Some TIPS funds include inflation in their yields

Gone4Good

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I only ever looked at Vanguard's TIPS Index and they apparently do the calculation right; so I never noticed any funny business. But according to this WSJ article, many other mutual funds annualize the last period's inflation adjustment as part of their SEC yield calculation - allowing some to report yields as high as 6%. That strikes me as misleading, dishonest and shameless.

I feel that this is not surprising. The great majority of mutual fund buyers look only at the most superficial and often misleading metrics. The fund firms are behaving rationally, by attracting the most money that they can while staying within the law.

You wouldn't believe how little some investors understand about mutual fund payouts vs.those same funds true yields.

In fact, to me the way the TIPS funds report is less misleading than the typical way that mutual funds like GABUX and many others combine actual dividend and interest income with return of capital in their popularly reported yields. In the case of GABUX, the revelation that their actual yield was roughly 15% of their reported yield came only in near the end of the annual report.

If I understand you correctly, at least with the TIPS funds you are discussing, it is a yield, but it is not the "real" yield.

I am coming around to the idea that for the great majority of investors, they should buy a good selection of funds from Vanguard and then go play pinochle.

Anybody should understand that a fund cannot yield more than its underlying securities, in fact it must yield less, the amount less depending only on the size of the drag from the costs. So if no TIPS security yields anywhere close to 6% real, how could the fund?

If one is not prepared to think even a little, he should stay home. :)

Ha

If one is not prepared to think even a little, he should stay home. :)

Ha

That requirement would certainly make it easier to get a seats at restaurants etc. The bad news is would certainly cut into our girl watching opportunities. :D . (And boy watching for the woman)

If I understand you correctly, at least with the TIPS funds you are discussing, it is a yield, but it is not the "real" yield.

Yep, in "real" terms it is effectively a return of capital, and it occurs because the TIPS mutual funds pay out the inflation component while the underlying bonds add the inflation component to the principal.

That requirement would certainly make it easier to get a seats at restaurants etc. The bad news is would certainly cut into our girl watching opportunities. :D . (And boy watching for the woman)
Glad you mentioned that. Today was our first truly warm day, so I sat in front of a coffee house down on Broadway and watched women sporting the most lovely bottoms in existence come undulating by.

It is my opinion, after much careful thought, that dresses, rather than jeans or even tights are the most arousing because they allow a freer movement of the hips and buttocks.

Summertime, a perfect time for love...

Ha

Glad you mentioned that. Today was our first truly warm day, so I sat in front of a coffee house down on Broadway and watched women sporting the most lovely bottoms in existence come undulating by.

Summertime, a perfect time for love...

Ha

I bet the level of financial literacy wasn't on your mind.

I guess my thinking it is that it is a completely meaningless number. They're taking a variable portion of return (the inflation adjustment) from one period and annualizing it to arrive at an SEC yield. I don't see much difference between this and including capital appreciation in the yield calculation.

And although I recognize that increased financial literacy would help (alarm bells should go off in anyone's mind about a TIPS fund yielding 6% when the highest yielding bond outstanding is around 1.75%) we should expect more from presumably reputable companies.

Expected inflation is a part of the yield on nominal bonds too. Whether annualizing the latest inflation adjustment is right or wrong depends on whether the last month is a typical month. If it is, then including inflation adjustment makes it comparable with nominal bond yield. If it's abnormally high or low, doing so will make the yield appear high or low - you have to remember it cuts both ways. Nobody said it was the real yield.

Back
Top Bottom