Promoting Bruise Healing

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm trying to get some more mobility in my bruised thumb (bruised last Sunday) before a piano gig on Friday.

Here's what I've gotten from the Intergoogle:

First 48 hours: Ice, no aspirin or ibuprofen (I've been taking acetaminophen)
After 48 hours: Heat and gentle massage

Does that sound right? Any other tips?

Thanks.

RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation)

RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation)
I was just going to say that a doctor told me the other day that they dropped one of the ice/heat duo but I couldn't remember which one. I guess it was heat?

When I get the occasional running injury (achy knee, or achy ankle) I found Naprosyn (Alleve brand name) more effective than the other analgesics.

You want to reduce/prevent internal scar tissue from building up. I think this is why they put folks on stationary bikes who have pulled hamstrings. Basically, no resistance, but the they keep the muscle moving.

What part of your thumb is bruised?

I vote for amputation.

Actually, your Rx of ice is good, and if there is some way to keep compression on it, that should help too.

I'm trying to get some more mobility in my bruised thumb (bruised last Sunday) before a piano gig on Friday.

Here's what I've gotten from the Intergoogle:

First 48 hours: Ice, no aspirin or ibuprofen (I've been taking acetaminophen)
After 48 hours: Heat and gentle massage

Does that sound right? Any other tips?

Thanks.

As soon as you can tolerate it, I would start trying to put it through gentle range of motion exercises. You want the blood to keep flowing to promote healing. If you just totally rest it, it will get tight.

I was just going to say that a doctor told me the other day that they dropped one of the ice/heat duo but I couldn't remember which one. I guess it was heat?

I heard that they modified stuff too. Years ago, they just chucked you in ice for a couple hours. Now, you are only supposed to ice 15-20 minutes, and then let it rest for 2-3 hours, and repeat.

Elevation is important in the first days of an injury. However, I had a sports orthopedic guy tell me that compression is not used as much as it once was.

What part of your thumb is bruised?

The darkest bruise is around the knuckle and the fleshy part near the palm. But there is some swelling extending over the back of the hand to the index.

A hot bath and hot water on it seems to have improved it a bit, at least temporarily. I played a little piano, and it worked OK.

Hope for the best but go to your gig prepared for the worst. The repetitive impact of playing for a couple of hours can be substantial.

Take some of that stretchy adhesive bandage stuff with you and some tape and scissors. It comes in various widths and the cushioning and compression may be helpful. Are you playing more than one set? Consider icing your thumb between sets and have an ant-inflammatory on board before the show starts.

Playing with injuries rots but generally is slightly less horrible than canceling a show.

Self-Adhesive-Elastic-Cotton-Bandage-Flesh-Colored-.jpg

It may take months to health if it is sprained. I had a finger sprain that still swelled up 2 months after the injury just from any use. The doc said, "Not even close to broken."
Do you see those NBA players with all their fingers taped?

Soaking in epsom salts seem to perform miracles for me for almost anything injured or ailing. I don't know why they work but they do. Can't hurt.

Thanks for the tips.

Once I smashed my thumb while skiiing. The hand whipped down hard on a released-ski. I immediately put it in the snow, and kept it iced. But it still took at least a year to become fully healed.

This time it's healing faster.

Back
Top Bottom