Looking for good free CD/DVD burning software for Windows 7

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I got a netbook that uses Windows 7 (starter edition). I'm looking for a good free CD/DVD burning software that works with Win 7.

On my XP machine, I use Nero 6 (yes, still version 6 as later versions seem bloated). But Nero 6 is not compatible with Win 7.

I'm looking mainly to write data to discs, create ISO images from disc, write ISO images to disc.

I've so far found a program called CDBurnerXP that does the job, but are there other good ones I should consider? thx

Not sure why Nero 6 doesn't work on Win 7. I'm still using Nero 6.3.1.12 on my win 7 desktop. What problems are you having? I've been successful using it on over 50-100 burns already.

Win 7 can burn data to CDs and DVDs. I do it all the time from within File Mgr. I'm not sure about ISO images.

I also have a Win 7 laptop, but I haven't loaded Nero 6 on it to burn. I have the desktop setup for dvd burning. Let me know if you need to me to try this.

I also have a Win 7 laptop, but I haven't loaded Nero 6 on it to burn. I have the desktop setup for dvd burning. Let me know if you need to me to try this.

Thanks. I actually haven't tried Nero 6 on Win 7. From what I've read it doesn't work:

Will Nero 6.6 run in Windows 7? - Windows 7 Forums

I'm still waiting for an external cd/dvd burner as my netbook doesn't have one built-in.

Thanks. I actually haven't tried Nero 6 on Win 7. From what I've read it doesn't work:

Will Nero 6.6 run in Windows 7? - Windows 7 Forums

I'm still waiting for an external cd/dvd burner as my netbook doesn't have one built-in.

You do get a some kind of warning about this version having issues on the install, but so far I haven't had any problems burning dvds or cds yet, other than the occasional failure. I think these are from the blanks that I'm using, had the same issues on Win XP too.

You do get a some kind of warning about this version having issues on the install, but so far I haven't had any problems burning dvds or cds yet, other than the occasional failure. I think these are from the blanks that I'm using, had the same issues on Win XP too.

That's good to know. Thanks.

I realized that with hard drives being on the cheap and flashdrives having more room for the price, I really don't burn data to disc that much anymore. But I still do ocassionally. If I buy/download an application, I still may want a disc copy.

Also, if I do system recovery, I'm still familiar with booting from a boot CD.

I use more than one, because I haven't found one with all the features I want for free:

Alcohol 52%: Makes ISO (and other format) images and can mount them as virtual CD/DVDs. Not feature heavy but I keep it around because it can mount images of copy protected disks well enough that the program is fooled. The free version is hard to find on their site (naturally) --- here's a direct link: Alcohol 52% Free Edition

UltraISO: Extract/create/edit/convert CD and DVD image files. Can also mount them to a virtual drive. You can also drag and drop files into its interface and create an ISO image directly from these. Can burn, but its burning capabilities are limited.

Ashampoo Burning Studio 6: Ashampoo® Burning Studio 6 Free - Overview - best all around burning software I've found for free, including Blu-ray. Also handles backups to CD/DVD/Blu-ray.

I've used Corel, Nero and a few other paid versions in the past... haven't found a compelling reason to buy them with so many good freebies out there.

Thanks for all the suggestions...

I'm still waiting for my CD/DVR burner to arrive in the mail. I ordered this one..
Lite-On ETAU208-96 Slim External DVD Writer - 8X DVD+R, 8X DVD-R, 6X DVD+R9 , 6X DVD-R9, 8X DVD+RW, 6X DVD-RW, Lightscribe, Black at TigerDirect.com, plus a netbook case (that arrived today).

The basic, lowest rate shipping is silly from a customer's perspective. The package initially ships UPS, but is dropped off to the local post office of the destination town, then gets delivered by the post office the next day. I'm sure it saves the company money, and more convenient for them, as they probably "dump off" lots of packages to the post office at once. But for the customer, it's an extra day of waiting.

The burner should arrive tomorrow. Then I can play around to see what "freebie" burner program I like most. Also, it's good to know Nero 6 still installs if I want to stay with that one.

Win7 can burn ISO's...just right-click them.

I haven't yet needed a 3rd-party disc writer on Win7, partially from built-in support and partially because I rarely have the need anymore.

I've been working on setting up my used netbook the pat couple of days. Haven't decided about the CD software. Got my external burner. The bad I realized, putting a disc in/out get the cover filled with fingerprints.

Well, I had a duh moment. Been trying to get HD imaging software to work with the netbook. For some reason the system wasn't recognizing my external HD. Scoured the internet looking for a solution. Finally, what the heck..changed the USB cable..and that seems to work. All that time squinting at the small screen. :mad: Oh well..

Windows Media Player will Rip/Burn CDs and DVDs, I assume it comes with Windows 7

You can get Ashampoo Burning Studio software, full license (I think this is the old version) once you register w/email address here: Your personal Ashampoo® gift enter this code ASH-3BGO

Once you download the software, you can upgrade to full license version by supplying an email address. There's a few other items to download if you want too. I decided to give this a try and the Photo Commander software. I've never used Burning Studio before (had it as a backup), kept using Nero instead but the price is right...FREE!

Thanks for that Dimsumkid. That free version is the 2010 version, which is better than the 6.x Free version I've been using!

Note about other posts here, yeah Windows can burn discs, and Media Player can rip, but they are limited. :(

I will bet that Nero comes with your new drive. I bought a tiny little Samsung DVD r/w (on Amazon, of all places) to go with my Samsung netbook, and it did.

I got a copy of Nero 9 Essentials with the drive. Haven't tried it yet. From what I've read (reviews of the drive on Tigerdirect), they may only be a trial version. As for Nero, I've been happy with version 6 -- seems any later has been bloated, IMO.

What I've been looking for is a place to buy some lightscribe CDs, but can't find any nearby. Or I can just wait til I get home (out of town now) as I have plenty there.

Thanks for that Dimsumkid. That free version is the 2010 version, which is better than the 6.x Free version I've been using!

Note about other posts here, yeah Windows can burn discs, and Media Player can rip, but they are limited. :(

Glad I can help, we're pretty much in the same situation, using really old version 6 of Nero. I don't think Nero gives you any full version included with hardware anymore. That's why I'm still on vers. 6 (last full vers I know that was included),

Back
Top Bottom