Po'Boys, anyone?

I'm right there at the training table with you, RiT...:LOL:

mmmm...

(Maybe W2R will fedex us some?)

How to transform a vegetarian.

If the French Quarter didn't have Mudbugs, and muffalettas, I could eat at Johnny's Po-Boy's everyday.

They HAVE to have fried ersters with thin-sliced tomatoes and shredded lettuce (mebbe a little shredded cabbage) and a little mayonnaise. And a touch of Tabasco.

Roast beef po-boys? From N'yawk, mebbe. Sounded more like a Philly Cheesesteak sammich to me. (No sin, just don't call it a po-boy. Where's my gun?)

It's hard enough to stick to my diet (that just started last week) without seeing this stuff!!!!!

Nope, you guys don't get any! I'm saving them all for myself.

I've lost 16 pounds so far this year, so I'll save them all a bit longer...

Attachments

• poboy.jpg
    poboy.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
For the vegetarians. Beignets at the Cafe du Monde.

Better at Morning Call, another old time New Orleans beignet-and-coffee shrine, and you can add all the powdered sugar you want right at the table at Morning Call. :D But here's a photo of Cafe du Monde in case you are feeling nostalgic, along with Morning Call:

Attachments

• CafeDuMonde2.jpg
    CafeDuMonde2.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Morning Call.jpg
    Morning Call.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

Cafe du Monde is too touristy for me. I prefer Cafe Beignet, a little bit west of Jackson Square.

By far, fhe best po'boy that I've had is from Rocky & Carlo's, off the beaten' path, in Chalmette. Don't forget to get a side of mac'n'cheese, it is very different than anywhere else you've ever had it. Good God, it's tasty!

I adore oyster po'boys with lots of Tabasco sauce. My close friend at work is originally from Louisiana and she makes killer pralines around the holidays.

The young wife loves a Po'boy. I personally prefer my oysters on the half shell. Big, fat Blue Point oysters from Long Island Sound. (My town has the most extensive oyster beds in Connecticut).

I put on a lot of weight in NO & Red Stick. Good times!

A warning to all those who crave da crawfish and are tempted by the frozen caught-in-China brands because you can't find the ones from LA--don't bother. They are awful. Considered to be expensive cat food. Get good shrimp instead.

If you're practicing LBYM, then you better wait on the Crawfish for now. They are selling at $3.89/lb. cooked around my house. I'll pass for now, although I won't be able to hold out forever.:whistle:

Had some great alligator appetizers at Ralph and Kacoo's in NO last Sept. NO was the beginning of my now 29 lb gain.

Spending 10 days in New Orleans in a couple of weeks. Any insider tips are greatly appreciated. :)

Is this Shrimp Po'Boy recipe anywhere near "authentic" ? :cool:
I've got 2 lbs of large frozen shrimp that are screaming for a new way to be cooked.
Shrimp Po' Boys Recipe - Allrecipes.com
I will use this as the Creole Seasoning
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda...7855_RECIPE-PRINT-FULL-PAGE-FORMATTER,00.html

I know I can't get the authentic Po'Boy bread, but I just may make some homemade French bread myself.

Scroll down past the photos for the recipe
Po-Boy Victory! | The Fresh Loaf

[-]What is AP flour ?[/-] I am SO embarassed. :blush: AP = All Purpose.

Spending 10 days in New Orleans in a couple of weeks. Any insider tips are greatly appreciated. :)

I am not an insider and have only been To new Orleans twice but the last time I went we took the bar tour and it was great . They really get into the history of the places and then you have the signature drink . We also loved loved "Pat O 'Brian"s " dueling pianos .

I was in NO a year ago and definitely recommend the bar tour. In fact we got to know many of the bartenders and kept going back to some of the same places for the remainder of the trip. We really liked the Hurricane's at Lafitte's Blackshop. For food recommendations, my must have's would be the BBQ Shrimp at Mr. B's Bistro and the fried chicken at Coop's Place. Two of the best meals I've had in a long time.

Have Fun!

Back
Top Bottom