Where are the Cell Towers in Your Area? (Interactive Map)

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm testing out a Verizon network reseller (an MVNO) to see if I get good coverage in my area. MVNO's piggyback and lease cell tower space from the big boys like Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T. Some popular MVNO's are Mint Mobile, Cricket, Consumer Cellular, etc.

I'm testing US Mobile, which resells both the T-Mobile network and the Verizon network. I am using the Verizon network. I got the US Mobile SIM card and installed it in my old Pixel 2XL phone. The last couple of days I've been taking the US Mobile powered 2XL with me and comparing the connection speeds with what I get on my Verizon powered Pixel 5a. A very important distinction between these two phones is that the 2XL has 4G LTE service only, not 5G. The Pixel 5a has both 4G and 5G service. I've got the Pixel 5a set to run on 5G.

Obviously the closer you are to a cell tower the better the signal strength. For the purposes of my testing I found a very interesting interactive map that shows the location of cell towers in the U.S. The map is on the cellmapper.net site

In order for it to work for you, you have to allow cellpmapper.net access to your location. (I did not register an account, but I would guess if you register they ask for your zip code.) When I first went to the cellmapper site it asked me if I would grant it access to my location and I clicked "Allow".

How to use this map (using a PC):

1. Allow cellmapper access to your location.

2. Select the carrier network provider. On the left side of the screen there is an option "Select Provider" with a drop down menu with scores of choices. Ignore that and use the fillable field to type in your choice. If you are on Verizon network, type 311480; if you are on T-Mobile type 310260.

Select your network, i.e. 4G-LTE

Select your specific band. (I used the default setting of All Bands)

3. Zoom in on the map to narrow the area you are inspecting and to have the individual cell towers appear on the map. Clicking on the green towers shows the location of the tower and the approximate coverage area (though I wonder how accurate this is?)

4. To check areas in the immediate vicinity, click and hold down your left mouse button and move around the map.

5. To check specific out-of-your area maps find the Location Search tab. Click on it, then type in the city and state and click on Move to Current Location.

Anyway, play around with the map. I found it quite interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be handy for anyone wanting to use an independent carrier piggybacking off a national carrier. I don't even have to look, it's Verizon Verizon and more Verizon around here.

They always about rural areas having limited internet service but we pay more for cell service too.

Our towers are limited and get such heavy use that the second tier off brands companies (even the ones that use Verizon towers) can't get their signals transmitted.

Last edited:
I used something like this several years ago to find the nearest cell tower to my location. It was 10+ miles away, which explains why I couldn't usually get a good cell signal or maintain a connection... I bought a booster (indoor amp and external antenna which I pointed towards the tower) and it's been great ever since... Still no new towers in my area.

Last edited:
Not sure about the coverage area when you click on a tower. It says I have no coverage in my house (between several towers), but I know that not to be true. Maybe it just means coverage for 4 bars, or something like that.

Hehe, AT&T isn't even on their list.

There are a lot of antennas and towers atop the numerous giant skyscrapers just a couple of blocks away. I assume many of them are for TV since my OTA TV reception is outstanding. And, I assume the rest are for cell phones since we seem to get great cell phone reception here no matter what carrier.

This is one of the advantages of city life, I suppose. :)

Hehe, AT&T isn't even on their list.

It's not this, AT&T Mobility 311480?

My nearest tower listed is 3700ft, however I know there is a 5G tower within 1500ft, but it's not listed. I have 2 bars out of 5 showing and 4G LTE. I did a speedtest that was 34.28 rather disappointing, when I turn on my wifi I get 199.98, hmm, they better work on that, I'm paying for 200MBPs :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom