Marco Island, FL

emi guy

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Real Estate on Marco Island, Florida. DW and I have been looking at condos on the island and thinking about buying a small snowbird place to use in retirement during the cold months, which will not be for another seven or so years. Our plan would be to use it occasionally between now and then and to rent it when not in use. We have vacationed there and like the location and the prices seems reasonable. Any first hand information either good or bad about buying on Marco?

Thanks in advance!

Good:
- Beautiful
- Easy access to anywhere on the island without a car
- Home prices have dropped a lot

Bad:
- Hurricanes
- Expensive

I've been there several times on vacation, and love it. Beautiful beaches, nice people, and a very nice area. Naples is quite upscale and just up the road. I'd probably buy a condo there someday if I could afford it.

Good:
- Beautiful
- Easy access to anywhere on the island without a car
- Home prices have dropped a lot

Bad:
- Hurricanes
- Expensive

I've been there several times on vacation, and love it. Beautiful beaches, nice people, and a very nice area. Naples is quite upscale and just up the road. I'd probably buy a condo there someday if I could afford it.
Prices may not be as high as they once were -- word of mouth suggests that prices are not as low as other nearby areas, but still quite low historically. If you like it there (I do) I think it may be a good time to buy. The BP oil catastrophe has hit prices hard even though the area was unaffected by the spill..

My partners and I own 2 condos on Marco Island. One is a full time rental that we manage ourselves and may sell in a couple of years. The other is in the the Olde Marco complex and is rented weekly? through a rental agency.

Marco seems nice - I was only there for a day.

Being a long distance landlord can be tough. I recommend thoroughly checking out the island, condos, management agencies and opinions of residents/owners before diving in. Maybe rent for a few weeks first to do your recon.

We were in the area in March on vacation and were thinking the same thing. Maybe 6 months from full time empty nester/retirement/whatever.

I kinda liked the idea. My wife, on the other hand, is only luke warm about it. I also have adult ADD and might get bored in the same place all winter, even though Marco Island is very nice.

The thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is an experience I had carrying 2 houses a few years back. They were 20 minutes away from each other, and still a pain.

Back
Top Bottom