worse largely because both sides use the kids as part of their "ammunition" to support their position.

I've got 5 dogs and 7 cats; you tell me! :D

We have one dog and two cats -- but we have 40 pounds of dog and 22 pounds of cat. So do we have more dog or more cat? ;)

Here's my newest dog that found me on the road a month or so ago--her name is Biscuit and she looks, well, as best I can describe it, she's like a miniature Border Collie, even though no such thing exists. I've had suggestions of Pom and Papillon and some other guesses, but who knows. She's 14 lbs and adorable!

Attachments

• Biscuit.JPG
    Biscuit.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 1
I have slowly figured out that I'm more of a kid person than a cat or dog person. Luckily my kids are old enough to feed our one remaining cat. We just buy the food and flea collars and hope the cat lives out the rest of her natural life. :)

If you don't have kids, who's going to mow the grass when you are lazy?

I heard recently that a study found both childless men & women at all age groups rated significantly happier than those with children. The drive to procreate must lie in something else - not happiness.

I can't comment on the "studies", but I think it would not be unexpected if the "drive" to have children were based on something other than happiness. That isn't how motivational states work. For one thing, happiness cannot really be predicted in advance. Once you initiate a desired pregnancy, you are on a long ride, which essentially only ends when you or the child or dies. Is the drive to achieve career prominance because you will be happier? Several posters have cited studies suggesting that career prominance will not make you happier, perhaps even less happy.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom