Looking for advice on Medicare Part D

Aiming_4_55

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well, my mom is finally reaching the age that she can qualify for Medicare.

I think I'm good with medigap coverage for Part A & B. We selected a BCBSIL plan that will meet her needs. Since she had BCBSIL individual plan, she wanted to stay with them.

BCBSIL has a Part D plan, but the monthly premium is about $30 a month. At the current moment she is not on any prescription drugs, but I can see her needing that in the future.

I understand she can elect not to enroll into Part D, but future premiums might be higher if she does not enroll at 65.

I thought I saw in previous years a basic Part D program with zero premiums, but don't see that now.

I looked at medicare.gov, but still uncertain.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. She is located in Cook County - Chicago, IL area, but travel to MN regularly. I envision her filling most of her prescriptions at a Walgreens in the future.

Last edited:
My (disabled) son has a Medicare Advantage Plan (look it up) which also contains coverage for Part D (drug) in one plan/preimum, along with Medigap coverage, that covers the part B requiement.

I understand that if you have to get a separate plan for part D, it can be a challange. I can't speak for that situation, but I'm just offering what we have done over the last few years....

While it's unusual (since he's disabled) his monthly preimum is $4.70/mo for both part B & part D. As I understand it, some advantage plans charge nothing for their coverage. You will have to research it, depending on the offerings of your state of residence.

Good luck....

Thanks Rescue. BCBSIL did not offer a MA type plan, so I'm stuck looking for a Part D only plan.

She is located in Cook County - Chicago, IL area, but travel to MN regularly. I envision her filling most of her prescriptions at a Walgreens in the future.
The plans offered and the prices are different in different states, and maybe even different counties. The cheapest I could find to be used the same way you intend to use it-mainly to keep your options open, but also to have coverage in case something does go wrong, is offered by Humana in conjunction with Walmart/ Sam's Club

Other plans may be cheaper where you are. First Health is often cheap. Also, your state insurance commissioner may have a webpage listing all plans in your state and their prices.

Ha
Find Affordable Medicare Plans with Humana Medicare

Thanks Ha.

I will look at Humana/Walmart plans. I have to confirm coverage via Walgreens as my mom does not drive and a Walmart is not close. Life would of been better / easier if she spoke English and drove.

Back
Top Bottom