Whipping Cream Expiration Puzzle

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Today at Costco they had heavy whipping cream (2 qt) with an expiration date of 11/18/10 (that is 5 days from now). At Safeway they had small containers of heavy whipping cream with an expiration date of 1/13/2011 (two months from now).

Why the big difference? Do you think the product is different, it takes Costco longer to get it into the stores, or the dates are arbitrary?

Could be differences in the "born on" dates, but it might also be product differences. Most likely pasteurized versus ultra-pasteurized.

Pasteurization is required for many products, but going the "ultra" route is over-and-above (from a legal standpoint, from a flavor standpoint or for cheese making some may disagree), and is often just labeled 'pasteurized'. They don't have to label the "ultra" part unless they want to. Laws may vary state-to-state, but that's my understanding (mostly gleaned from looking into cheese making at home, the ultra-pasteurization affects the process, and home cheese makers look for "non-ultra", or raw if they can get it).

edit - SVHoper beat me to it.

-ERD50

I am really impressed that you make real whipped cream for your adventures . Most people just use canned !:)

I am really impressed that you make real whipped cream for your adventures . Most people just use canned !:)

And he needs 2 quarts of it. That's A LOT of whipping cream.

herbf.jpg

I know I wasn't the only one who thought of Herb Alpert's album. They say some people even bought this for the record inside.

We have an isi whipped cream maker. It's great. Just put 2 cups of cream in it, add 2 drops of liquid splenda, and you're set for sugar-free whipped cream. Very easy.

We have an isi whipped cream maker. It's great. Just put 2 cups of cream in it, add 2 drops of liquid splenda, and you're set for sugar-free whipped cream. Very easy.

Wow ! You guys are kinky and health conscious ! But Al have you done a cost analysis of what this behavior is costing you ? Maybe you could find slightly used whipped cream on craigslist .

I don't add any sweetener to whipped cream. For me, that makes it like candy. I love the basic cream taste with a hint of vanilla. Whips up really fast with one of those hand held blenders (DW uses the other 'blade' attachment that makes great pureed soups).

But some people put sugar in coffee too. I don't get that either. Don't they like coffee?

-ERD50

herbf.jpg

I know I wasn't the only one who thought of Herb Alpert's album. They say some people even bought this for the record inside.

Pretty risqué stuff for 1965. An 11 year old might find himself lingering in the record section of Western Auto just a little longer than required to pick out an album :whistle:

Looking back though, the music was really very, very good (in it's own way). A few fun, but unimportant facts about Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass (that I didn't know until just now, thanks to wiki):
Originally the Tijuana Brass was just Alpert overdubbing his own trumpet, slightly out of sync. The title cut reached #6 on the Billboard Pop Singles Chart. This was A&M's first album (the original number was 101), although it was recorded at Conway Records.

By the end of 1964, because of a growing demand for live appearances by the Tijuana Brass, Alpert auditioned and hired a team of crack session men. No one in Alpert's band was actually Hispanic. Alpert used to tell his audiences that his group consisted of "Three lasagnas, two bagels, and an American cheese"

More details on the cover shot here:

Dolores Erickson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The photo shoot was done in one afternoon with Erickson covered with shaving cream with a dollop of whipped cream on her head.
there's more.

-ERD50

I'd guess what the others said about ultra vs reg pasteurization...

Aside from that, this thread reminds me of how special this board is...!

Wow ! You guys are kinky and health conscious ! But Al have you done a cost analysis of what this behavior is costing you ? Maybe you could find slightly used whipped cream on craigslist .

Moe, you crack me up.

Perfect punch line!

Maybe you could find slightly used whipped cream on craigslist .

eBay seller: Herb Alpert

If you like the old fashioned flavor of whipped cream, try to stay away from the ultra pasteurized version, it lasts a lot longer, but it has a lot less flavor in it. If you can't taste the difference between reg/ultra pasteurized, then it won't matter.

Yes, the Safeway HWC is ultra-pasteurized and the Costco cream is just pasteurized. Thanks for the info.

I haven't noticed a difference in taste, but haven't done a real test.

I'll try to get the Costco stuff to last as long as possible, since it's so much cheaper. I freeze a lot of it in ice cube trays to use in smoothies.

Aside from that, this thread reminds me of how special this board is...!

I have been regularly struck by this also. I feel like a dullard by comparison to almost all of you.

Samclem...we had that Whipped Cream Herb Alpert album. I had forgotten all about it. My father was a huge Herb Alpert fan so he bought all the albums.

I think T-Al should write a book about interesting experiments to embark upon while retired :) I've so enjoyed his scientific approach to the mundane - he makes it exciting! He could then chat with Nords on how to publish his book....

Am I the only one who thought of this:confused:

Back
Top Bottom