Second Home in Florida Insurance Cost / Help!

techboomie

Confused about dryer sheets
I will be buying a second home in florida. I live in CA. Will be living in the home probably one month per year. I was quoted $1100 with $2500 deductible for home insurance for a 2700sqt house. I was wondering what insurance companies do people use for second homes in florida. Can you get a cheaper rate?

That sounds too cheap to me. Does it cover wind damage, specifically hurricanes?

It really depends on where your house is located and The year it was built . $1100 is a pretty good rate for Homeowners in Florida . A lot of insurance companies have pulled out so it's pretty hard to get anything lower than that price .

$1100 per year with $2.5 deductible for full coverage on a 2700sq ft home seems inexpensive.

My father-in-law has a home in Citrus County, 1200 sq ft and pay over $1,000 per year with a $2.5 deductible. That's with a discount with auto policy and no claim history. The carrier is Liberty Mutual I believe.

Last edited:
We have a 1,500 square foot condo, on a barrier island but not in a flood-rated zone, with $3K wind deductible and this year paid $1200.00 to insure it. Company is Universal Property & Casualty. I was told most of the big name insurers won't write on the barrier islands.

Amethyst

$1100 per year with $2.5 deductible for full coverage on a 2700sq ft home seems inexpensive.

My father-in-law has a home in Citrus Country, 1200 sq ft and pay over 1,000 per year with a $2.5 deductible. That's with a discount with auto policy and no claim history.

Can't help w/insurance co., but be certain to check the details of leaving a house unoccupied for more than 30 days. Many ins. cos. have exclusions on properties that are left unoccupied. Got into this on a couple of occasions where I lived in one house and was selling another. I had to be prepared to go sleep in the unoccupied house at least one night per month (sold before then, thankfully). YMMV.

Our house is 15 miles inland from the gulf waters and not in a flood zone. 2050 sq ft. Insurance cost us $1800 this year and I'm shopping but don't expect to find anything for a lot less. You need to know if policy includes sink hole coverage and the deductibles. Check into a wind mitigation study that might save you some money on the hurricane premium portion. Off the top of my head, your policy premium is really low. Hard to say without knowing location and other particulars.

Back
Top Bottom