Secrets of the Food Trade

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
You’re Not Allergic to MSG and 6 More Culinary Secrets

"What do all these have in common?" Chef Wendy asks. "Broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes, inosinate, guanylate, and autolyzed yeast extract? Give up? They are all sources of monosodium glutamate. So don't bother telling me you're allergic to MSG if you eat pizza."

In the rush toward whole foods and away from chemical wonders, Chef Wendy says, consumers get paranoid about some ingredients that "are not dangerous and in fact are quite natural. One of my faves is carrageenan. Carrageenan is on a lot of labels, and I'm often asked, 'What is that chemical?' It's not a chemical. It's seaweed!

Who made that microwave burrito you're eating? ... If the product has meat, poultry, or eggs in it, by law it must have an establishment number or name somewhere on the label. It may read something like "Meat Products of Houston, Inc." boldly on the back, or it could be a tiny number hidden somewhere on an inner flap. Whichever it is, you can look it up at the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service website and find the producer's name and other information.

Chef Wendy says it's absolutely possible to make a frozen meal that will knock you out of your chair with greatness. "But that entrée needs to cost $7 to $10. People are willing to spend that much in a restaurant for something mediocre but not for something fabulous from the grocery store."

It's nice to see Secret #5 about Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I'm a Trader Joe's fan and now here's a good 'secret' about them.

It's nice to see Secret #5 about Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I'm a Trader Joe's fan and now here's a good 'secret' about them.
Trader Joe's is opening 2 stores near me in the next year - these are their first stores in my area. I'm looking forward to it... and the "secret #5" info just adds to it. Whole Foods is just sooooo expensive for most things.

Trader Joe's is opening 2 stores near me in the next year - these are their first stores in my area. I'm looking forward to it... and the "secret #5" info just adds to it. Whole Foods is just sooooo expensive for most things.

Trader Joe just opened a store here. Yeah....finally. Love that store!

Back
Top Bottom