My DH has prostate cancer

bbbamI

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We got the call from the doctor today.

They took 12 samples; two were scored 6 on the Gleason sum and one was scored a 7.

We'll learn more about treatment options next week. They caught it early and the doctor is very optimistic. Right now I'm numb.

Any advice or words of encouragement will be appreciated.

So sorry bbbamI. I hope it goes really well for the two of you. I will be thinking of you both.

Ha

Sorry to hear this :-( but please stay positive and optimistic and everything will work out well for you and him.

We got the call from the doctor today.

They took 12 samples; two were scored 6 on the Gleason sum and one was scored a 7.

We'll learn more about treatment options next week. They caught it early and the doctor is very optimistic. Right now I'm numb.

Sorry for your troubles ! Cancer is a hard thing to face but caught early it is manageable !

I'm really sorry to hear, when you talk about samples I have no clue since I've never been tested.

Please keep us posted.

Any advice or words of encouragement will be appreciated.
I don't have personal experience with it, but catching it early makes all the difference in the world from what I've read.

And I'm sure we'll all send good thoughts and/or prayers your way.

Fight-fight-fight...

So sorry bbb. I know that it is a very slow progressing disease and there are many treatment options now available. I'll keep you and your hubby in my thoughts.

So sorry to hear that the screening was positive; I know you have a lot going on with your folks, and this was the last thing you wanted to hear.

Hang in there, and know that all of us here on E-R.org are hoping for the best possible outcome and praying for both of you.

And give DH a big 'ole hug from all of us. :flowers:

I am sorry to hear about this.

Does the above mean that 9 out of the 12 samples were clear? I know next to nothing about medicine, but doesn't that sound good?

Sorry to hear this news, but early detection is critical. Will keep you in my thoughts.

bbbami...words escape me...I am so sorry to hear this news. Love you babe. Keep the faith.

Purron

Sorry about the tough news.

On the positive note, several men of various ages who w*rked for me had the diagnosis, all had successful treatments. So far all are well past the 10 year mark since diagnosis.

I sorry to hear that, but I'm glad they found it early.
Sending the two of you positive thoughts from across the Atlantic.

Oh! BBB, I am so sorry. However...

Let me Google that for you:

"postate cancer" +"survival rate" - Google Search

Overall Prostate Cancer Survival Rates

Survival rates can be calculated by different methods for different purposes. The survival rates presented here are based on the relative survival rate. The relative survival rate measures the survival of prostate cancer patients in comparison to the general population to estimate the effect of cancer. The overall 5-year relative prostate cancer survival rate for 1995-2002 was 99 percent. The 5-year relative prostate cancer survival rates by race and sex were:

• 99.9 percent for white men
  • 97.6 percent for black men.

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement through posts and PMs. Some PMs made me laugh out loud...so for quite a while now I've been weeping, laughing and blowing my nose most of the time.

DH had a gig tonight and the doc called a few minutes before he left. He decided to go to the gig...it was his decision to go and I think that was best. So my mind turned immediately to my ER family and I started this thread.

I'm so glad I did. Y'all haven't let me down. Your words do make a difference and I love you all....:flowers:

I am sorry to hear about this.

Does the above mean that 9 out of the 12 samples were clear? I know next to nothing about medicine, but doesn't that sound good?
I suppose I feel a bit better because not all of the samples showed cancer. I'm not a doc, so I don't know if this makes a difference or not.

I guess the fact is...he has cancer and we're going to have to deal with it.

With all I've been through this year, I think I'm gonna have to up my bowls of Cheerios. :)

I suppose I feel a bit better because not all of the samples showed cancer. I'm not a doc, so I don't know if this makes a difference or not.

I guess the fact is...he has cancer and we're going to have to deal with it.

With all I've been through this year, I think I'm gonna have to up my bowls of Cheerios. :)

You've definitely deserve some Baileys in those Cheerios...:D

BBBami, so sorry to hear it. Hang in there. Presumably Rich or another doc can chime in, but early detected prostate cancer is apparently very treatable with high rates of success.

Sorry to hear the news but, as others have said, prostate cancer is a slow developing cancer and they have very good treatment regimens for it. Success rates are high especially when caught early. I've even seen reports where they say we spend too much money screening for it. Say most men will pass due to old age as opposed to the prostate cancer.

I've had the samples taken and that wasn't a pleasant experience at all. Developed an infection in the plumbing from the test too. That was very unpleasant but the test itself came back negative.

Wish your DH and you the best and I believe you'll be somewhat relieved as you learn more.

Sorry to hear that your DH has cancer, however I am glad that they have caught it early which gives him a good chance of beating the darn disease. Hope you are soon updating us with good news.

Sorry to hear this. Best wishes, and hang in there.

DH had a gig tonight and the doc called a few minutes before he left. He decided to go to the gig...
Cool that he is just carrying on . . . ;)

He's got the best darn DW any dude could hope for! That fur sure will help him get better. Love you bbbamI. I know you both love music - I do too - so often the best way to communicate what you're feeling...You both will be on my mind.

YouTube - Willie Nelson - Always On My Mind

Damn, so sorry to hear this news. Let me know, privately or otherwise, what I can do to help.

It is true that most prostate cancers that are localized can be cured or controlled for a full life expectancy. I know it will be rough at times until you get past this, but my intuition tells me it will work out fine. My heart is with you both.

So sorry to hear this, B. The men I know who have gone through what your husband faces have had remarkable results with different types of treatment and I'll say a little prayer that you will be able to say the same about your dh's results soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom