So, where to put about $20k?

myself

Recycles dryer sheets
I've got a 401k rolled over into an IRA where I can now buy stocks/funds as I see fit (not limited like traditional 401Ks).

I'm considering a little bit of ORB, and very likely some more BRK.B (got 100 shares already), and FSLR. Admittedly I'm a little leary that FSLR is having a more difficult time making more inroads that they haven't already broken through. And BRK.B seems like a safe haven.

Any suggestions/ideas on these or other stocks?

I think you'll find a lot of people here recommending Vanguard Index funds... I have about 15% of my total investments in them myself. All of my equities are Large Cap dividend producing stocks, I have kind of made my own "MF" of sorts. They are doing quite well and include GE, PG, VZ, CVX, XOM, MMM, BAX, MCD, IBM, INTC, JPM, PEP and YUM. I generally have a bond ladder set up to balance the volatility as well as PCRIX and a Northern REIT fund. I generally balance my portfolio by buying more Vanguard funds including admiralty shares (VWINX)

I think you'll find a lot of people here recommending Vanguard Index funds... I have about 15% of my total investments in them myself. All of my equities are Large Cap dividend producing stocks, I have kind of made my own "MF" of sorts. They are doing quite well and include GE, PG, VZ, CVX, XOM, MMM, BAX, MCD, IBM, INTC, JPM, PEP and YUM. I generally have a bond ladder set up to balance the volatility as well as PCRIX and a Northern REIT fund. I generally balance my portfolio by buying more Vanguard funds including admiralty shares (VWINX)

I have considered getting some VFINX along with some AAPL. I like the dividends that PG pay out, but I can remember getting close to being burned by C (Citigroup), just before I sold them off somewhere back in 2006 at about $50/shr.

Thanks for the ideas!

And BRK.B seems like a safe haven.

Any suggestions/ideas on these or other stocks?

I owned BRK.B for a while in tax-defer acct and enhanced the return by selling covered options. I usually pick a couple ticks up from what I paid. Like getting a dividend.

Back
Top Bottom