Basic tax question

utrecht

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've got so many spreadsheets projecting things for retirement (4 years away) that I need a spreadsheet to keep track of them all.

I have a projected income and budget spreadsheet and I just ran all the numbers through Turbo Tax as if I had just completed my first year of retirement. It seems I greatly overestimated the tax I will owe.:dance:

Can someone confirm this is correct?

1) Withdrawals from 401k and 457b, I pay tax as if it is regular income.
2) Withdrawals from Taxable accounts I pay tax on the capital gains.
3) Withdrawals from Roth IRA, I pay no tax?
4) Dividends on Taxable accounts I pay tax on but not on dividends within a 401k or 457b.

I think my problem came in that I projected paying tax on the entire amount on withdrawals from my Taxable accounts...not just the capital gains from those sales.

Did you try using TaxCaster? It does an excellent job in an easy way, so less hassle than full-blown TurboTax and less chance of making a mistake.

1. Yes.
2. Yes, but the cap gains could be a small fraction of your withdrawal. You could even have a loss and/or the gain could be offset by carryover losses.
3. Correct, unless you mess up and don't follow the rules.
4. Dividends have 2 tax rates: qualified (as low as 0%) and non-qualified. Try to make sure all your dividends are qualified especially if you are in a high tax bracket.

5. Don't forget the foreign tax credit.

Back
Top Bottom