Comprehensive List Of Portfolio Maths

RetiredGypsy

Full time employment: Posting here.
Are there any out there? That have everything from how to calculate withdraw rates, portfolio performance based on keeping your percentage returns more accurate by incorporating deposits and withdraws, how to evaluate a stock or index or mutual fund or bond to determine if you want it, and whatever else you might want to know and don't know you want to know it because you've never heard of it before (*neophyte investor waves his hand* "Me!")?

After reading The Four Pillars of Investing and The Intelligent Investor, I find both have similar and separate maths, depending on what they diverge in talking about, but are are they all in the same textbook now?

Or even more important to this forum, is there already a thread on this buried somewhere the search function has a hard time finding?

Michael Thomsett has a book entitled The Mathematics Of Investing which is interesting as a reference but I found the complex math kind of impossible to do that way. Read the amazon reviews as it may be way too basic for you.

I think you will find that many people use Excel (a Microsoft spreadsheet) or the somewhat equivalent free product of Open Office.

While using those products you use functions that give you the answers when you give the function the numbers it needs. You can also create custom functions.

If not comfortable with this you can also set up columns of numbers and do one operation in each column until you get the answer.

This gives you basic stuff like present value, future value.

When you want to do really complicated stuff like you mentioned you can sometimes get overlays which are the formulas all worked out and you enter stuff into the spread sheet which functions like a black box initially to you and you get your answers.

Some companies sell overlays and you might get someone to share what they have worked out as well.

I have a whole bunch of separate spread sheets that do most of what I have considered so far.

Specifically the things you have asked for I don't have now, although I did do some stock judging by rating a whole bunch of different parameters once and then adding the point scores to determine what to buy.

Either you have to buy data or manually input a lot of stuff to do that, so many people use websites that allow scanning of stock by parameters then pick from the list given. IE dividend, PE < x , peg > y, float > z

Maths is British for mathematics. It's funny that there really is no word mathematic, so why should Americans call it math? :)

Maths is British for mathematics. It's funny that there really is no word mathematic, so why should Americans call it math? :)
"Math" is short for "mathematics". It's the first syllable. Why does that make less sense than "maths"? What sense does "maths" make at all? Can you think of any other abbreviation like "maths"? Like, maybe, "astros" for "astrophysics"?

Uh, not entirely sure what you are driving at, but there is an entire field of academic study (finance) which is heavily math driven. All in one book? Maybe not even all in one library.

Hmmm. Maths for mathematics, psycho for psychoanalysts, cons for congressmen. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom