Soon ... Very Soon

Traxless

Confused about dryer sheets
I have followed this forum off and on for many years and just recently registered. We plan on retiring in December 2011 and I will be 65 1/2 years old. My DW is two (2) years younger. We have 3 adult children who manage life about as well as any and perhaps better than I did.

According to the FIRECalc, we are going to do fine with our social security benefits and retirement accounts that took more than 40 years to establish. As children of parents who experienced the Great Depression, my DW and I know how to live poor. We continue to be thoughtful about large purchases and for the most part live life on the simpler side of the ledger. Our only debt is a $60K mortgage for a new house, which we intend to pay off within 20 months.

I'm no longer worry what I'll do in retirement because I have finally decided that the "retirement trip" is about new opportunities if I keep my eyes and ears open.

The options for Medicare have given me a royal headache and continue to troublesome. Both of us are in good health and decent shape. For example, our medications consist of a daily multi-vitamin and an aspirin. So I have been studying and reading about Medicare for the better of three (3) months. No decisions at this point.

I finally took some time to read about Required Minimum Distribution and decided rather quickly that I don't like it. So I have a few years to sort that out.

I am tired after 40 years of social work, which is a profession I don't recommend to the younger generation. I wonder how many retirement years it will take for me to reach psychological balance after all that time.

I plan to regularly visit this forum and benefit from those who have gone before me. As I get stuck, I'd like to ask for help. Finally, please excuse any grammar or typing errors, my fingers don't have eyes.

And there you go.

Welcome to the boards! A lot of good help (not from me :) )available here in many areas so ask away.

Great that your daily medications are so minimal. And I hope you get over that tiredness from 40 years of social work pretty quickly once you retire in December.

Welcome to the forum, I to have been working for about 40 years since I was 12, never been unemployed, but I had many different jobs from pumping gas before self service, dishwasher (still doing this one), jet engine mechanic, flight engineer, and IT person.
I have about ~1 year, 11 months, 21 days, 3 hours, 48 minutes, and 45 seconds (countdown clock) until FIREd looking forward to that date!!:greetings10::greetings10:

Welcome. All those years of social work should provide skills to help counsel yourself though your Medicare choices. When you finish you should post your analysis here.

Welcome to the board. My mom was a clinical social worker in LA county in the 60s and 70s, I know it took a lot out of her even though she wasn't doing casework all that time. I'm sure you've seen a lot. I guess cops tend to see the "acute" bad and rough side of things, social workers tend to see the chronic problems go on for years.

Again, welcome.

I am tired after 40 years of social work, which is a profession I don't recommend to the younger generation. I wonder how many retirement years it will take for me to reach psychological balance after all that time.

If 29 years of police work is a guide, figure about five years. It's all good though. YMMV.:whistle:

Welcome!

Welcome! I am in the social work type field too, for 27 years now. I envy you, as I have about 3 more years and the work, while worthwhile, just wears your soul out sometimes. Enjoy your last days as you head to retirement!

Back
Top Bottom