Mike Piper's "Can I Retire?" Book

jdmorton

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone read this book? I got a Kindle for Christmas and this was the first book I downloaded to it (well, that is besides a sample of "The Histories by Herodotus" :)). Anyway, now that I have reached one of the milestones for my company's pension plan - 55 years of age and at least 10 years of continuous employment - I am now starting to investigate how to invest in retirement.

I thought the book was a good overview of evaluating your finances for retiring and then how to invest when you retire. But what I really found interesting was his recommendations on how to withdraw the money saved for retirement that you might have in various savings accounts (for me, that is my 401(k)) - especially the tax implications. While one might question/disagree/debate some of his recommendations (like the use of SPIAs and seeking help from professionals), I thought he did a good job of laying out the pros and cons of their use.

Perhaps the most benefit I derived from the book (besides how short it is - 100 pages) was now I have a better understanding of what it will take to retire, and the areas I need to learn more about. In fact, after finishing this book I immediately downloaded "The Boogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning" to my Kindle - one of the books Piper recommends for further insight into this subject.

I also downloaded Jim Otar's book "Unveiling the Retirement Myth" when it was available for free earlier this year. I just need to see if I can now load it onto my Kindle from my PC.

Has anyone read this book?
I did, and I found it a good, basic primer for anybody who has never asked themselves the question.

While DW eyes go up whenever I talk about retirement finances, I had her read the first few chapters and she found it interesting (which for her, is saying a lot :cool: ).

I can't comment on Chapter 12, since we don't have taxable retirement investments. I'll leave that to somebody else...

I have not read the Mike Piper book, but I just wanted to say that the other two you mentioned are both five stars. I also did the free download of the Otar book and it was so solid that I decided to splurge for the real copy (expensive by most book standards). I've read 4-5 books specifically on retirement planning, and Otars I rate #1, Bogleheads guide to retirement #2. Enjoy them!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom