Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Other topics (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/)
-   -   Looking for advice on Medicare Part D (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/looking-for-advice-on-medicare-part-d-55423.html)

Aiming_4_55 03-29-2011 12:22 PM

Looking for advice on Medicare Part D

Well, my mom is finally reaching the age that she can qualify for Medicare.

I think I'm good with medigap coverage for Part A & B. We selected a BCBSIL plan that will meet her needs. Since she had BCBSIL individual plan, she wanted to stay with them.

BCBSIL has a Part D plan, but the monthly premium is about $30 a month. At the current moment she is not on any prescription drugs, but I can see her needing that in the future.

I understand she can elect not to enroll into Part D, but future premiums might be higher if she does not enroll at 65.

I thought I saw in previous years a basic Part D program with zero premiums, but don't see that now.

I looked at medicare.gov, but still uncertain.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. She is located in Cook County - Chicago, IL area, but travel to MN regularly. I envision her filling most of her prescriptions at a Walgreens in the future.

rescueme 03-29-2011 12:28 PM

My (disabled) son has a Medicare Advantage Plan (look it up) which also contains coverage for Part D (drug) in one plan/preimum, along with Medigap coverage, that covers the part B requiement.

I understand that if you have to get a separate plan for part D, it can be a challange. I can't speak for that situation, but I'm just offering what we have done over the last few years....

While it's unusual (since he's disabled) his monthly preimum is $4.70/mo for both part B & part D. As I understand it, some advantage plans charge nothing for their coverage. You will have to research it, depending on the offerings of your state of residence.

Good luck....

Aiming_4_55 03-29-2011 03:21 PM

Thanks Rescue. BCBSIL did not offer a MA type plan, so I'm stuck looking for a Part D only plan.

haha 03-29-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 (Post 1053128)
She is located in Cook County - Chicago, IL area, but travel to MN regularly. I envision her filling most of her prescriptions at a Walgreens in the future.

The plans offered and the prices are different in different states, and maybe even different counties. The cheapest I could find to be used the same way you intend to use it-mainly to keep your options open, but also to have coverage in case something does go wrong, is offered by Humana in conjunction with Walmart/ Sam's Club

Other plans may be cheaper where you are. First Health is often cheap. Also, your state insurance commissioner may have a webpage listing all plans in your state and their prices.

Ha
Find Affordable Medicare Plans with Humana Medicare

Aiming_4_55 03-29-2011 07:45 PM

Thanks Ha.

I will look at Humana/Walmart plans. I have to confirm coverage via Walgreens as my mom does not drive and a Walmart is not close. Life would of been better / easier if she spoke English and drove.