Early Retirement For Distressed Teachers

Teacher52

Confused about dryer sheets
Dear Forum,

Hello to All from Teacher52!

I am a teacher 52-year old and I have worked just 16 years. Unfortunately, I have a pelvic tumor and feel very distressed. After, a second doctor opinion, the solution is a $30,000 surgery even with health insurance.

I would appreciate your kind insight about how to retire at 52 this year of 2011. I have a plain retirement accoun without ERA, 401 or other asset. As school districts budget cuts are obligating them to resource to less-experienced teachers to pay less, I see signs that I will get lay-off.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom,

Teacher52

Without knowing more details of your pension plan, it is difficult to suggest an approach to retirement.

Best of luck with the medical issue and in staying employed. These are difficult times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you be retiring because you physically would not be able to continue working? In that case, can you go on short or long-term disability pay instead of retiring?

I think the smart thing to do is to go on sick leave and get the operation done.

If you're still thinking of early retirement - check your benefits first. In some states, teachers need at least 25 years of work to get free health insurance during retirement. Otherwise you'll need to pay the full premium yourself.

I don't know what a pelvic tumor is, exactly. I was treated for rectal cancer 5 years ago, which I suppose would count as "pelvic", and my payments beyond what insurance paid, for surgery/hospital/radiation/chemo were much less than $30,000 --- more like $6,000. I was a college teacher then, before I retired, and I found it possible to avoid missing work, except for a few days in the hospital right after the surgery which excised the tumor. Since you've had a second opinion, I suppose you have a good estimate of costs and the disability you can expect, but all the same, if you want to compare notes with other cancer patients about their experiences and costs, I'll suggest inquiring on the ACS's Cancer Survivors Network, Cancer Survivors Network. And, more specifically, in case you have a colorectal cancer, look in at Colorectal Cancer | Cancer Survivors Network or The Colon Club • View forum - Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum.

Back
Top Bottom