Planning to take a long cross country drive next month

brodericknemeth

Confused about dryer sheets
We're planning to take a long cross country drive next month and visit all our friends and relatives along the way. I will be sending my car to the garage for a complete maintenance check prior to starting. Do we need to add anything to our auto insurance policy? We currently have a liability/ comprehensive/ collision insurance on our car. Am I right in assuming that my car would be covered for any damages outside AZ as well, or is this something I need to confirm from the car insurance company?

We're planning to take a long cross country drive next month and visit all our friends and relatives along the way. I will be sending my car to the garage for a complete maintenance check prior to starting. Do we need to add anything to our auto insurance policy? We currently have a liability/ comprehensive/ collision insurance on our car. Am I right in assuming that my car would be covered for any damages outside AZ as well, or is this something I need to confirm from the car insurance company?

Welcome to the forum. Interesting first post.:whistle:

Welcome but I think you have the wrong forum. Maybe try the AAA forum.

Welcome but I think you have the wrong forum. Maybe try the AAA forum.

sounds like a legitimate question in the travel section

but I am new here and I don't know the culture here

is it normal to send new people elsewhere (AAA forum?) or blow bubbles when they are seeking this kind of information?

alternatively, why not just let the thread die?

just wondering about how people get treated here so I can decide whether I want to stay and participate

is it normal to send new people elsewhere (AAA forum?) or blow bubbles when they are seeking this kind of information?

just wondering about how people get treated here so I can decide whether I want to stay and participate

Yikes! I quite agree. I am, also, (relatively) new here and I haven't seen this kind of censorship before. On the other hand, I have had my struggles with understanding the subleties of this Forum so am probably way off-base again.

Anyway, I have never heard of Auto Insurance being confined to a single state... at least, not without being specific to that coverage. But if I was concerned about it, I would, definitely, ask the agent/agency that sold me the policy.

In any event, I am curious to know if this is a real concern or not... both issues.

Probably not enough replies here yet to judge the reception. This is certainly not the "Millionaire Mommy Next Door".

*Maybe* OP should have called their agent, or started out their first post by saying "I just FIREd, and am taking a trip." :) And maybe somebody's Spidey sense is going off. Too early to tell, IMHO.

Probably not enough replies here yet to judge the reception. This is certainly not the "Millionaire Mommy Next Door".

*Maybe* OP should have called their agent, or started out their first post by saying "I just FIREd, and am taking a trip." :) And maybe somebody's Spidey sense is going off. Too early to tell, IMHO.

if that smug smiley in your post represents the culture of this forum, it says a lot (I sense a lot of effort here being put forth to get some kind of pleasure from being disrespectful)

since I am new, I will give this place a little more time to see if it warrants my trouble or time

I'll give this place a little more time to see if it warrants my trouble or time

For sure, perseverance is required. IIRC, it took about a hundred posts before I was, uh... either ignored or tolerated -- still not sure which. (I didn't even, for example, know what a Troll was until, after the third accusation, I looked it up.)

In any event, this place is very special and (IMHO) worth the effort needed to enjoy a long-term relationship. Don't give up without a fight.

For sure, perseverance is required. IIRC, it took about a hundred posts before I was, uh... either ignored or tolerated -- still not sure which. (I didn't even, for example, know what a Troll was until, after the third accusation, I looked it up.)

In any event, this place is very special and (IMHO) worth the effort needed to enjoy a long-term relationship. Don't give up without a fight.

thanks for the words of encouragement
I am not new to internet forums (just this site)
and I won't be swayed by individual bullies
but I am looking to see what the overall tone is here
I won't tolerate a culture of arrogance or disrespect
if people tend to be kind and respectful, then I might stick around

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your road trip.

Since you are driving your personal car, my first take is it would be covered under your auto policy.

I've seen rental car policies limit where you can drive and limit coverage, especially to Mexico, but that's published in the rental agreement.

Just to be safe, call your agent. If you're retired, mention that you'll be only pleasure driving and your overall annual mileage should reduce (if that is truly the case) and see if a discount is available.

On a side note, if you don't have auto club membership like AAA, before your trip, you might want to investigate that service via your auto insurance, cell phone carrier, etc. You can always cancel after your trip.

Side note - check your cell phone coverage and minutes package too. Also, check out restaurant.com for dining coupons. They run promotions regularly for 80% off face value. YMMV.

I won't tolerate a culture of arrogance or disrespect
if people tend to be kind and respectful, then I might stick around

Oh! I didn't mean to imply there was any arrogance and/or disrepect in the Forum's treatment of me. That is, certainly, not the case. Suspicion of strangers is a more apropo description. Most (close to all) of the members are both kind and respectful (unless blatently provoked) -- in my experience.

if that smug smiley in your post represents the culture of this forum, it says a lot (I sense a lot of effort here being put forth to get some kind of pleasure from being disrespectful)

since I am new, I will give this place a little more time to see if it warrants my trouble or time

Sometimes a would-be spammer is preceded by a shill, who ingratiates himself with a few innocuous posts and then helps out the spammer when he arrives.

And sometimes appearances are just deceiving. We'l find out within a few days, I imagine.

Apologies - the smiley was not meant to be smug. I thought I was covering both "sides" (if there were two, which I'm not even sure of) and trying to keep it light with a "regular" smile.

Sometimes a would-be spammer is preceded by a shill, who ingratiates himself with a few innocuous posts and then helps out the spammer when he arrives.

And sometimes appearances are just deceiving. We'l find out within a few days, I imagine.

OP's question was about traveling with his car in other states. The answer to his question might seem obvious to a lot of people or misplaced in this forum. But I don't think he deserved any disrespect and I hardly find him to be a shill.

I am often surprised when people take so much time to respond in a non-responsive way. First impressions can be deceiving, so I guess I'll find out more about this forum in few days, I imagine.

Welcome to the site.

I would give your agent a call but I doubt there will be any problems. If you leave the country you'll definitely need to let them know. When we drove into Canada earlier this year I called a few weeks ahead of time and they sent me an extra insurance card, at no cost, specifically for Canada.

This question has never even occurred to me and I drive all over the country.
Sure, you should be covered.

For some more details: Will My Auto Insurance Cover Me If I'm in an Accident Out of State?

Out of the country is a different issue.

On a side note, if you don't have auto club membership like AAA, before your trip, you might want to investigate that service via your auto insurance, cell phone carrier, etc. You can always cancel after your trip.

Side note - check your cell phone coverage and minutes package too. Also, check out restaurant.com for dining coupons. They run promotions regularly for 80% off face value. YMMV.
Both excellent ideas for a long cross country trip along with installing "Yelp.com" on your phone if you can. It can help you find a lot of services in an unfamiliar area.

Most, if not all car policies cover the CAR, not the state the car is in.

It would also be a good idea to understand how your medical plan works when you are out of your "home" area.

Interesting that there have been no follow-up posts from the OP...

Maybe it is a legitimate question and maybe not. I would think that the OP would tell us a little bit about themselves and maybe ask a question like this after that.

I find it a little strange that someone would come onto a retirement forum and the first post ask a travel question.

Back
Top Bottom