IRA 2011: What did or will you buy?

Mill

Recycles dryer sheets
What did you or will you buy for your 2011 Roth or Traditional IRA contribution? I needed international stocks so I went with VGTSX. :greetings10:

Osfdx?

I am thinking about buying OSFDX. DOes anyone have this or thought about putting in IRA?

I needed small cap index so put it all into Vanguard small cap index.

I am researching African equities for my emerging market funds. BRIC is overheated, and Africa is getting good growth and return from "Economist". I am overweight in USA stock.

I also am looking at REITs. Long's cycle indicates that we are in an 18 year low in real estate.
Either one would improve my allocation diversity.

More of the same: Vanguard Target Retirement Income in my 457 plan by payroll deduction (every 2 weeks), and Vanguard Inflation Protected Securities in my Roth on automatic purchase once a month. I did this most of last year and my AA stayed close to my targets, but this year I have eliminated my over-50 catchup contributions, so I may need to adjust what I buy later in the year to stay on the beam. It's also possible the custodian for the 457 plan will be changing, and if so, there may be some new options that would cause me to re-shuffle this.

Heck... I just moved money from my Hi Yield taxable account to my Hi Yield ROTH account... you know... keep the income account in ROTH....

Had a small cap gain to deal with.. but did not change allocation....

I will contribute the full amount to my Roth in VWINX.

Our Roth IRA's are and will be in Vanguard's VTXVX (2015 Target Retirement Fund).

Doing the usual: looking at the asset classes which are currently underrepresented relative to my proposed AA, and buying those to restore balance. What that will be in 2011, I have no clue; if I did I could make a killing knowing which would rise and which would fall.

To keep it simple and not deal with $416.66 a month, I fund our Roths at $600 in January and $400/mo in the other 11 months, so every month or two I'll look at the current AA and use the new cash to rebalance accordingly.

Ziggy, thanks for solving my monthly IRA deduction problem for me. I probably could have figured it out, given enough time....:whistle:

I'm simplifying our AA considerably, since, let's be honest, I'm not keeping up with rebalancing the mix we've got because I find it annoying. Our new AA will be 25% bonds (Vanguard Total Bond Index); 35% Vanguard Total Market Index; 25% Vanguard Small Cap Index; 15% Vanguard International Index. For now (until I change my mind again, that is).

We'll max out our 401k and IRAs this year, but our main investment strategy beyond that will be to bury our HELOC. So looking forward to the party we're going to throw when that sucker is gone.

I'll probably split it between the Dow Dividend ETF (DVY) and the MSCI EAFE ETF (EFV).

I've learned not to do anything until I get the 1099s and finish Schedule C. Then I'll know how much is left to contribute...

Back
Top Bottom