Firefox 4.0 - love it!

walkinwood

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been using Firefox 4.0 for a little over a week and love it.

- For me, the best part is the added screen space. The status line is gone & some of the buttons are moved around/consolidated.

- App tabs are very useful for my gmail, ER.org and facebook

- They claim an improvement in speed. Can't say I have seen it, but I do not have any complaints about FF's responsiveness.

- Found this hack which gives you one more line of screen space. Great for those of us on small screen notebooks.
Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done
Read the "Move Tabs up to save vertical space" hack.

- I like the new bookmarks that can be sync'd to an online server so you can share them between computers. Goodbye del.icio.us

- Please check that your plug-ins are compatible. del.icio.us isn't.

- I also found a great add-on called F1 from mozilla.org. It allows you to email a link directly from the site page or post the same to other social sites like FB.

Anyone else using it? Tips? Tricks? Worthwhile hacks or add-ons?

I recently swithched from IE to Firefox. So far, I'm using version 3.6.16, and like it pretty much. Guess I'll look into upgrading to the 4.0.

Haven't tried that version. But when I switched from an older version to Chrome, the response time was much better. Not having any problems now so no need to change.

Been using Firefox since it's first release, I think it was called Firebird then. Have never had any problems and have always found it faster than IE. Agree that FF 4.0 is very good, especially the added screen space.

I upgraded to FF4. After a few days use, DW didn't like it because the Google Toolbar addon didn't work right. ("Why did you install this. It doesn't work.") On the old version, after you typed in a few letters, Google would provide suggestions in the drop down that you could click on. In the new version, the suggestions aren't clickable so you have to copy and paste them into the data entry box, which kind of defeats the purpose. In any event, I reinstalled the previous version and all is well again in our house.

I upgraded to FF4. After a few days use, DW didn't like it because the Google Toolbar addon didn't work right. ("Why did you install this. It doesn't work.") On the old version, after you typed in a few letters, Google would provide suggestions in the drop down that you could click on. In the new version, the suggestions aren't clickable so you have to copy and paste them into the data entry box, which kind of defeats the purpose. In any event, I reinstalled the previous version and all is well again in our house.
I don't use the google toolbar (I never liked it) but the suggestions in the drop down work fine in the standard address bar.

I don't use the google toolbar (I never liked it) but the suggestions in the drop down work fine in the standard address bar.

You are correct, but the standard address bar search area is "too small and you can't see what you are typing." It also isn't where the Google toolbar used to be.:angel: DW doesn't like changes in technology. It was easier to just go back to the previous version. I have Chrome installed on my laptop and she really doesn't like not having a separate box to enter search info. So it goes.

I use AVG AV and ZoneAlarm firewall, both of which currently are not compatible with FF 4.0, according to a notice I got when I looked into upgrading.

- For me, the best part is the added screen space. The status line is gone......

I actually like having the status line, since it shows me the URL when I move the cursor over a link. In any case it can be removed in the earlier versions by clicking on view and unchecking the status bar.

I think Chrome, Firefox, and IE all came out with new browsers on the same day a few weeks ago. I went with IE9 because some of my banking stuff only worked with IE (may not be true anymore so I'll double check that). I had tried Chrome before and Firefox--I couldn't get old Firefox to work, and ditched Chrome because of the mentioned banking problem.

But I'm amazed at how much IE9 looks like the old Chrome. IE9 also offers more screen space w/o the bonus bars all over the place. It also works a lot faster than old IE did. Seems to me like the IE9 developers tried to incorporate the other browers' advantages.

- For me, the best part is the added screen space. The status line is gone & some of the buttons are moved around/consolidated.

This is why I switched to Chrome/Chromium a while back - Chrome is very efficient on screen space. Looks like FF is catching up.

google-chrome-screenshot.jpg

I actually like having the status line, since it shows me the URL when I move the cursor over a link.

I like how Chrome/Chromium handles this - there is no 'status line' as such, but when you mouse over a link a little line/box pops up. Best of both worlds, doesn't take up space when it isn't needed, but you still see what you need.

As far as add-ons, I use Adblock, goo.gl URL shortener, Search this site (searches terms only on the site you are in - usually works better than a sites own search), Session Manager, and Spam Blocker for Google (you can configure it to NIT return search results from those stupid sites like yahoo answers, ask,com, etc)

(edit/add) TIP: Not everyone may be aware, but hitting the F11 key will take your browser in/out of "Full Screen" mode. Try it, you'll like it!

-ERD50

Thanks for the F11 information. That is very useful for me.

To the one asked about the Google search box...it works for me I can click on the suggested links. I'm not talking about in the main window. I'm talking about in the search window.

+1 for Firefox4. I too like the F11 feature. Do not use any helper suggestion stuff.
Do use lots of Deniers, for all the "helpful" crap that would show up without hem. Adblock & Flashblock are my real friends.
coolsmiley.gif

(edit/add) TIP: Not everyone may be aware, but hitting the F11 key will take your browser in/out of "Full Screen" mode. Try it, you'll like it!
-ERD50

Thanks ERD50 - very useful trick.

I didn't know they'd released 4 yet. I just downloaded it, and so far, I'm really liking what's changed. I've always wished there was less of a header and more space for the actual websites. Nice to finally have it all. :D

After playing around a little more, I find they've switched the Open In New Tab and Open In New Window options around with right clicking. That's going to take some getting used to. And the New Tab button is almost invisible behind a lot of header background images that you can choose from.

I use Seamonkey along with FF4.0; Seamonkey can access newsgroups.

I favor Chrome and find it much faster than Firefox. I did update Firefox to version 4 but I did not notice a speed difference. So, I stay with Chrome.

I haven't used Explorer in years except to access a couple of law related sites for seminars. Those sites only work on Explorer.

There is an Add-on for Firefox and Seamonkey that enables you to switch into an IE user. It allows you to access the IE sites that would not allow other browsers. It is called User Agent Switcher. I have been using it for a couple years. It also supports Firefox 4.0, (scroll down and read the release notes).

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/user-agent-switcher/

I like the firefox privacy and security plugins.

Big brother gathers more than you realize... oh, and that's not the gubmit... but g**gle and the g**gle wanna bes!

I like the firefox privacy and security plugins.

Big brother gathers more than you realize... oh, and that's not the gubmit... but g**gle!

I was one of the very early users of g**gle.

About two years go stopped using anything g**gle, for precisely that reason. Plus the first ten or so search results were their preferred, not the most relevant. Then there were the useless links that had nothing but keywords.

-ERD50

Thanks for the F11 tip. Do you have anymore?

Back
Top Bottom